New Member - SoCal

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

subaru_2376

New Member - SoCal

#1 Post by subaru_2376 »

Greetings,

Finally took the plunge and bought a 1970 Subaru Truck. Had been somewhat interested in 360's from afar when I had several Honda 600's, (I hated the fact that the Honda 600 cranks were not serviceable), but was never able to find a decent 360..... I also did not realize the wealth of information here and after reading thru many posts see that there seems to be a true comradery which is a breath of fresh air!

Thank you all for this site!

For the most part The Truck is fairly rust free other than some surface rust and a rough spot near the drivers side. I was able to get the motor running after some tinkering with the carburetor/gaskets and timing! Brakes need R/R but already reading thru the posts and the grease gun trick saved me much time, (thank you!). I did make one newbie mistake and took a blow torch to the cylinders. While it was not much heat and I kept the tourch moving I am worried I may have warped one of the cylinders, (fingers crossed).

Thank you all for the site and see you on the Message Threads!

Here is a picture of the Truck.

BR,
Rick
Last edited by subaru_2376 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

Re: New Member - SoCal

#2 Post by Sigmaz »

Welcome! You've come to the right place.

I'm pretty sure unless you used a cutting torch and got the jugs red hot and banged or dropped them they should probably be just fine.

Now mind you, I wasn't there and I"m not sure how much heat we're taking about but warming them up a little typically shouldn't do any damage.

Anyway, if you got them 'that' hot the aluminum pistons would have melted away into the crankcase.

We love pictures here no matter how ugly.. please feel free to post as many as you can.
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#3 Post by 2stroketurbo »

The brake cylinder pistons are steel Mr. Sigmaz, I hope one of the front cylinders did not get warped, rear cylinders are more common. Welcome to the club bub!
ImageImageImage

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#4 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the club! I have two running sedans and a truck on the way. If you have any spare truck parts I might be interested. I am supposed to get my truck this Friday. If I have any spares you need we'll talk.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

carlofsumner
360 Master

#5 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome to the club. As you have already found out everyone is here to help each other (without ego), what a group. While I've been a member for about a year I just bought a sedan and will pick it up on Saturday (I'm smiling)! You can see it under the My Restoration Project thread, it's Carl's New Project. Good luck with the truck.

CDJ
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#6 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club! I have taken a lot of front cyls apart with a torch
when grease gun method would not budge the pistons. Most cleaned
up OK, those that didn't were pitted or scratched and needed to be
sleeved anyway. Rear cyls. PRESS apart since they are in a line.

I have all sizes of brake seals, new (not NOS) from Raybestos at a
fraction of what you pay at the parts store, if you want some you
need to see if the rears are 11/16, 5/8 or one of each.

E-MAIL me and I can e-mail you all my lists.

Ed Parsil in Tucson
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

oldone
360 Master

#7 Post by oldone »

Welcome to the club! Nice looking truck but we will need more pics? :wink: Is that a snowplow mount on the front??? :lol:

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#8 Post by Sigmaz »

2stroketurbo wrote:The brake cylinder pistons are steel Mr. Sigmaz, I hope one of the front cylinders did not get warped, rear cylinders are more common. Welcome to the club bub!

I for some reason thought he was talking about the cylinder, cylinders.. the combustion chambers..
I cant for the life of me, looking back at his post understand why my mind went down that track?
But I did refer to them as jugs.. so I was clear as to what I was talking about.. it was just out of context.

Wierd.
It must have been before my morning coffee set in.

I really have no idea why my mind switched the topic from brakes to piston/cylinders. I'm truely baffled on this one.....
-Jon
ImageImage

oldone
360 Master

#9 Post by oldone »

Sigmaz wrote:
2stroketurbo wrote:The brake cylinder pistons are steel Mr. Sigmaz, I hope one of the front cylinders did not get warped, rear cylinders are more common. Welcome to the club bub!

I for some reason thought he was talking about the cylinder, cylinders.. the combustion chambers..
I cant for the life of me, looking back at his post understand why my mind went down that track?
But I did refer to them as jugs.. so I was clear as to what I was talking about.. it was just out of context.

Wierd.
It must have been before my morning coffee set in.

I really have no idea why my mind switched the topic from brakes to piston/cylinders. I'm truely baffled on this one.....
Ian & I are not surprised, your mind is often off track,derailed by someting in the lab! :lol: :lol: :lol: Fox news noted a tramp freighter carrying Japanese freight was pirated yesterday??? :shock:

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#10 Post by Sigmaz »

oldone wrote: Fox news noted a tramp freighter carrying Japanese freight was pirated yesterday??? :shock:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
:x :cry: :shock:
-Jon
ImageImage

SuBillRu

#11 Post by SuBillRu »

Hey is that the Barn Find truck that was on Ebay? Looked like a great find. Glad someone in the club snapped it up. Oh and welcome to the club, you are now officially touched in the head with the 360 bug. Hahahahaha enjoy!
1967 (actually a '69)( shhhh don't tell the DMV) 360 deluxe
1970 subaru 360 pick up truck (wht)
1971 Subaru 360 Pick up Truck stake bed (blk)

subaru_2376

#12 Post by subaru_2376 »

Hi,

Yes that was the Truck from Lake Arrowhead, CA.

I had to have the M/C Re-sleeved and replaced rubber in all the cylinders.

Thanks Ed for the seals!

Reading thru the BOR has been a huge help in going thru everything.... Still needs more work/parts but I was able to road test and no major issues thus far.

Thank You,
Rick