Restoration of site

Discussion forum or Subaru360Club.org Site Feedback - Let us hear your suggestions to make our club better!

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

oldone
360 Master

Restoration of site

#1 Post by oldone »

Jon The Lab Rat..... Thank you for keeping this going, Jamie knows how to get you going on our problems. Wish you would get another 360! Miss you on the forum. Thanks again. Oldone

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

Re: Restoration of site

#2 Post by subaru360nut »

I guess that's why I kept getting an ERROR message yesterday and today until now. Good to have my favorite site back!

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#3 Post by Sigmaz »

Hey guys, it’s always been my pleasure to help keep the site going. It’s my favorite site as well.
I have been looking around a little, sort of feeling the bug again and I think it’s beginning to be time for another 360.

I’ve been really busy at work and stuff around the house including trying to get going on putting up a tower for my Mosley but I can’t bring it home from where I bought it yet because my truck is in the shop getting new gears installed.

The truck should have been finished by now but the shop said one of the ring gears was chipped and they needed to order a new set.
I honestly think it’s something else like they are waiting for someone to swing by that knows how to properly set up the pattern or they forgot the master install kit....dealers ....but I digress.

Good to see you all. Hope everyone is in good health.
Ttyl
Jon
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

oldone
360 Master

#4 Post by oldone »

Jon The day's of Dealerships having Mechanics is gone . We now have Tech's that plug the scanner in & it tells them what's wrong, then tells them where the part is to be replaced. They don't rebuild motors or trannys anymore , they install a new or factory rebuilt.
That said there are some old timers still being Mechanics, but are getting fewer & fewer.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#5 Post by Sigmaz »

Too true.. too true.
The only reason they are putting them in is because the truck only has 2k on the clock and I'm not about to go messing up the warranty by doing it myself.

They aren't bad, just the wrong ratio for the size tires on the rig.
Sucker was hunting for gears on the highway..

37" tires + 3.73:1 + aerodynamics of a wall = 11mpg
-Jon
ImageImage

oldone
360 Master

#6 Post by oldone »

What brand of truck, the Fords go in & out of lockup. & the ten speeds hunt gears in the hills& high winds.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#7 Post by Sigmaz »

The 'truck' is my new Jeep Gladiator.
As much of a truck as that is lol...
Actually, they are pretty good for truck things.
It has an 8 speed transmission that is always trying to find the best gear on the highway but with these tires it can't get top gear.
I also want to tow a travel trailer so we need to get the ratio back to or better than stock. I wouldn't mind seeing the sticker 17/22 mpg either. Hah

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

-Jon
ImageImage

oldone
360 Master

#8 Post by oldone »

You put bigger tires & wheels on it??? If so the speed sensors, speedometer, throttle sensor & the engine rpm doesn't make sense to the computer??????

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#9 Post by Sigmaz »

Nah.. That's all accounted for.
The dealer tools can be used to adjust the parameters so the vehicle can make sense of it all.
For us home-gamers, you need a security gateway bypass cable and a nice little app called JScan that gives you access to update all the specifics like tire size, gear ratio
You can even turn on and off features you don't want to pay for and other doo-dads.. even disable the asinine auto start function.

It's all on the CANBUS now-a-days.

You can't do anything anymore without one of the several computers getting involved.

Geeze even the horn goes through the CANBUS. Gone are the days of bumping the horn for a quick beep-beep.. darn computer debounces the button and either won't beep or gives you a proper beeeep.

The problem we are addressing now is that the factory 3.73's bring the rpms down too low at highway speed and the computer wants to keep the engine in it's optimal rpm range wile balancing economy.. it's a delicate dance and when you wonk out the ratio this far it just says '7th and 8th.. nah'
I read that the guys with 4.10's get by but it's a little meh' on the mileage. If you do the math 4.88 will be a little better off than the 4.10's
I was thinking 5.13 but the pinions are like the size of baby rattles.. with 37's?? Yeah, that's a formula for failure.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

-Jon
ImageImage

oldone
360 Master

#10 Post by oldone »

The F 150s run down the road at 80MPH at 1600 rpms???
Being old school I prefer vehicles without computers. I also like the fuel mileage & power for the ones with them. My Smart Car is a hoot to drive, and is driven more than any other in the fleet. Five speed with dry clutch, no torque converter & no clutch pedal, Brake & throttle control the drive or you can paddle shift on the steering wheel.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#11 Post by Sigmaz »

Smarts are blast! I have wanted one for years..
Yeah as to the RPM’s with the 8 speed computer controlled nightmare between the engine and the wheels, I get very little say.
It wants the engine to be in a sweet spot.. I’ve seen 8th gear on a long downhill grade before, but as soon as I press ever so slightly on the pedal it senses it doesn’t have enough torque and downshifts, usually to 6th or even 5th if I am going up a hill.
Best mpg I’ve seen with the current setup has been 15 or so but that took some careful driving. Economy and torque will return with the new gears.
-Jon
ImageImage

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#12 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Jon,
Thanks for getting us up again
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy