Private messages taking forever to send?

Discussion forum or Subaru360Club.org Site Feedback - Let us hear your suggestions to make our club better!

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

scoobie360
360 Fanatic

Private messages taking forever to send?

#1 Post by scoobie360 »

I've had a private message in my outbox for 12 hours now?! Is this normal or is there something wrong? I figured they should send instantly?

oldone
360 Master

Re: Private messages taking forever to send?

#2 Post by oldone »

scoobie360 wrote:I've had a private message in my outbox for 12 hours now?! Is this normal or is there something wrong? I figured they should send instantly?
maybe it doesn't have the proper amount of postage! :lol: i fired one to you did you get it??? fire one my way and see what happens wayne

scoobie360
360 Fanatic

#3 Post by scoobie360 »

Lol! Ok I'm sending one right now!

Subie Gal
Site Admin

#4 Post by Subie Gal »

It is not stuck there :)

The outbox is where your private messages go before they are read by the person you are sending them to.

Once the message has been read by the recipient the message will move to the sent box.

This way you can edit or delete the message (if you need to) before it has been read. :)
1970 360 Sambar Van aka Stanley
1970 360 Sambar Truck aka Dirty
1970 360 Sedan - yet to be named.
1970 Subaru FF-1

scoobie360
360 Fanatic

#5 Post by scoobie360 »

Ohhhhhh! I was wondering! That makes a lot of sense! I'm smart I promise :roll: lol thanks subiegal!

books1
360 Master

#6 Post by books1 »

You'll have to pm the recipient to tell them to read their IN box.....

no wait..... that won't work..... <sigh> never mind... :? :?

StevenM
360 Master

#7 Post by StevenM »

OH! I was wondering about that "msg sitting in the outbox" thing myself. Jamie, now that you explain it, it makes sense. It's not "email", so there's nowhere for it to go before the recipient reads it --- no "outgoing server", no "incoming server". I think "sent" is not really accurate, maybe "delivered"?

Steve

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

Garm
360 Master

#8 Post by Garm »

The outbox is where your private messages go before they are read by the person you are sending them to.

Once the message has been read by the recipient the message will move to the sent box.
I wondered about that too. Now I know.

scoobie360
360 Fanatic

#9 Post by scoobie360 »

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one lol:)

Smithrob1
360 Fanatic

#10 Post by Smithrob1 »

PM's are nothing more than "posts" (like all of the ones we share publicly) with specific restrictions on who they are visible to. Jamie is exactly right, and Steve, you hit the nail on the head - the data doesn't pass through any "servers" or "exchanges"...it posts to the bulletin board like the rest of them....it's just configured to be visible only to the persons involved...when it is read by a recipient...the attributes are changed to tell it to show up in a different area (sent instead of outbox), while still only being visible to those involved....much like all of the other posts carry "data descriptors" that tell them WHERE to display (categories, sub-categories, etc), etc... Php Bulletin Boards are a wonderful thing....it brings us all together in several ways and allows the sharing of text, photo, video....you name it - it shares it and it's easily navigable.

In short......it is really swell!! :D :D
~Smitty (Robert Smith) | Proud Owner of a 1969 Subaru 360 Van ~The Mistress~
Web: http://www.smittymicro.com

Garm
360 Master

#11 Post by Garm »

^ With all of that said, I've been posting in and running forums and message boards for a long time, and have never seen this feature before.

Smithrob1
360 Fanatic

#12 Post by Smithrob1 »

Micro Image wrote:^ With all of that said, I've been posting in and running forums and message boards for a long time, and have never seen this feature before.
Out of all the forums I've been on, only one other does it this way & that only started after an update a year or so back. I thought the same thing (PM's failing to send for a long time), but the admin who updated it explained the same thing (and that initially, he thought it was an error too). The rest of the forums I use (one for each of my motorcycles, etc) don't do it this way. PM goes from outbox to sent folder right away.

I'm pretty good with computers & website construction, but admittedly, some of the mechanics of these forum software systems baffle me. I love 'em and they do amazing things....but they have hiccups like everything else....

Still love it!!

Smithrob1
360 Fanatic

#13 Post by Smithrob1 »

..the other forum that does the same thing with PM's is a newer version of phpBB. We were on this version for awhile and a few updates ago was when the PM behavior was noticed.

books1
360 Master

#14 Post by books1 »

Well strange things have been happening overnight (in Oz)....

First, my icon/avatar has returned as mysteriously as it disappeared around a month or so ago <wooohooo!>;

Second; the "View Active Topics" link now has stopped working for me, so I have started using the "View New posts" link instead.

Weird...!

Anyhoo, my "Wishlist" for this Forum includes duplicate links for: "View Unanswered Posts", View Active Topics", View Unread Posts", etc.) at the foot of the page, to save having to scroll back up to the top each time.... Should I submit that suggestion to "Site Feedback" ?

Cheers,

Ian

Subie Gal
Site Admin

#15 Post by Subie Gal »

books1 wrote: Anyhoo, my "Wishlist" for this Forum includes duplicate links for: "View Unanswered Posts", View Active Topics", View Unread Posts", etc.) at the foot of the page, to save having to scroll back up to the top each time.... Should I submit that suggestion to "Site Feedback" ?

Cheers,

Ian

hi Ian

I'm not certain the software will allow us to move these items around, but why not submit your request anyway :)

Jon (Sigmaz) is the expert on the phpbb software and can probably look into this for you
1970 360 Sambar Van aka Stanley
1970 360 Sambar Truck aka Dirty
1970 360 Sedan - yet to be named.
1970 Subaru FF-1

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#16 Post by Sigmaz »

Ian, I was working on the site last night and repaired the avatar display issue.

I feel confident that I'll be able to address the nonfunctional active post link this afternoon or evening.

Once I get all of my windows open, and other bugs worked out I'll see about duplicating the option on the footer of the pages for ya.
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#17 Post by Sigmaz »

As per your request, View links duplicated.

Now to get them working again..
:?
-Jon
ImageImage

books1
360 Master

#18 Post by books1 »

You Sir, are a genius! (Jon)

Links duly spotted before I read this post and i gave a genuine "WOOHOO!"

Good work that man!

:D

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#19 Post by Sigmaz »

No problem.

I hope you enjoy them in good health :roll:
-Jon
ImageImage

oldone
360 Master

#20 Post by oldone »

Subie Gal wrote:
books1 wrote: Anyhoo, my "Wishlist" for this Forum includes duplicate links for: "View Unanswered Posts", View Active Topics", View Unread Posts", etc.) at the foot of the page, to save having to scroll back up to the top each time.... Should I submit that suggestion to "Site Feedback" ?

Cheers,

Ian

hi Ian

I'm not certain the software will allow us to move these items around, but why not submit your request anyway :)

Jon (Sigmaz) is the expert on the phpbb software and can probably look into this for you
that would put them at the head of the page for the rest of us :?