New to this forum

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

stevec
360 Newbie

New to this forum

#1 Post by stevec »

I've corresponded with Ed for few years now, and Jamie to a lesser extent, and figured it was time to sign up for these forums. I honestly don't know a whole lot about the Subaru 360's, but have been into the old Suzuki kei-class 4x4's, the LJ10 and LJ20, for about 10 years now, and own a website dedicated to them, http://www.lj10.com.

My interest in the Subaru's came about when I learned that our cars share some common parts. About 5 years ago I created a side business so that I could order parts for my LJ's, as well as others, easier. Suzuki dealerships aren't as prevalent as most other car makes, and even if you have a dealer in your town, they probably have never heard of an LJ10, so a lot of people have trouble getting parts, or even knowing what is available. I don't sell these parts for profit, but by setting myself up as a legitimate business, I earn a lot more respect from the companies I deal with, thus getting better prices. Quite a few Subaru owners have bought from me already, my business name is Brute 4 Parts. (The Suzuki LJ's sold in the US in the early 70's were called Suzuki Brute's, or the Suzuki Brute IV.)

I'd like to take a long look at the 360's, especially the engine, to see what other parts are common. Let's face it, there just aren't very many Subaru 360's around, nor are there many Suzuki LJ10's, but between the two of them, there may be enough vehicles to start producing reproduction parts, or to increase production (thus lowering all of our costs), or at least to not stop production. I've been chastised on my website for selling the Nippondenso caps and rotors to Subaru owners, but I believe I am actually helping out both of our causes. These parts are still being produced for Suzuki, but this will only happen as long as there is sufficient demand for them. Subaru no longer sells them, but by selling the Suzuki parts to Subaru owners, the demand from Suzuki is increased, so they are more likely to keep having them produced. Similarly, LJ10 pistons are no longer available, and a few people tried to have some made, with no luck. Last year I contacted Wiseco Pistons, as a business, and was able to have a batch of pistons made. Recently I was told that Subaru 360 pistons are the same as Suzuki LJ10 pistons. (Subaru's are 61.5mm bore vs. 61.0mm for Suzuki, but I had mostly oversize pistons made anyway.) I sold a set to a guy, but the last I heard he had not yet installed them. If they do indeed fit the Subaru 360's, I will sell them to people here as well, and if enough people want them, I can do a larger order next time, which lowers our cost. :D

Sorry for the long-winded initial post, but I wanted to make sure everyone knew who I was, and where I'm coming from, especially since I don't actually own a Subaru (at least, not yet! :wink:)

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#2 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome Steve! Glad to have you onboard. I think you can be a great asset to the 360 group. I hope in return we can do something for you and the Suzuki crowd.....I wish we could have met @ the NW meet, maybe next year? Mark
ImageImageImage

stevec
360 Newbie

#3 Post by stevec »

Hi Mark, I will do my best to be there next year! Just have too much going on this summer - I'm canceling a trip for this weekend too, but the following weekend I WILL be out of the house! (for the meteor shower)

Do keep me on your list for future meets, and thanks for the warm welcome! :D

mpilihp
360 Master

#4 Post by mpilihp »

Hi Steve and welcom, I got a few items from you for my 360, points and a cap i think. I like your how-to section on your website. Would like to simplify the brake maint on the 360 with disc, read your howto on doing that on a suzuki.
~ Phil Morneault

Trying to make one running 360 from three!

Tom
360 Master

#5 Post by Tom »

Hi, Steve

I also have some parts from you. The previous owner of my 360 got a cap and rotor from you. They are still working fine.
-Tom