Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

jlindsay
360 Newbie

#1 Post by jlindsay »

Hi Everyone, My name is Jeff and I'm a new member and a new 360 owner, #9741. It has low miles, very little rust and is fairly complete but has been sitting for the better part of 20 years so all systems will need attention. I'm an experienced home mechanic with several rebuilds and restorations over the last 40+ years. I've always been a British car and motorcycle guy but this will be my first venture with a Japanese vehicle. I've already packed away my SAE and Whitworth wrenches and assembled all my metric stuff! I've been on a few British forums before and I'll try my darndest not to be that irritating newbie that immediately asks all the questions that have been previously answered ad nauseam without even trying to research them first. I've read the BOR and have my parts and service manuals at hand! I'm starting with an overall disassembly beginning with the braking system.... and, yes, I've already encountered the dreaded stuck rear drums. I rigged up a rubber gasket and a large washer to hold some PB Blaster on the splines and with the help of a 4 ton bottle jack they came off without incident. All that being said, I have my first question for everyone. I'll ask it now but I'll also post it in the appropriate category. How do you remove the V-shaped trim pieces behind the body air vents? Obviously, you remove the visible screw at the rear. It appears when looking up behind them through the taillight hole that there are hidden screws that must attach some sort of bracket that the trim slides over? Help.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

Re: new member

#2 Post by subaru360nut »

Jeff - welcome to The Club! I looked up K111L 9741 on the master list I keep of 360s owned (or reported) by Club members.
Sure enough, it was there with "sold online by anonymous non-member" - which I have replaced with "Jeff Lindsay" :D
It was listed in FLORIDA, is that where you are?

Sounds like you are figuring out the 360s eccentricities very well. See P.148 of the SEDAN PARTS MANUAL for how the air scoop attaches.

Any help you need, just post on this site and somebody will answer. We exist to help each other keep our Favorite Vehicles on the road and running on BOTH cylinders!

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

oldone
360 Master

#3 Post by oldone »

Jeff Welcome aboard, ask all the ?s you want, we like answering them. Put your location in the left column of the page.

books1
360 Master

#4 Post by books1 »

Yes Jeff, what they said------^

- BE that irritating newbie, we don't mind!! :D

Welcome to the Club from waaaay downunder!

PS: Piccys are LOVED by these Forums!!

AnthonyC
360 Master

#5 Post by AnthonyC »

Welcome to the club. There are a lot of very talented here that have a vast amount of knowledge to take advantage of. If you need parts as well I can help

books1
360 Master

#6 Post by books1 »

How's progress anyway, Jeff?

jlindsay
360 Newbie

#7 Post by jlindsay »

Hi books1, Sorry it's taken so long to reply to your warm welcome. I never saw the recent replies to my initial welcome post until today. Progress has been steady and mostly positive. I'm experienced with rebuilds and restorations and I've learned that to be successful you need to stay focused and try to do something, however small, every day. I've completed the major disassembly and started rebuilding the drivetrain. During lulls or while waiting for parts, I move to the bodywork. While my 360 is relatively rust free, it has a hundred dents, dings and previous bodges to remedy. I've gotten into the habit of completing the wheel restorations first with my projects so I have something finished to look at and keep me inspired. The 360 is no different so I've completed the wheels/tires. I preferred the look of the exposed drums but didn't care for the wheel cover clips so I removed them. Plus, I wanted the rears to match the front so I located two wheel centers on Jauce and fitted them to the rear drum. If you're curious how I attached them... I epoxied in small areas like the front drums then tapped them out for the new centers. Anyway, lots more going on so I'll post more in the appropriate subject columns as I progress. As a matter of fact, I'm experiencing a very perplexing gearbox issue that I'll post about later so please have a read and let me know what you think! Jeff
Attachments
carb2.jpg
carb2.jpg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
carb1.jpg
front wheel.jpg
front wheel1.jpg

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#8 Post by subaru360nut »

You are missing several important parts of the carburetor!
See P. 16 thru 19 in the BOOK OF REPRINTS and read the article in a Newsletter
maybe a year old on HOW NOT TO RUIN YOUR CARBURETOR.
You can't just go out and buy a new one :shock:

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

jlindsay
360 Newbie

#9 Post by jlindsay »

Hi Ed, I don't believe I'm missing any carb parts. I included the carb pics just to show my fellow members that I'm trying to be pretty thorough with the cleaning portion of my project. That pic was taken after cleaning and then just loosely reassembled while awaiting the rebuild kit. I've had the carb apart, cleaned it and rebuilt it with all new jets, gaskets, etc. It's already been re-installed and works perfectly after a slight adjustment to the float level. Thanks for keeping an eye on me though! Jeff

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#10 Post by subaru360nut »

Where did you find a rebuild kit for the carb??

The only one I ever saw contained 90% jets and air bleeds
that do not match any 360 carb, and was missing the
needle/seat parts.

Ed

jlindsay
360 Newbie

#11 Post by jlindsay »

Hi Ed, I found a complete kit on Jauce... https://www.jauce.com/auction/e1041884294

It contained a selection of jets/needles that included the proper sizes for the 360 sedan.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#12 Post by subaru360nut »

Way better than the only one I ever saw.

How much is 10,000 yen in US$?

Ed

jlindsay
360 Newbie

#13 Post by jlindsay »

Less than $100. I thought shipping from Japan would be prohibitive but it's quick and no more than from across the US!

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#14 Post by subaru360nut »

Thanks! I have never found a good source of carb parts before, especially needle/seat valves.

Ed

ozzmonaut
360 Newbie

#15 Post by ozzmonaut »

jlindsay wrote: 2 years ago Less than $100. I thought shipping from Japan would be prohibitive but it's quick and no more than from across the US!
It says that the auction is blocked because it can not be shipped internationally.
It does state that you can request to unblock the auction and the seller will review the request.
Was there any trouble getting this to the U.S.?
It also states that the price is up to 11000 yen , but the price difference is no too much in usd.

jlindsay
360 Newbie

#16 Post by jlindsay »

Nearly all of the auctions will say that they don't ship internationally but that won't affect you. Jauce operates differently than ebay. The sellers in Japan ship the purchased item to the Jauce warehouse in Japan. Jauce holds it for up to 60 days for you so you can shop for other items then combine all of your purchased items into one shipment. First, open an account, then click on the blocked sign of an auction. It will say it's under review and usually within 24hrs you'll be approved and able to bid. Once you place a bid, Jauce will request that you place that much money into your account. Then Jauce will keep you posted on the bidding for that item on your email.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#17 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Jeff, I'm late to the welcome party but Welcome. Looks like your well on your way. I personally love pics and video, Just saying
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy