Hello from Oregon!!

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

dohc91gli

Hello from Oregon!!

#1 Post by dohc91gli »

Amidst these crazy Covid times, there has been a slight upside! More time to go to my dad’s, help him do some tasks, and unbury the 1970 360 van he gave me sooo many years ago. It’s been in roughly the same place since 1991 when he and my mom purchased it from the second owner. It had suffered a couple bumps and bruises. But hopefully with a little help, some elbow grease, and time. It will be back on the road! It’s been under cover since ‘91 in my dad’s shop, so it hasn’t been exposed to the elements since then. Wait, does that make it a “Barn find”? Anyway. I might start making a list of some needed parts. If anyone feels so inclined, feel free to let me know anything that I should check on as well. I know I will need a passenger side window :( and at some point I believe before we bought it, (maybe the people that put it on the trailer to deliver it) had somehow mangled and torn out the gas pedal linkage from the floor underneath. Perhaps didn’t see the tiny little hidden tow hook under there and attached a rope or whatever to the first thing they saw? Hard telling, not knowing I guess. Anyhow, my name is Beau, and happy to be a part of the club!!

oldone
360 Master

Re: Hello from Oregon!!

#2 Post by oldone »

Welcome from Norman Okla. :D I'll be the first to say "We like Pics"!!! so load us some up. :lol: Mark Hattan in Portland may be of some help.???

dohc91gli

#3 Post by dohc91gli »

And to give an idea of the extent of the buried-ness... the left of the green Buick was packed full of old model A parts. This was taken before we pulled the Buick out, and started the recovery of the van.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#4 Post by subaru360nut »

Beau - welcome to The Club! We are here to help.
I drove a van just like yours every day for 40 years and 2 months.
I only sold it when the time came that I could still "get out and get under -
but had trouble getting up again. That was 5 years ago and I was only 81. :lol:

I still recondition carburetors and oil pumps for Club members who need it -
I can do both of those sitting down :D

But Mark Hatten is right there in Portland, and he can fix anything on your
360. So consult with him when you have work that you are not comfortable
doing.

Hope you are safe from the fires and the virus! We have had the smoke here
in Tucson for more than a week, I can't imagine how thick it must be there! :(

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

dohc91gli

#5 Post by dohc91gli »

Thanks for the well wishes! Family in the salem area had a close call, But it all turned out alright. Some did not fair so well not too far away. The Van is now sitting where the Buick was in the last photo. It was a pretty hectic Adventure getting it out with the angle we had to pull from. We pulled 2 feet or so but had to stop before it hit the Hudson terraplane body it was beside. Myself and a couple stronger backs to slide the front back over, three or four more times of the same and she slid right on out from her 28 year resting place. Had a couple close calls due to my dad which is pretty hard of hearing running the tractor :shock:, but it all worked out.

The rear wheels were frozen up and sliding. If I remember correctly the front two were free. I suppose the first thing to do when I get it home is to tear into the brakes, and start sourcing parts.i think the worst of the damage is the front drivers side has been tapped doesn’t look to be too hard, but enough that the left front door drags on the door jam. :(

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#6 Post by subaru360nut »

The rear brakes may be stuck because the parking brake has been on
all those years and the cables are stuck. Do not try to pull the drums
until they will turn freely. With the parking brake OFF try moving the
flexible sections of each cable back near the rear brakes. Sometimes
that will get the cable core moving inside the housing and loosen it so
the drum will turn.

If that doesn't work there are other solutions in the BOOK OF REPRINTS
which you can download free - go to PUBLICATIONS section on this
message board. You should get that book anyway, it will answer 95%
of questions about 360 repair and maintenance.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#7 Post by subaru360nut »

Beau - if all else fails, see the article on P. 349 in the BOOK OF REPRINTS,
it details a method of getting at the rear shoes with the drum still on the axle.

Ed

dohc91gli

#8 Post by dohc91gli »

Perfect. I have to bring a Ford f250 and the 360 back with me. When things slow down a bit I’ll be able to take the traveling beam landoll trailer from my work. It’s more than long enough to bring both back in one trip. It also has a winch. Which is nice. :P

carlofsumner
360 Master

#9 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome to the group. I live in Tacoma, WA and get down your way from time to time, but Mark can sure help if he has the time.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

JustinTheSambar
360 Fanatic

#10 Post by JustinTheSambar »

Looks to be in great shape. I wish my front end looked as straight. This weekend I custom bent some motorcycle mirror stems and slapped on the rusty bent up bumper that was sitting in the back when i bought it. Looks like you've got at least one original side mirror. Sweet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uee8dygKzyZEH4ej9

Justin

dohc91gli

#11 Post by dohc91gli »

I believe the other one is inside, and the other half in the “Subaru” badge is in the glove box.

oldone
360 Master

#12 Post by oldone »

Front Subaru or Sambar badge is repoped by Bobby De Cola.

books1
360 Master

#13 Post by books1 »

Welcome from downunder......

It's an UNburial Find! :D

dohc91gli

#14 Post by dohc91gli »

Went down this past Sunday. Checked on the brakes. Fronts weren’t stuck, passenger rear needed some persuasion, but came loose. Drivers rear is still stuck. Soaking it with penetrating oil, I’ll try again this coming weekend. Here are some more photos. A little more detailed. Engine, damage, ect ect.
This is the linkage for the gas pedal, looks like someone hooked to it or something at some point.
And finally... this seat was in the rear. This is not the factory rear seat correct?

Let me know what you think. I’m very concerned about the front end...

oldone
360 Master

#15 Post by oldone »

Hello It looks like someone was going to install an electric fuel pump... The factory vacuum fuel pump was good, except the check valve springs failed, I have had them reopped in stainless No wiring switches or relays. On the throttle linkage, someone used it for a tow hook.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#16 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the group. If your near Mark H. Your in good shape. The rest of us will do what ever we can to see another 360 on the road. I mostly have sedan parts but I'm willing to help. I also have Wiseco Pistons if needed.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

Gamestermike89

#17 Post by Gamestermike89 »

Like the others said, mark is your man. He owns mph specialties out of portland. He owns at least 7 running 360s and countless other parts cars. He specializes in microcar repair and loves them. He is your local guru.
1969 Subaru 360 sedan
1982 Cadillac Fleetwood brougham.
1999 Toyota Camry (every day beater)

dohc91gli

#18 Post by dohc91gli »

Yeah, I’ve seen a bunch of online content from Mark. He isn’t too far from me. I live in McMinnville, so he’s about an hour away.

jcimino
360 Master

#19 Post by jcimino »

dohc91gli wrote: 3 years ago Yeah, I’ve seen a bunch of online content from Mark. He isn’t too far from me. I live in McMinnville, so he’s about an hour away.
Welcome to the group. About an hour away? Lucky you don’t live here, we say that’s around the corner. :D
Jim Cimino

books1
360 Master

#20 Post by books1 »

Just across the pond from here! :)

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#21 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Just getting caught up here..somehow I got busy restoring other microcars..I missed a bunch of stuff I see,... I may have that van window you need. MarkImage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ImageImageImage