New to Subaru 360 forum and have been offered a truck

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Ted494
360 Master

New to Subaru 360 forum and have been offered a truck

#1 Post by Ted494 »

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am new to the forum and to Subaru 360's.

I have a few other cars but am looking for either a van or truck. I am based in Munich, Germany but come from Scotland. Both countries unfortunately never imported these cool micro machines so I will be looking to import one at some point.

I have already been offered a 1969 truck in Portugal for 7500€ but wanted to get your insight into it. LHD and shows Kms.

Below is a link to my drop box account where you can see the condition of it. Pictures aren't the best quality but you will get the gist of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/1969%20Sub ... 60%20Truck

I have been told that it runs well and they have just fixed up the brakes. I would however prefer a Van so I may hold out.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Andrew

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

Re: New to Subaru 360 forum and have been offered a truck

#2 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the club. What other vehicles do you have? We'd all like to see them. I couldn't get into the drop box. If you email the pics to ssi_kjones@wvdsl.net I'll post them here.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

1_2MINI
360 Master

#3 Post by 1_2MINI »

I don't think you are sharing your dropbox files correctly. I try to access them and it says the folder doesn't exist.
Owner of a 1970 van and 1970 sedan.

carlofsumner
360 Master

#4 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome to the club. Unless the truck is nearly perfect, don't buy it for that price!
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

Ted494
360 Master

#5 Post by Ted494 »

Hi guys,

Sorry about that. I will try again and if not then I will forward those photos to kjrcace360fan to help out. Thanks for offering your help:)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cm4sum6qivn5 ... oG2wa?dl=0

I did suggest a price closer to the 2-3K€ but the owner is willing to wait. It has also been for sale since December last year.

Thanks,

Andrew

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#6 Post by subaru360nut »

If you are over about 5' 10" hold out for a van.
You can tip the front seat back with longer
extensions on the sides for more headroom if
you are tall. Pickup cannot be altered in this
way as the seat already contacts the back
wall of the cab :(

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Ted494
360 Master

#7 Post by Ted494 »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the tip! 6' 0" so might be best to hold out for that van.

Anyone know of any for sale currently?

Thanks,

Andrew

Ted494
360 Master

#8 Post by Ted494 »

Hi kjrcace360fan,

No other Micro cars but do fancy an Isetta/Messerschmitt/Fiat 500 or 600:)

Currently in Scotland - BMW Z4M roadster, 1979 Porsche 911 SC with RUF bodykit & a BMW Z3M Coupe. The latter two I share with my brother.

Here in Munich - 1997 Honda Civic run around. Goes like a charm!haha!

Andrew

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#9 Post by Sigmaz »

Ted494 wrote:Hi kjrcace360fan,

No other Micro cars but do fancy an Isetta/Messerschmitt/Fiat 500 or 600:)
PHHHFFFT!

Who doesn't!?
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#10 Post by LeeBuckman »

Welcome Ted494.

I am from the UK and have a van........... Was that truck for sale on custojusto ?
Where did you find it listed for sale ?

Here is a picture of a Portugese van (I think) I found whilst browsing the web one day....

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#11 Post by LeeBuckman »

Also, why not contact this guy who posted about a Portugese van on Facebook. Long time ago, I know but wirth a try.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#12 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Looking at the pics I'd have to wander how bad the rust is. Mine looks way worse on the surface but It doesn't have that much rust through in the doors. I would figure the bed to be very bad also given the condition of the bottom of the door. Gas tank too. I'd want confirmation that the pics show all the rust but your still trusting someones selling disposition. The mileage also tells me that it's actually been used. Not that they won't go way over 100k Just a tidbit I noticed. Here in the US most of the 360's can be found with limited miles because they just weren't popular, and most were just discarded. No idea on what's best for you. If you have none in your country might be your only chance, Also finding someone willing to ship international can be a problem. I've never done it but until I was bitten by the 360 bug I'd never bought a car from out of town let alone out of state. But I've never done the international deal. Hope this helps

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#13 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Other observations. The bottom side doesn't look too bad but in the shot of the battery box you can see that the edge of the opening is also rusted away and painted over. Painting over rust and bad body work leads me to believe that the paint was not part of a restoration but either to prevent any more corosion or to cover up more. It looks like the rear quarter was welded back together possibly due to replacing part of the panel or getting it hooked on something. In any event the repair was to make it usable not restored. The front blinker lights are not correct for any version I know of, but could be correct for earlier model. I'm confident in saying that you'd be buying a well used vehicle.

Ted494
360 Master

#14 Post by Ted494 »

LeeBuckman wrote:Welcome Ted494.

I am from the UK and have a van........... Was that truck for sale on custojusto ?

Here is a picture of a Portugese van (I think) I found whilst browsing the web one day....

Hi LeeBuckman,

It was on carandclassic up until yesterday but I see that it has now been taken down. I have the contact details of the seller if anyone wants to ask.

Did you import your van? Any photos?

Thanks,

Andrew

Ted494
360 Master

#15 Post by Ted494 »

kjrcace360fan wrote:Other observations. The bottom side doesn't look too bad but in the shot of the battery box you can see that the edge of the opening is also rusted away and painted over. Painting over rust and bad body work leads me to believe that the paint was not part of a restoration but either to prevent any more corosion or to cover up more. It looks like the rear quarter was welded back together possibly due to replacing part of the panel or getting it hooked on something. In any event the repair was to make it usable not restored. The front blinker lights are not correct for any version I know of, but could be correct for earlier model. I'm confident in saying that you'd be buying a well used vehicle.
Thanks for your input! It is much appreciated. I was quoted by them 7000€ to have it brought back to perfect condition but I think its just a bit too much for the time being.

I'll hold out for that van:)

Andrew

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#16 Post by LeeBuckman »

Ted494 wrote:

Hi LeeBuckman,

It was on carandclassic up until yesterday but I see that it has now been taken down. I have the contact details of the seller if anyone wants to ask.

Yes, my van came from oldone off of here in the USA. Bought it to restore and currently sat in an almost stripped naked state.
The thread below has details:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5421

Thanks,

Andrew

books1
360 Master

#17 Post by books1 »

- and here's 2 pictures of a Portuguese sedan I found whilst on my "Grand tour" of Europe in 1979:

- the sticker on the rear of the vehicle says Koln (Cologne) I believe!

- and welcome to the Club from downunder :D

books1
360 Master

#18 Post by books1 »

There was mention of a Sambar van in Portugal on this forum (well on the facebook page actually) back in July 2015.
Click here to view the Forum Topic with link

Ted494
360 Master

#19 Post by Ted494 »

LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:

Hi LeeBuckman,

Yes, my van came from oldone off of here in the USA. Bought it to restore and currently sat in an almost stripped naked state.

Thanks,

Andrew
Thanks for sharing! I will be looking for an easy van as currently don't have the garage space for working in. Only a place to park really!:)

Ted494
360 Master

#20 Post by Ted494 »

books1 wrote:

- and here's 2 pictures of a Portuguese sedan I found whilst on my "Grand tour" of Europe in 1979:

- the sticker on the rear of the vehicle says Koln (Cologne) I believe!

- and welcome to the Club from downunder :D
Thanks for the welcome! I may have to take a holiday to Portugal to see if there are any vans still kicking around. I also sent that chap a message on Facebook so will see if anything comes of it. Cheers

Ted494
360 Master

#21 Post by Ted494 »

LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:

Hi LeeBuckman,

Thanks,

Andrew
Hi Lee,

I was wondering what shipping company you used for getting your van to the UK? Were they any good and did they also do door to door delivery?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#22 Post by LeeBuckman »

Ted494 wrote:
LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:
Hi LeeBuckman,

Thanks,

Andrew
Hi Lee,

I was wondering what shipping company you used for getting your van to the UK? Were they any good and did they also do door to door delivery?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

Hi,

I used shipmycar. Highly recommended but I did have to go to Southampton to collect the van and trailered it home. I suspect they have an option whereby you pay more and it gets delivered but not sure. You found one then ?

Regards

Lee

Ted494
360 Master

#23 Post by Ted494 »

LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:
LeeBuckman wrote:
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

Hi,

I used shipmycar. Highly recommended but I did have to go to Southampton to collect the van and trailered it home. I suspect they have an option whereby you pay more and it gets delivered but not sure. You found one then ?

Regards

Lee
Thanks for that. Was it shipmycar or shipmyvehicle?
I don't want to say anything as yet until things are confirmed:)
Did you have much import duties to pay? I believe it is around 5.5% + 20%VAT for UK imports. I have imported from Japan before but never a car as old. Were you still required to pay the 20% VAT on Purchase value?
Thanks,
Andrew

books1
360 Master

#24 Post by books1 »

Ted494 wrote:Thanks for that. Was it shipmycar or shipmyvehicle?
Downunder, we use shipmyhorselesscarriage....eventually :cry:

books1
360 Master

#25 Post by books1 »

Hi Andrew,

I guess Lee could possibly confirm this for the UK, but downunder, if you ask the freight company the name of the ship that your vehicle is being transported on, you can then "track" it on a Worldwide map. Cool bananas! .... but you do have to ASK down here, they don't seem to want you to track it or something. A bit weird, but there you have it. Lee - is that true for UK?

Ted494
360 Master

#26 Post by Ted494 »

books1 wrote:Hi Andrew,

I guess Lee could possibly confirm this for the UK, but downunder, if you ask the freight company the name of the ship that your vehicle is being transported on, you can then "track" it on a Worldwide map. Cool bananas! .... but you do have to ASK down here, they don't seem to want you to track it or something. A bit weird, but there you have it. Lee - is that true for UK?
Hi Books1,

Yes I have actually used that before. It's a bit like flight tracker and pretty cool. As you say a bit like watching paint dry if it has a long way to go! :)

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#27 Post by LeeBuckman »

Ted494 wrote:
LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

Hi,

Regards

Lee
Did you have much import duties to pay? I believe it is around 5.5% + 20%VAT for UK imports. I have imported from Japan before but never a car as old. Were you still required to pay the 20% VAT on Purchase value?
Thanks,
Andrew
https://www.shipmycar.co.uk

I will dig out the paperwork. From memory though I'm sure import duty was low due to vehicle value and no vat either to pay. Let me double check that though..
Regards
Lee

Ted494
360 Master

#28 Post by Ted494 »

LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:
LeeBuckman wrote:

Hi,

Regards

Lee
Thanks,
Andrew

I will dig out the paperwork. From memory though I'm sure import duty was low due to vehicle value and no vat either to pay. Let me double check that though..
Regards
Lee
That would be great if you could find out.
Thanks

rogerbhp
360 Master

#29 Post by rogerbhp »

Andrew,
Dave from Pomona, California has his van on auction right now on ebay. I don't know if his van will fit your requirements but you may wish to look at its bidding progress to see if it fits your need. We're having a meet near him on April 8, 2017. Assuming he makes it to the meet and he still has his van, you should be able to get several opinions about it. If you come into a lot of money soon, Tony Jasso of San Diego has his van for sale; the last I heard he was looking for $25,000 for it. Tony's van may or may not be of interest but it's still impressive! Roger

Ted494
360 Master

#30 Post by Ted494 »

rogerbhp wrote:Andrew,
Dave from Pomona, California has his van on auction right now on ebay. I don't know if his van will fit your requirements but you may wish to look at its bidding progress to see if it fits your need. We're having a meet near him on April 8, 2017. Assuming he makes it to the meet and he still has his van, you should be able to get several opinions about it. If you come into a lot of money soon, Tony Jasso of San Diego has his van for sale; the last I heard he was looking for $25,000 for it. Tony's van may or may not be of interest but it's still impressive! Roger
Hi Roger,
Thanks for your message, it is much appreciated. Yes, I have been in touch with Dave about his van which I think is great but just not what I am looking for at the moment.
Tony's van also looks fantastic but just out of my price range.
I will keep everyone updated on my progress!:)
Thanks for all the help so far
Andrew

rogerbhp
360 Master

#31 Post by rogerbhp »

On the Portugese van: It looks to me as if the L/R door was never meant to be opened (the C pillar is fairly thin and doesn't appear to be openable.) The parking lights are obviously after-market (possibly what Lee will need to do to make his van legal.) There are no roof lights so I'd guess the year at about '65 or '66. No mirrors or bumper guards - - maybe they were a factory delete (or they were removed during restoration?) A good looking van none the less!

Ted494
360 Master

#32 Post by Ted494 »

rogerbhp wrote:On the Portugese van: It looks to me as if the L/R door was never meant to be opened (the C pillar is fairly thin and doesn't appear to be openable.) The parking lights are obviously after-market (possibly what Lee will need to do to make his van legal.) There are no roof lights so I'd guess the year at about '65 or '66. No mirrors or bumper guards - - maybe they were a factory delete (or they were removed during restoration?) A good looking van none the less!
It is certainly a great looking van and I did wonder about the rear door in that there isn't one:)

rogerbhp
360 Master

#33 Post by rogerbhp »

There were several more body configurations that were never imported here to the U.S. I've been told that they included a 3-door (with a covered right rear side door) and a panel truck (with no side glass behind the driver.) They definitely produced a flat bed (where the 3 sides folded down.) I have a factory brochure showing the flat bed .... wish I had one!!

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#34 Post by LeeBuckman »

Ted494 wrote:
LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:
Thanks,
Andrew

Regards
Lee
Thanks
Andrew, Sorry for teh delay, been so busy and only just dug out the documents. My costs were as follows to Import from US to UK with ShipMyCar.co.uk

Collection From Vendor And Delivery TO US Port (Houston for mine) -£312.66
US Customs & Loading Fees - £145
Container Shipping to UK - £925
Items Inside Vehicle Surcharge - £35
Marine Insurance - £75
UK Unloading Fees & Customs Clearance - £175
Shipmycar Admin Fee - £195
Non Runner Surcharge - £150
Total - £2012.66 to get it into the UK. I then had to collect it from Southampton port.

VAT was £109 (Calculated on vehicle value I guess)
Duty was £0 (Due to age of vehicle)

Hope That Helps

Lee

Preciador6
360 Master

#35 Post by Preciador6 »

Thanks Mr.Roger :D

Ted494
360 Master

#36 Post by Ted494 »

LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:
LeeBuckman wrote:

Regards
Lee
Thanks
Andrew, Sorry for teh delay, been so busy and only just dug out the documents. My costs were as follows to Import from US to UK with ShipMyCar.co.uk

Marine Insurance - £75
Total - £2012.66 to get it into the UK. I then had to collect it from Southampton port.

Hope That Helps

Lee
Hi Lee,

That is perfect thanks. I managed to get a quote that is roughly the same from them. One other thing if you don't mind me asking but how much was the declared value? No problems if you don't want to disclose I am just trying to work out the percentage of VAT due.

Thanks,

Andrew

rogerbhp
360 Master

#37 Post by rogerbhp »

Andrew,
You may want to check into Rutledge Wood's van which is for sale for $6,500 (with a non-Subaru engine.)
Roger

Preciador6
360 Master

#38 Post by Preciador6 »

You may want to check into Rutledge Wood's van which is for sale for $6,500 (with a non-Subaru engine.)
Roger
He wants a 99% stock van like the one we sold Ted ...,I will never find another that clean and complete. :(

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#39 Post by LeeBuckman »

Preciador6 wrote:
Roger
He wants a 99% stock van like the one we sold Ted ...,I will never find another that clean and complete. :(
You might Dave. you seem to be de-man at finding these things right now !

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#40 Post by LeeBuckman »

Ted494 wrote:
LeeBuckman wrote:
Ted494 wrote:
Thanks

Marine Insurance - £75

Hope That Helps

Lee
Hi Lee,

That is perfect thanks. I managed to get a quote that is roughly the same from them. One other thing if you don't mind me asking but how much was the declared value? No problems if you don't want to disclose I am just trying to work out the percentage of VAT due.

Thanks,

Andrew
$1800 - You could get the seller to declare a lower value than you pay to save on VAT but that may cause a problem should you have to claim for any damage so probably not worth it. Food for thought though.

Preciador6
360 Master

#41 Post by Preciador6 »

LeeBuckman wrote:
Preciador6 wrote:
Roger
You might Dave. you seem to be de-man at finding these things right now !
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/6039179011.html

Ted494
360 Master

#42 Post by Ted494 »

[/quote]

$1800 - You could get the seller to declare a lower value than you pay to save on VAT but that may cause a problem should you have to claim for any damage so probably not worth it. Food for thought though.[/quote]

Thanks for that info. Food for thought:)

Ted494
360 Master

#43 Post by Ted494 »

I wasn't sure where to post this so thought here would do.

Xmas has come early:)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pgbl3nuf8mss ... 8qDia?dl=0

Ted494
360 Master

#44 Post by Ted494 »

Almost a year since my first post and I have secured myself a van!!! Couldn't be more delighted. Now its just the big wait for it to arrive. Current location is LA after a pickup from Utah. End location is Munich, Germany. I can't imagine there will be many around here :D

A big thanks to Gary for helping out!

I look forward to sharing some adventures and future plans with it :D

Andrew
Attachments
P1000131.JPG
Subi1.jpg

Preciador6
360 Master

#45 Post by Preciador6 »

:shock: Nice and Clean great find Ted494.
Last edited by Preciador6 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ted494
360 Master

#46 Post by Ted494 »

Preciador6 wrote: 6 years ago :shock: Nice and Clean great find Ted.
Thanks! Also comes with spare parts and a rear seat:)
Attachments
20150306_133727_zps7tuwg8o2.jpg
IMG_4231.JPG

Preciador6
360 Master

#47 Post by Preciador6 »

:shock: Complete interior big plus.

books1
360 Master

#48 Post by books1 »

Good work Andrew... at last - now the fun begins! :D

Ted494
360 Master

#49 Post by Ted494 »

Preciador6 wrote: 6 years ago :shock: Complete interior big plus.
Just what I was looking for:)

Ted494
360 Master

#50 Post by Ted494 »

books1 wrote: 6 years ago Good work Andrew... at last - now the fun begins! :D
Thanks very much. Yes, I can't wait! :)