New Subaru 360 owner in Michigan!

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

PLEINALR
360 Master

New Subaru 360 owner in Michigan!

#1 Post by PLEINALR »

Hello, My name is Stephen. Three weeks ago purchased a 1971 subaru 360 (according to the title). I had never seen a subaru 360 before that and I am still not sure why I bought it. I was traveling at the time and so I had to haul the car home 600 miles in a uhaul trailer with a kia forte. It was great fun.

The car does seem to be a low mileage vehicle. The odometer says a little over 8000 miles. I first had to debug the ignition system. It turned out that there was a bad condenser and the points needed filing. I then took the carburetor off, took it apart and shoved it in my ultra sonic cleaner. She is clean as a whistle and now runs like a champ!! I also had to mess with the petcock a little. The tires were the stock tires that came with the car. They were very dry rotted and I had to cut them off of the rims (There is a lot of rust in there). The brake system is also rusted solid from sitting for so long. I removed everything and again put them in my ultrasonic cleaner to free them up. It worked like a charm. I still have to send them out to be sleeved since the ID was so pitted. So far i feel like I am moving her in the right direction - to being road worthy.

I will of course need some help along the way - seeing as it is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be to get parts (we cannot get parts). I am missing a mud flap, emergency brake cable for the passenger side(someone cut it and ripped it off), some knobs on the dash(I am not even sure what would go there), and probably a bunch of other stuff I do not even know about yet.

Anyway, I am really thankful that this club exists and I am not sure what I would have done with my spontaneous purchase if it wasnt for this club. I am sure that I am going to waste a lot of time reading on this forum. Also if there is anyone in the michigan area I would love to get together and learn more about the car first hand. Now to let you get to the stuff all of you actually clicked on this thread for... The pictures. (and I will post more pictures as I go:)

oldone
360 Master

Re: New Subaru 360 owner in Michigan!

#2 Post by oldone »

Welcome aboard Stephen! You started off right by posting Pics, we like pic of new finds. I know ED would like to have your VIN# to see if it has history in the club. Garm is the brake rubber guy to get your W/C cups & master cyl repair kit. Glad to see your sleeving them,that's the way to go.
Notice you have a radio, along with a good looking sedan. What I see of the interior looks good also

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#3 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome ! I love red Sedans . It does not look rusted. What ? How did this not happen?
ImageImageImage

PLEINALR
360 Master

#4 Post by PLEINALR »

Hi! well the car definitely was white originally... I do know that it has been parked in a garage for the last 25 years. that is when it was last registered to drive. There actually is a little rust in the drivers side floor pan and under the battery. I am actually cleaning it up as we speak for some primer. I surely lucked out there. It has a cloth interior so I am assuming that was redone at the same time the exterior was painted.

I sent in my vin number when I applied to the club. Should I PM him the vin as well? It would be great to find out a little more history on the vehicle if possible. The woman I bought it from purchased the car while she was in school and apparently the brakes went out and it has been sitting ever since.

Also I found this knob on the floor in the car and I am not sure where it should go or what it should be attached to. There are no unattached cables inside the vehicle. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

PLEINALR
360 Master

#5 Post by PLEINALR »

I am wondering how to tell if it is an original radio or not. I believe it is aftermarket because it does not say subaru on it. Would I be correct in assuming that?

PLEINALR
360 Master

#6 Post by PLEINALR »

https://youtu.be/VJohqxroqso

also here is a video of the first time it ran :)

oldone
360 Master

#7 Post by oldone »

PLEINALR wrote:I am wondering how to tell if it is an original radio or not. I believe it is aftermarket because it does not say subaru on it. Would I be correct in assuming that?
I just went out & CKd Middy's radio & it says Subaru on the face. :(

oldone
360 Master

#8 Post by oldone »

Just watched your video, your are in need of cylinder & cylinder head tin ware for proper cooling. I went back to your pics & looked at them you had the tinware then???
Last edited by oldone 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

PLEINALR
360 Master

#9 Post by PLEINALR »

I actually do have the tin around the heads. I took it off to sand and repaint it. It had a lot of surface rust on it.

Stephen

PLEINALR
360 Master

#10 Post by PLEINALR »

Rats. Oh well it would have been nice to have an original radio, but that is life.

rogerbhp
360 Master

#11 Post by rogerbhp »

Welcome to the club! There's a Subaru radio on ebay .... for $1,000!!

PLEINALR
360 Master

#12 Post by PLEINALR »

Thanks! I'm happy to be here. Yea, I don't think any radio is worth $1000 though. I'd rather have another 360 :)

books1
360 Master

#13 Post by books1 »

Hi Stephen, and welcome to the Club from downunder - I reckon red is the best Subie 360 colour, too! The fact that I have two (non-Subaru) red small cars should not be seen as any indication of bias..... :D
PLEINALR wrote:Also I found this knob on the floor in the car and I am not sure where it should go or what it should be attached to. There are no unattached cables inside the vehicle. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

As that is draped over the front of the vehicle, I would hazard a guess at it being the front bonnet catch pull. The rear bonnet pull is also in the same style I believe. I suppose it could also just be a spare.....

Cheers,

Ian

carlofsumner
360 Master

#14 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome aboard Stephen. This is a great group and as you have already found, they are a wealth of information.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#15 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club!
The last 360s were made in early 1970 but
many dealers who had them left over until
1971 licensed them as 1971s.

Original radios were comparatively rare,
see P. 192 in BOOK OF REPRINTS

Do not argue with your DMV about this, they
hate to be wrong about anything.

If the shifter has a 4 it is '70, if it has OT it
is '69, all other parts fit both.

DO NOT DRIVE IT WITHOUT AN AIR FILTER!

If yours is missing go to a motorcycle shop and
get a generic filter with a 1 7/8" neck which
will go right on your carb until you can find
the original Subaru parts.

Get the Book of Reprints which you can now
download free, it will answer 95+% of any
questions you have about your new Favorite
Vehicle.

And please do E-MAIL me the vin for our master list.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

PLEINALR
360 Master

#16 Post by PLEINALR »

Hey, so it looks like I have a 1969 360! Thanks for the heads up on the shifter id.

I only ran it for a moment. I ordered an air cleaner for a 83 honda gl650. Hopefully it will fit well. It is still going to be another week and a half until I get my wheel cylinders back because of the holiday. Hopefully by that time I have my master cylinder done and all of the rims redone with new paint and rubber! I can't wait to see if she will roll under her own power and if I am lucky stop. :)

I'm not sure if I should be trying to find a place to redo my rubber brake lines in that time frame or not. I see a little cracking on them from age but they don't look too horrible. I'm more worried about trying to undo them from the fragile brake lines without damaging the lines.

Oh I suppose I need to check the oil pump before I go any further as well.

Lots to do. .. I was hoping I could drive it around before they start pouring salt on the roads but we just got some snow today so I need to find a new goal to strive for.

Thanks for all your help. It is great having a group of people with just as quirky of taste as me.

rogerbhp
360 Master

#17 Post by rogerbhp »

I've never had to replace any rubber brake lines yet but I'm in California. I have replaced a few rubber brake lines on total restorations but it was never essential that they be done.

PLEINALR
360 Master

#18 Post by PLEINALR »

Thanks for the reply Roger. I am use to working on cars from the 20's and 30's. Usually with that age there are mechanical brakes and I am updating them with new parts or they were upgraded to hydraulic a long time ago and are clogged with rust needing new parts as well. So I will try to clean these out and then wait to find out if they hold fluid.

Thanks,
Stephen

PLEINALR
360 Master

#19 Post by PLEINALR »

here is a picture of my other cars right now. Both are Ford model A's but obviously one is stock and one is modified pretty heavily.

rogerbhp
360 Master

#20 Post by rogerbhp »

When you get tired of it, I'll take the chopped one on the right. I have a 460 with a C6 ready to drop in. Then add some discs and juice brakes and I'll be styling!

It is possible to have brake problems on your Subie even if the hoses look good. Sometimes the brake fluid gets to the inside of the rubber and eats at it, causing braking difficulties. Do everything else on the brakes first; then, if necessary, go after the rubber hoses. Brake master rebuild kits and correct cups are available from Garm; he's on this forum at reallysmallcars.com.

I'm barely functional with computers, social media, email, etc. so I can't tell you how to find pics of my two trucks, the Toon Truck (restored) and the Tiki Truck (culturally modified) but they're around the web somewhere .... maybe you can find them.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#21 Post by subaru360nut »

Steve - see P. 360 in BOOK OF REPRINTS
for a source of new brake flex lines.

It's not just cracks on the outside that make
these risky to use but plugging inside due
to decades of contaminated brake fluid.

If you can blow thru them with compressed
air you can tell if they are restricted inside.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#22 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the club. Nice find. Yes drop that oil pump asap. You can run on mixed gas and oil till you get the Oil pump working. That Motor Sound pretty solid.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

Preciador6
360 Master

#23 Post by Preciador6 »

Make the Subaru into a rat rod would be cool.

Heartmotorworks
360 Newbie

#24 Post by Heartmotorworks »

That trailer pic is eerily familiar
Attachments
2015-11-24 00.10.45.jpg

PLEINALR
360 Master

#25 Post by PLEINALR »

Hey thanks for the welcome!

That picture does look pretty familiar. It is fun to use a little trailer to haul a little car.

I have found that one of the brake lines is clogged. I think that brake company in the BOR is closed this week so I will order new flex lines next week. Thanks for the direction to that company.

I'll take that oil pump out this week and check it out. I have been running with mixed gas so far. Hopefully everything is staying lubricated. I have quite some time now until I drive it because my brakes are lost in the post office so I should have the oil pump working long before I need it.

I just finished cleaning up my rims. I couldn't believe how much rust was in there. Looks much better and most importantly it won't rust for a while.

PLEINALR
360 Master

#26 Post by PLEINALR »

That chopped A in the picture is pretty cool. I am using all pre war parts on it. 40 ford brakes, 39 flathead v8, 39 trans, 31 international grill and radiator, and so forth. Right now my attention is all on this 360, but I'll get back to it some day. It's been a lot of fun learning about these 360's. I've never owned anything like this before. I think I've caught the 360 bug. :)

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#27 Post by subaru360nut »

Read P. 50-52 in BOOK OF REPRINTS
which tells how to test and adjust your
oil pump.

If it does not turn easily (ALWAYS TURN
COUNTERCLOCKWISE) by hand
see P. 350 which tells how to recondition
it. If you have any question about this
process or want me to do it please
E-MAIL ME.

Ed

PLEINALR
360 Master

#28 Post by PLEINALR »

I went on a 300 mile trip today with my sedan. It was a lot of fun. It drove great!

I do have something I'd like some info about. Maybe someone can tell me what direction to follow to resolve the issue.

After about 100 miles I pulled off the highway and the engine cut out on the off ramp. It started back up after about 10 minutes like nothing was wrong. I drove to the gas station and put 2.75 gallons in and continued on my way with no more issues for the remaining 75 miles. On the way home, the same thing happened. I pulled off the highway and the engine cut out on the off ramp. I put a little over 3 gallons in and continued with no more issues.

I believe I am having a gas supply issue. The first time it cut out i opened the float bowl to find it full. I'm not sure if it filled while I was coasting as I have added a 2-4psi fuel pump to it. But I would have thought it would start right up since it was now full instead of taking ten minutes. I feel like I'm missing something simple. There's not much to go wrong.

I ended up with the fuel pump because the diaphragm in the petcock started leaking so I added an electric fuel cutoff solenoid. With the solenoid the gas was not flowing free enough to keep up. I had to bypass it while I was out driving one day. I added the fuel pump last Monday. After driving it all week I had no other issues besides the ones today.

The weird thing was that I didn't have the issue in the second part of the drive as I was still driving full throttle under similar conditions as the first part. If you have any ideas let me know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Last edited by PLEINALR 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

oldone
360 Master

#29 Post by oldone »

I think when you took the off ramp you closed the throttle & flooded the engine due to a worn or sticking needle and seat, that's why the full float bowl, but it took 10 minutes to clear the flooding from the crankcase.

PLEINALR
360 Master

Re: RE: Re: New Subaru 360 owner in Michigan!

#30 Post by PLEINALR »

oldone wrote:I think when you took the off ramp you closed the throttle & flooded the engine due to a worn or sticking needle and seat, that's why the full float bowl, but it took 10 minutes to clear the flooding from the crankcase.
Ah. That does seem logical. I did take the needle out recently and clean it. It seemed to function correctly when blowing in it. I can buy a replacement and hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks,
Stephen

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#31 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Preciador6 wrote:Make the Subaru into a rat rod would be cool.
If this is your plan I have several bodies I rather see chopped up than one that has minimal rust. Just let me know.

PLEINALR
360 Master

#32 Post by PLEINALR »

kjrcace360fan wrote:
Preciador6 wrote:Make the Subaru into a rat rod would be cool.
If this is your plan I have several bodies I rather see chopped up than one that has minimal rust. Just let me know.
I would not make this car into a ratrod. I'm not a fan of rat rods. My model A may look like one right now but that's because it's still early in the build. These 360's are fun just the way they are :) it would be a shame to cut it up.

PLEINALR
360 Master

#33 Post by PLEINALR »

Here's a recent picture at the community concert.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#34 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Nice

PLEINALR
360 Master

#35 Post by PLEINALR »

Beautiful day today to go for a drive.

jeremyrschroeder
360 Master

#36 Post by jeremyrschroeder »

Great picture - Love that red!

PLEINALR
360 Master

#37 Post by PLEINALR »

So I have received bad news today. I'm going to have to sell this car. I am moving for work and am going to have to sell most of my cars due to space. I will have space for one car and one motorcycle so I have decided that the only car I'm going to keep is the van. If anyone is interested in the sedan let me know. I'm going to post it on ebay soon.

mpilihp
360 Master

#38 Post by mpilihp »

PLEINALR wrote:Rats. Oh well it would have been nice to have an original radio, but that is life.
Hi, I have an original 360 radio (AM only) from Japan, I have not powered it up, it came with a lot of items I purchased and I do not intend on putting it in my car. Id like to recoup some $ from the other parts I purchased. Interested send me a PM.
~ Phil Morneault

Trying to make one running 360 from three!

PLEINALR
360 Master

#39 Post by PLEINALR »

mpilihp wrote:
PLEINALR wrote:Rats. Oh well it would have been nice to have an original radio, but that is life.
Hi, I have an original 360 radio (AM only) from Japan, I have not powered it up, it came with a lot of items I purchased and I do not intend on putting it in my car. Id like to recoup some $ from the other parts I purchased. Interested send me a PM.
I'm have to sell my car. See above. Good luck selling your radio.

PLEINALR
360 Master

#40 Post by PLEINALR »

Never mind. I don't think I can sell it. I went on another 300 mile trip today. It ran so well and brought such a smile to everyone's face that saw it that I don't want to be without a running and driving 360.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#41 Post by Sigmaz »

That's the spirit.

One thing I've learned is that once you've driven and truly experienced a 360 you just can't sell it. there is no way to fill the void the loss of a 360 leaves.

well, another 360 helps..

I've owned and parted with 2 Sedans and a Van, bit luckily for me I always seem to have one in my garage being serviced.

After this one rolls out, I'll be a sedan owner again if the cards play right.

Don't get rid of it if you really love it.

Make a deal with yourself to keep it forever, no matter what financial hurdles you may encounter.

You'll be glad you did.
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

books1
360 Master

#42 Post by books1 »

- and it's great to see you back on the forums, Jon!

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#43 Post by Sigmaz »

Hey Ian!
I'm always here, I rarely have anything to say though.

I actually need to get my dose of Subi goodness. I need the inspiration to get the shop cracking again..

Steven wanted his sedan back by now but timing and other projects have been back burnering it.

But I do most of my work in the fall and winter (in the northern hemisphere) anyway so what else is new.
-Jon
ImageImage

books1
360 Master

#44 Post by books1 »

Well, sorry to say Jon - don't look to my project topic page for inspiration just at the mo. The poor ol' girl went off for sandblasting and came back looking like she'd been shotgun blasted all along the rocker panels, etc.. I've been too depressed to post pics! Currently trying to source another body shell for panel scavenging, or even a complete change of body/chassis number transplant... it's SERIOUS! :( :cry:
Last edited by books1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#45 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Say it aint so. Didn't Oldone send you some rockers? There's a company here in the states that makes Dune buggies but more importantly makes complete frames/ pans for VW bugs. I think they make floor pans. I know someone makes VW floor pans. From what you posted previously I didn't think your body was that bad. Post what you have. Being a rare import to your neck of the woods What are the chances of finding another body?
I do have a decent shell I hate hate hate to part with and the shipping would be well you know but If your well off maybe we could make something work.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#46 Post by Sigmaz »

Well that doesn't sound good.
But I'm sure there is way...

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
-Jon
ImageImage

PLEINALR
360 Master

#47 Post by PLEINALR »

I know of a young s and a sedan that are kind of for sale. I was filling up my sedan at a gas station and he pulled in after me. He seems like he doesn't have time for it anymore. If it could help let me know.

Stephen

books1
360 Master

#48 Post by books1 »

Thanks chaps, I'll see how my current strategy pans out shortly, meanwhile I am having to plan for imminent redundancy, but I have something up my sleeve, so will hopefully have some good news soon. Will post pics on my project page (don't wanna hijack this topic) - but don't look at them on a full stomach.....