Hello from Miami FL

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

goodm3
360 Newbie

Hello from Miami FL

#1 Post by goodm3 »

Hello:

Just bought a 1970 Van from AZ on it's way to Miami. Currently own 2 micro cars, a Subaru powered Fiat 500, and Fiat 850 Berlina as well as other "normal" sized vehicles.

Here are pics of my other cars, past and present.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dgoodman/ ... 815755973/

First on my list is to lower the van to get rid of the positive camber I see in the pics. Also need some windows and a reverse taillight lens.

DMG
Miami, FL
DMG
Miami, FL

carlofsumner
360 Master

Re: Hello from Miami FL

#2 Post by carlofsumner »

DMG:

Welcome to the club. Although it looks like your van doesn't need much, you will find what you need here, even a little advise.

This is the best place to get hooked up for the parts you need.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#3 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club!
It wasn't my van since mine is still in Tucson
where I drive it every day :D

Do not take much camber out of the rear wheels!

Center of the rear torsion bars must be 10 - 10 3/16"
from the floor (pavement) for proper wheel
alignment, front 10 5/8" - 11"

Ed Parsil
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

rogerbhp
360 Master

#4 Post by rogerbhp »

Lowering your van is easy.
It looks like you'll need another door pocket, maybe some door check straps .... and carpets.
Don't ride around with the rear hatch propped up.
Probably the hardest thing to find will be the backup lens -- but I have the feeling that they will be coming around soon.
Are you going to do anything about the lack of hubcaps?
Suggest you add your location to your info on the left side.

Garm
360 Master

#5 Post by Garm »

^ Roger always nails it.

Love the Fiats!

goodm3
360 Newbie

#6 Post by goodm3 »

I didn't realize it was missing hub caps. Any suggestions? Or may just leave like that. I ordered Portawall white wall inserts for it already.
DMG
Miami, FL

goodm3
360 Newbie

#7 Post by goodm3 »

rogerbhp wrote:Lowering your van is easy.
It looks like you'll need another door pocket, maybe some door check straps .... and carpets.
Don't ride around with the rear hatch propped up.
Probably the hardest thing to find will be the backup lens -- but I have the feeling that they will be coming around soon.
Are you going to do anything about the lack of hubcaps?
Suggest you add your location to your info on the left side.

rogerbhp, can you show me pics or links of a proper interior, door check straps, door pockets, etc?

Did these come fully carpeted?
DMG
Miami, FL

rogerbhp
360 Master

#8 Post by rogerbhp »

DMC, I don't know how to post pics but someone else will pick up the slack, I hope. You have one door pocket on the door already; you'll need another that's the same for the other side. Door check straps have been covered recently (by ogenbendogi) and Mark from SoCal. Someone should post pics of carpets. If your glove box is in tatters (can't see it), you can get another off ebay. Also, check ebay if you need axle boots. If you need courtesy light lenses ("egg lenses"), ask for them here on the Forum; they have been repopped. See if you can find pictures of my yellow truck (the "Toon Truck") with a shot of Mighty Mouse on the nose. Notice the hubcaps (Pinto and some '70s Fords) -- or you can run generic, aftermarket baby Moons -- or you can run with no hubcaps. Most of the gingerbread on these cars is hard to find, so don't let anything get away from you. If your engine is bad or if you want to be safe for the future, hit Garm up for a set of Wiseco pistons. They are really good, a little expensive, and probably won't be produced again. If you need cups for brakes, oldone has repopped some.

rogerbhp
360 Master

#9 Post by rogerbhp »

DMC: you're missing reflectors from the rear quarters (hole near the air intake); you can ask but they're hard to find. If you ever redo your uphostery, I think you're missing an ashtray from the right rear door panel. You're probably missing the "Subaru" name from your horn button; hard to find. It's a good looking van!

goodm3
360 Newbie

#10 Post by goodm3 »

Thanks, you guys are very helpful. I'm very excited for it to arrive. .

Carrier said Tuesday or Wednesday. Below are the pics for the seller. Feel free to comment, criticize or suggest.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/subab ... t=3&page=1
DMG
Miami, FL

scole665
360 Fanatic

#11 Post by scole665 »

goodm3 wrote:Thanks, you guys are very helpful. I'm very excited for it to arrive. .

Carrier said Tuesday or Wednesday. Below are the pics for the seller. Feel free to comment, criticize or suggest.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/subab ... t=3&page=1
The excitement is building!!!! I've had a van for awhile but just got a Sedan this week, so I know the exact feeling of WAITING on it to complete its cross country trip. Christmas in July!

I bought another Subaru awhile ago from a guy who had a 360 van in the back of his garage. It was gutted. He lived in the area where this one was sold and I can't help but wonder if it was the same guy. It was at least a couple years ago. Did he tell you any history on the van? I met his wife and saw (presumably) her in one of your photos, I just can't remember her face nor can I find any communication with him.

Anyway, your van is gorgeous. I like them with or without hubcaps. I am considering white wall tires, too, but maybe portawalls fit better into my budget. We'll see how yours look. :-) Good luck with her.

--Scott

goodm3
360 Newbie

#12 Post by goodm3 »

The guy I got my van from is named Kevin, and he did have another van prior to the one I bought. The previous one needed or had metal work, and he supposedly found the one I just bought in the backyard of an elderly man. The elderly man supposedly bought it new then parked it in 73. It remained there until Kevin bought it. It supposedly had no rust at all, but due to sitting was full of dirt, droppings, interior was destroyed etc. Supposedly it only has a few thousand miles on it from new. I do have a few pics of when he towed it home, and it looked solid, except for roof rust.
DMG
Miami, FL