Member Locality Identification

Discussion forum or Subaru360Club.org Site Feedback - Let us hear your suggestions to make our club better!

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

microcarbuff

Member Locality Identification

#1 Post by microcarbuff »

:idea: Was wondering, If it would be possible to add a "Box" in the members section to abbreviate the state that we reside in. This would make it easier to Identify each members location so that they may possibly arrange get togethers, swap meets, cruises, ect. It would be to the individuals discretion as to weather they wish to devulge this info of course.

I've been a member of the "Vintage Microcar Club", since it started. They have a state identifier in thier members "Roster". I was just recently scrolling through it looking for local Vespa owners and was suprised to find out there was one within 5 miles, several other owners within 25 miles. I haven't met up with them yet due to the weather
"the Vespa's heat, works best in the Summer months :lol: But I am planning on at least contacting them and see what happens when it starts to warm up.

books1
360 Master

Re: Member Locality Identification

#2 Post by books1 »

If the Club is thinking "Internationally", there could be a problem with just a two-character or three-character provision, when an International member might have a longer abbreviation for their State. Another consideration is as in my own case - I live in the Australian State of Western Australia, which has the abbreviation "WA" - as does Washington I believe. I'm not sure if you have an "SA" abbreviation, but that could also mean "South Australia" or "South Africa" (although I realise the latter is not actually a State). Some websites have the State abbreviation box, but that is preceded by a COUNTRY box, which generates a tailor-made sub-set of States, specific to that particular country.

Velecasa
360 Master

#3 Post by Velecasa »

It's not complicated just every post name then location next to it

Steve. OC Ca.

microcarbuff

#4 Post by microcarbuff »

Velecasa wrote:It's not complicated just every post name then location next to it

Steve. OC Ca.
I was just looking at an avenue of awareness for members in the same locality. It has worked well in other applications that I have seen/used. If the country of origin is at question then a small country/state flag next to the screen name might help so you don't end up with to many characters.

It would be up to each individual as to weather they wish to reveal this info.

Garm
360 Master

#5 Post by Garm »

Seems to me that the location tag on the left works fine if everyone uses it.

carlofsumner
360 Master

#6 Post by carlofsumner »

I agree, use the location tag to the left!
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

microcarbuff

#7 Post by microcarbuff »

carlofsumner wrote:I agree, use the location tag to the left!
I was referring to the members listing. There is nothing there indicating location. You have to click on the screen name first and then the location can be seen. There are alot of members for individual clicking....
My suggestion was to identify location on the membership listing just after the screen name.

[#] [screen name] " [location] " [joined] [posts] [rank] [message] [E-Mail] [Websight]

jeremyrschroeder
360 Master

#8 Post by jeremyrschroeder »

seams like there was page I found long ago that you could sort members by location - anyone know?

Subie Gal
Site Admin

#9 Post by Subie Gal »

memberlist.php

scroll to the bottom

"sort by"
choose "location"

but it is only going to work if everyone has filled out their profile details
and not everyone wishes to share this information here in the forums.
1970 360 Sambar Van aka Stanley
1970 360 Sambar Truck aka Dirty
1970 360 Sedan - yet to be named.
1970 Subaru FF-1

rogerbhp
360 Master

#10 Post by rogerbhp »

Many of us members live in the same state (the State of Confusion) with a few living in a different state (the State of Frustration.) Where do list this information?

oldone
360 Master

#11 Post by oldone »

rogerbhp wrote:Many of us members live in the same state (the State of Confusion) with a few living in a different state (the State of Frustration.) Where do list this information?

I have dual citizenship to both of those states,is that enough information????????

jeremyrschroeder
360 Master

#12 Post by jeremyrschroeder »

Thanks SubieGal - I see what your talking about but I don't have any columns that come up for location or any location information displayed on that page. Maybe that got switched to an admin only feature? i know I used it before though.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#13 Post by Sigmaz »

The unavailable column is due to the current theme style of the site.

Evidently the designer of the page forgot to add the code to display those columns.

Try this for now until I can get in and fix that.

memberlist.php?style=1
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

StevenM
360 Master

#14 Post by StevenM »

Recently I was playing with the roster (where everyone is listed by state, BTW) and came up with this:

LINK DELETED MAY 2014. SEE THIS POST.

Unfortunately this site only allows 250 entries for free, and there are quite a few more than that here. If your state is towards the end of the list, alphabetically speaking, then you are not "on the map". I have considered making two maps - east and west of the Mississippi. This would only be updated once a year when the roster comes out; it's not an automatic thing by any means.

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#15 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Even though I don't exist, that's pretty good idea. Nice work.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

oldone
360 Master

#16 Post by oldone »

^^^What he said. Lost in the heartland???? :lol:

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#17 Post by kjrcace360fan »

I can also see that if we were to plan a 360 only show in the east it could be close to me since there is such a concentration in the midwest and north east. Who's in? I bet we could get some subaru dealership to host.

Garm
360 Master

#18 Post by Garm »

I bet you could too!

jeremyrschroeder
360 Master

#19 Post by jeremyrschroeder »

StevenM wrote:Recently I was playing with the roster (where everyone is listed by state, BTW) and came up with this:
http://batchgeo.com/map/44e247e0db413e3 ... 1999f68944
Unfortunately this site only allows 250 entries for free, and there are quite a few more than that here. If your state is towards the end of the list, alphabetically speaking, then you are not "on the map". I have considered making two maps - east and west of the Mississippi. This would only be updated once a year when the roster comes out; it's not an automatic thing by any means.
That map is awesome!

brystheguy
360 Fanatic

#20 Post by brystheguy »

Jeremy, we are only 8 miles apart down K7!

That map is pretty cool.
Bryan

"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

oldone
360 Master

#21 Post by oldone »

It's a shame that there are at least five members that I have meet in the Oklahoma City area & a few more members there not shown , that are not active in the forum, but members none the less not shown on the map. I would hope that is corrected in the future. :shock: :? :roll: Great idea just needs work. Texas Long Horns could we hear from you??? The vintage Microcar club has a member list with home towns & the list of vehicles being kept for the next keeper.That would be nice in this group also. I know you can make it happen. Keep up the good work.

carlofsumner
360 Master

#22 Post by carlofsumner »

Can't wait for the second part of the map as I live in Washington and feel left out.
Carl D

oldone
360 Master

#23 Post by oldone »

carlofsumner wrote:Can't wait for the second part of the map as I live in Washington and feel left out.
Where???

carlofsumner
360 Master

#24 Post by carlofsumner »

oldone wrote:
carlofsumner wrote:Can't wait for the second part of the map as I live in Washington and feel left out.
Where???
Beautiful Downtown Sumner, WA
Carl D

mt_wallet
360 Fanatic

#25 Post by mt_wallet »

I hope that the international members will be included as well. :D

books1
360 Master

#26 Post by books1 »

mt_wallet wrote:I hope that the international members will be included as well. :D
I second that! I think that it will be quite a surprising map when finished.

mpilihp
360 Master

#27 Post by mpilihp »

StevenM wrote:Recently I was playing with the roster (where everyone is listed by state, BTW) and came up with this:
http://batchgeo.com/map/44e247e0db413e3 ... 1999f68944
I agree I like this ability, one thing that would be helpful is to the persons user name in their description when you click on a bubble.

Im in Maine and I see there are 3 others and I had no idea but I also dont know if they are active on the forum as I dont see their user ID displayed to connect the bubble with a user on the forum.

If anyone is in New England and are active on the forum respond and let me know!

~ Phil
~ Phil Morneault

Trying to make one running 360 from three!

StevenM
360 Master

#28 Post by StevenM »

if you really want to get in touch with other members that are local to you, then just consult the latest roster. Many of them are not active on the forums, but at least there is a way to reach them if you choose to.

oldone
360 Master

#29 Post by oldone »

I also belong to the vintage MicroCar club, they put out a yearly Member Roster with the names,Emails, addresses, states, & cars owned/or keeping for future keepers. It would be nice to have that for the 360 circle of keepers?? I had some contacts of keepers at a car show Sunday, didn't know about the club?? Maybe they will join.

microcarbuff

#30 Post by microcarbuff »

oldone wrote:I also belong to the vintage MicroCar club, they put out a yearly Member Roster with the names,Emails, addresses, states, & cars owned/or keeping for future keepers. It would be nice to have that for the 360 circle of keepers?? I had some contacts of keepers at a car show Sunday, didn't know about the club?? Maybe they will join.
Man I'm glad someone get's it! :D That was the point that I was trying to make when I started this thread. I was trying to findout if there was anyone from the "CLUB" that lived in my area and the only way I could do it was to look through the whole list of members. Also, not everyone puts there location in thier "POSTS" Author identification, under the Avatar :?

I also think the map is a great Idea :D :arrow:

<<<<< Original thread>>>>>

"{Was wondering, If it would be possible to add a "Box" in the members section to abbreviate the state that we reside in. This would make it easier to Identify each members location so that they may possibly arrange get togethers, swap meets, cruises, ect. It would be to the individuals discretion as to weather they wish to devulge this info of course.

I've been a member of the "Vintage Microcar Club", since it started. They have a state identifier in thier members "Roster". I was just recently scrolling through it looking for local Vespa owners and was suprised to find out there was one within 5 miles, several other owners within 25 miles. I haven't met up with them yet due to the weather
"the Vespa's heat, works best in the Summer months But I am planning on at least contacting them and see what happens when it starts to warm up.}"

mpilihp
360 Master

#31 Post by mpilihp »

StevenM wrote:if you really want to get in touch with other members that are local to you, then just consult the latest roster. Many of them are not active on the forums, but at least there is a way to reach them if you choose to.
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but where is the roster kept? The news letter if I recall only has adds and changes in it.
~ Phil Morneault

rogerbhp
360 Master

#32 Post by rogerbhp »

The December issue of the printed newsletter has an up-to-date listing of all current members.

mpilihp
360 Master

#33 Post by mpilihp »

I knew it was something I should have seen, glad it wasnt a snake! I always just clicked on the first item and never realized there was a second attachment.

Thanks!
~ Phil Morneault

Garm
360 Master

#34 Post by Garm »

I have no idea if I'm still a member. :oops:

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#35 Post by Sigmaz »

I'm pretty sure I'm not..

How much is a lifetime membership?
I'm no good with renewals.
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

oldone
360 Master

#36 Post by oldone »

I think Patty deleted all the emails so I don't have the Dec news letter???? Oops :shock: the bus Patty was driving just ran over me :lol: :lol: AFTER SHE SHOWED ME :evil: the club roster dated 12/15/2013 that she printed out & was under a pile of "important junk" :roll: on a shelf on my computer station?????? :P :oops:

oldone
360 Master

#37 Post by oldone »

^^^^ Jon, Garm & Kevin you are on the list & I'm on her's :roll: :lol:

Garm
360 Master

#38 Post by Garm »

How much is a lifetime membership?
I'm no good with renewals.
Me neither. If I didn't do that already, I want to.

Subaru 360 Club and Sierra Club; yeah, that works.

StevenM
360 Master

#39 Post by StevenM »

OK!

I had a bunch of free time today (at work :D ) so I split up the member roster into two excel sheets, made two maps (east and west of the Mississippi) and created a webpage to display them!

http://mysubaru360.com/Clubmembers_maps.html

Note that this page is not linked-to from any other page; therefore one cannot find the page with a google search. You must have the link to get to it.

Fun.

Steve

PS: Ian, et al: I will figure out how to get the Club's international contingent onto this map soon.

mpilihp
360 Master

#40 Post by mpilihp »

Very cool thanks for creating Steve, its neat to see there are quite a few members in the New England area.

Might I suggest making a new seperate thread to post this too and maybe put it in the new member forum or general forum?

Also, in another forum I belong to, hearth.com, they can have whats called a 'sticky' thread that stays at the top always and cannot be added to other than the author, that way its just there for informational purposes to display the map link.

~ Phil
~ Phil Morneault

Garm
360 Master

#41 Post by Garm »

That's really cool. I only knew about one of SIX owners within 20 miles of me. Weird!

oldone
360 Master

#42 Post by oldone »

This should make for some local Subie parties this summer :wink:

Garm
360 Master

#43 Post by Garm »

BJ Guyer is not on there, Castaic, CA -- if he's still a member.

StevenM
360 Master

#44 Post by StevenM »

Micro Image wrote:BJ Guyer is not on there, Castaic, CA -- if he's still a member.
I can't say how entirely accurate the roster is, in terms of people who are members who are NOT on it, and people who are no longer members who ARE on it...

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#45 Post by kjrcace360fan »

I Now Exist! My mom is so relieved. :lol: Ps WV360 is about 30 miles off but that's cause he moved.
Great Job.

StevenM
360 Master

#46 Post by StevenM »

mpilihp wrote:Might I suggest making a new seperate thread to post this too and maybe put it in the new member forum or general forum?
~ Phil
OK here's one in the "general" forum...
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4671

oldone
360 Master

#47 Post by oldone »

Why are there Drones flying over my shop???? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by oldone 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

StevenM
360 Master

#48 Post by StevenM »

oldone wrote:Why are there Drones fly over my shop???? :roll: :lol: :lol:
Don't get me started on my latest project. Mine is far from ready but this is roughly what it will look like. Expect some cool Subaru 360 action shots this summer!
Attachments
steves_quad.jpg

microcarbuff

#49 Post by microcarbuff »

StevenM wrote:
Micro Image wrote:BJ Guyer is not on there, Castaic, CA -- if he's still a member.
I can't say how entirely accurate the roster is, in terms of people who are members who are NOT on it, and people who are no longer members who ARE on it...
I'm not on it :cry:

oldone
360 Master

#50 Post by oldone »

microcarbuff wrote:
StevenM wrote:
I'm not on it :cry:
OK! For the facts :shock: the roster is dated 12/15/13 you do the math :roll: when did you join :idea: :wink: Hmmmm.... :mrgreen: :lol: