Phoenix, AZ Sambar

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

scole665
360 Fanatic

Phoenix, AZ Sambar

#1 Post by scole665 »

Hello everyone. My name is Scott and I live in beautiful central Phoenix, AZ. I picked up a 1970 Sambar from a member of the board who probably picked it up from someone else from the board who supposedly got it from a guy outside Baltimore. I don't know any factual history, just word of mouth. Maybe someone knows more about it than me and can fill me in.

I hope I didn't get in over my head, but whatever. It won't be the first time, probably won't be the last. I'm not much of a mechanic but have a guy who I know will hook me up the best he can. I'm excited to refinish the interior and will need some tips and pictures to know what to do. I already have the rear seat out being redone and can't wait to get it back though I'm not sure how it attaches to the floor. Overall, it's in very good condition, a tiny touch of rust, a good paint job, it runs, bumpers being chromed and all the glass is good. It does need a set of wiper blades. :-) Where do you get those tiny things?

Looking forward to interactions on the board.

Oh, and yes, I am a giant to start out so driving it will be....ummm, interesting.

mt_wallet
360 Fanatic

Re: Phoenix, AZ Sambar

#2 Post by mt_wallet »

Welcome to the club, nice looking van :D . You will get all kinds of great help here!

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#3 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Awesome, and welcome to the club. Looks like you got a great start of a van there. Just buy two 13" or 14" refill wiper blades and cut them down to 11" or close to what you want, I leave them a tad long. Cut the opposite end of the retaining clip . Slip them in the blade holder , bingo, bango, bongo, you're done !
ImageImageImage

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#4 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the club! Sounds like your van has been redone by more than one member but it appears well done. Consider yourself lucky on the driver fit issue. I bought a pickup which has less room. I'm not sure I can ever stuff my 6'-0 230lb self in there but when I finish I'll know! lol Anyway please don't hessitate to ask for help. I've received a lot of it and will lend it any time I can. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#5 Post by subaru360nut »

Scott - welcome to The Club!
Your van and mine are the same paint job.
If you ever come to Tucson e-mail me first
and we'll get together.
I get Roberk 22" refills, cut one in half and
I have a pair for my 360, and another pair
for the next time the sun eats them up.

Ed Parsil
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

books1
360 Master

#6 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder, Scott!

Great lookin' van!

Cheers,

Ian

scole665
360 Fanatic

#7 Post by scole665 »

Well, this is taking about 100 years more than I'd hoped. The mechanic is still working on the 360. But, I did get the rear seat finished and I think it came out perfect. I got the floor hardware from Ed when I saw him in September, so all I need to do it bolt the thing in after I lay the carpet. I hope I get to work on it soon though, I'm getting restless.

I took the bumpers to a reputable shop to have them re-chromed and let's just say they don't like me much over there. I have them at a different place now, hoping they can save the botched job. They came out worse than when I took them in. Very disappointing setback. But, I am looking ahead!

carlofsumner
360 Master

#8 Post by carlofsumner »

The seat looks great! 8)
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser