Hi! 1969 Sambar Shell - Orange County, Southern California

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

garnet

Hi! 1969 Sambar Shell - Orange County, Southern California

#1 Post by garnet »

Hi there. I recently picked up a Subaru 360 Sambar Van shell off of Craigslist in Barstow, and hauled it back to Orange County.

Here are some pics:

If those aren't enough photos for you, there are more at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/youraccoun ... 352953429/

Because I'm working with a shell, I had planned on hot rodding it. Yes - I know that likely a few people here cringe at the thought of this, but I don't have the patience and money to track down OEM parts. I had planned on having a tube frame built for it and using an aircooled VW engine (like image below) or a motorbike engine (see video below).

Aircooled VW engine swap - this one is a 1914cc put into a Sambar:

Superbike engine swap (in this case, into a Mini - the video is in German, but you get the idea):

Here is a past project I built - it's in the February issue of Popular Science:

I'm looking to talk to other people that have done engine swaps, tube frames or customizations. I'd like to hear from anybody in Southern California that has a Sambar van!

Thanks,
Garnet
WANTED - Any year Subaru 360 Sambar Van with California title, running or not
360 Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/youraccoun ... 352953429/
Located in Orange County, California

rogerbhp
360 Master

Re: Hi! 1969 Sambar Shell - Orange County, Southern Californ

#2 Post by rogerbhp »

Hi,
Although most club members won't agree and will want you to keep it an original Subaru 360, I say go for your plan! Don't throw away any part, no matter how small, as there is someone who will need it. Once you get it going (fast), you'll need to figure out how to make it stop. There has been some discussion on this board about developing disc brakes, so you'll want to do some research. There's a guy out around San Berdoo who has developed a disc brake set set-up; it's for sale but it's spendy. Welcome aboard!

Kanzen-Henkei
360 Master

#3 Post by Kanzen-Henkei »

I need to take credit for helping you find this shell, so I get dibs seeing it when finished.
I saw your other projects online, I can't wait to see what you end up doing with this shell.
Welcome to the club,
Jorge
Semper Fidelis,
Jorge Lopez R, Cathedral City, CA

Own: '69 360 Sambar, '70 360 Sedan, '71 1300G FF-1 (Shell)
Wanted: Subaru FF-1 1000, 1100 or 1300G, Parts Car or Parts. 360 Van Side Vent, Pedal Access Panel, Rear Bench & Head Rests.

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#4 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome! I'm excited to see what you do with it, as it perfect for your intentions. I know alot about 360 swaps. Tube frame is the only way to go. Basically make your chassis, and then set the 360 body on it. Ask me how I know.
ImageImageImage

garnet

#5 Post by garnet »

GraphicDesigner wrote:I need to take credit for helping you find this shell, so I get dibs seeing it when finished.
I saw your other projects online, I can't wait to see what you end up doing with this shell.
Welcome to the club,
Jorge
Yes - thanks a ton, Jorge! I owe you one!

And Roger - not to worry - I'll make sure every single nut and bolt I don't use ends up in loving hands.

Also - Roger - do you have a link for the "guy out around San Berdoo who has developed a disc brake set set-up"?

2stroketurbo - I was planning on basically taking a sandrail-type chassis and modifying the frame.

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#6 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Good idea.

Here's some of my project hybrids

ImageImageImage

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#7 Post by subaru360nut »

Garnet - thanks for including the VIN, I put it on the master list - first time this one has shown up.
Please e-mail me your last name, this list includes, VIN, Owners name(s) and State(s)

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

garnet

#8 Post by garnet »

subaru360nut wrote:Garnet - thanks for including the VIN, I put it on the master list - first time this one has shown up.
Please e-mail me your last name, this list includes, VIN, Owners name(s) and State(s)

Ed
PM sent!

garnet

#9 Post by garnet »

Yeah 2stroketurbo - I saw your video of you cutting the back off of a 360, which explains why an all-tube frame approach would be easier than part-tube / part-original:

As a bit of history on my van shell, it apparently was previously owned by "Altruistic Foreign Auto Repair" - it's etched into the back glass of the van (see pic below). Supposedly, the van shell was used as a parts storage container for a decade or so, and the windows were painted with what looks like house paint. I Googled the name and address and haven't figured out what city/state this is in, though.

Apparently, they weren't altruistic enough to keep anything but junk in the shell of the van, unfortunately... I'm glad I rescued it.

So - for the exterior: does anybody have a CAD drawing (or any precise drawing) of the van chassis/body? I found an image on page 65 of the BOR Vol 1 that looks like this - which is a good start - but I'm wondering if anybody has anything else:

Also, I'm looking for a few parts - the main mystery is how to get a windshield. The guy I bought the shell from said you could take a Nissan truck windshield and cut it down - although he was sketchy on details, and I don't think he knew what he was talking about. I've seen posts here about a year old about reproduction van/truck windshields - and some discussion in the BOR about Lexan... what are people doing on the van windshield front?

I also need some other tidbits: an exterior door handle button (just the chrome button plunger, see pic above), interior door handles and mechanisms, door and trunk latches and mechanisms, glass rubber window molding (all around), exterior mirrors (although I've found resources on non-OEM-ish replacements for these), headlights, etc. At this point, I'm wanting the exterior to look as original as possible without breaking the bank - any pointers are appreciated since I'm new around here.

Lastly - does anybody have a CAD file (or detailed drawing, or even a nice high resolution photo) of the Subaru word-logo badge (as seen in broken form below)? Or are reproductions of these made? This part is small enough that it could likely be made (by me) without a mountain of trouble.

And - as I've said before, I'll be sure that everything that I don't use out of this shell finds a good home to somebody in the club.

Thanks!

rogerbhp
360 Master

#10 Post by rogerbhp »

Hello, Garnet,

As far as the windshields go, I've heard that story before about the cut-down Toyota effort but I don't believe it's ever been done successfully. If you can find one, the best way to go is to find a re-pop and put it in (but you'll lose the stainless trim around the glass.) I have several original windshields available. If you do find a repop, be sure to get the generic rubber that goes with it. I'm almost positive that you cannot switch between original rubber and non-original replacement rubber.

For mirrors, an original pair of used stalk mirrors just sold on Ebay for over $300!! They almost never turn up anyway. You can come fairly close to the original stalk mirrors by researching motorcycle mirrors .... or you can do it the way I and many others have done: go to hot rod "peep" mirrors. No vibration and better field of vision.

Thanks to Wayne Saunders in OK (old one), you can get the horizontal window fuzzies for the two front doors but every other bit of window rubber is very difficult (except for the double track insulation for the rear side windows - that's impossible.)

I may have a used door handle and a used Subaru script for the nose.

It sounds like you need a 360 education; if you're inclined to come by my house in Arcadia, I'll share what I've learned.

Later,

Roger Ward
(626) 447-7130

garnet

#11 Post by garnet »

rogerbhp wrote:It sounds like you need a 360 education; if you're inclined to come by my house in Arcadia, I'll share what I've learned.
Yes - I totally need an education... agreed! I'm digging through the board posts and BOR, slowly. Roger... if you're serious, I'd love to come by your house, chat, and look at your parts!

Speaking of which, is there a Los Angeles / SoCal 360 meetup... or a microcar meetup with 360 owners?

Also - anybody have links or price estimates for repop windshields?

I think peep mirrors make sense - these seem pretty easy to find.

For my project, I talked to a custom vehicle fabricator that had an ad on Craigslist - http://www.playtechracing.com/index.html - they usually make sand-based off-road vehicles like sandrails and baja bugs - but also make stranger stuff like this:

(And not to worry - I'm not planning on putting tracks on my Sambar!)

I talked to the main chassis fabricator guy there about building a full tube frame and roll cage (he gave a ballpark of $800 for just the cage frame) and we discussed different powertrain options, focusing between the two options of an aircooled VW engine and a superbike engine. His advice was to go with a VW engine, since it's aircooled (which makes good sense to me, since there's not really a spot for the radiator in a Sambar), it's laid out better for the Sambar, and it has a more reliable transmission. The superbike engines have a tough time with transmissions and often need custom parts built since the engines rev up to ~9,000 rpm. Southern California also has a lot of shops that do aircooled VW stuff and it's pretty straightforward getting parts.

Since I have basically no vehicle parts (steering wheel, pedals, axles, anything) he suggested I shop for a scrap VW bug or a sandrail with a good engine/tranny and salvage the parts off of it.

After looking around on Craigslist, I found an example of something that might work as a donor vehicle:
Craigslist wrote:2 SEATER SANDRAIL, complete , hyd . peddles, turning brakes, full harness, with VW TURBO motor $2,500 OBO
You get the idea. I think it makes sense, since you basically get an entire car for the price of an engine (or the price of an expensive disc brake kit).

Alternately, you could use:
Scrap Beetle: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2828259119.html
Plus an engine something like this: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2823277426.html
(with custom frame, of course)

I don't really know a lot about VW engines beyond stock offerings, so need to do some homework. I've owned a couple of stock Bugs and Vanagons, but know nothing about this hot-rodded stuff (but that's not really a conversation that makes sense here).

The thing would presumably perform something like this (although I wouldn't include the preaching part):

I appreciate all of your feedback and curiosity - I'll try to post as the build progresses... although I won't be doing anything major for a few months.

Garnet

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#12 Post by 2stroketurbo »

There are a lot of shows around. You just have to find them.

ImageImageImage

Prodelo

#13 Post by Prodelo »

George and Roger are always very helpful. George gave me a lead on a fellow member getting rid of a chasis, I want to keep most of the parts on it but you are welcome to the bare chasis. It needs work if you want to use it or you can possibly use it as a template for you're custom chasis.

Paul

garnet

#14 Post by garnet »

Prodelo wrote:George and Roger are always very helpful. George gave me a lead on a fellow member getting rid of a chasis, I want to keep most of the parts on it but you are welcome to the bare chasis. It needs work if you want to use it or you can possibly use it as a template for you're custom chasis.

Paul
Paul - where are you located? I'd like to give you a call!

Also - yes - George is great. I just got off the phone with him. It turns out that my shell was the parts car for this red "custom van" project, which came from Rialto, CA - I think it's now somewhere in Orange County, CA:

(More pics: http://www.mysubaru360.com/photos/ebay/ ... d_van.html)

I need to give Roger a call - and I'd especially like to talk to (or hear from) people that have done California DMV or CHP vehicle inspections for their 360s (or for other antique or custom-built "hot rod" style vehicles). I don't want to spent a mountain of time and money building this project, then get to the DMV and they tell me I can't register it. I've been there and done that one time before, and would like for this 360 hotrod van be my daily driver.

I have heard that things like Lexan windows can have it deemed as an unsafe vehicle. I'll dig around and see what I can find and post back here for people that are planning on registering vans in California (like George). I need to also get a full parts list together of what I need, but so many parts are missing that I don't know what I'm missing... I just have the shell - no cardboard-box-of-parts was included.

It's been suggested that I install a stock engine for the inspection/registration, then do the customization after. This would be a big amount of extra work, though - and I'd need to borrow somebody's engine, axles, wheels, etc. *laugh* Thoughts? Any Californians with experience on this front?

Prodelo

#15 Post by Prodelo »

I live in Pomona ca

Prodelo@hotmail.com

Kanzen-Henkei
360 Master

#16 Post by Kanzen-Henkei »

It's been suggested that I install a stock engine for the inspection/registration, then do the customization after. This would be a big amount of extra work, though - and I'd need to borrow somebody's engine, axles, wheels, etc. *laugh* Thoughts? Any Californians with experience on this front?[/quote]

I knew you didn't have the engine didn't k now you didn't have axles, hubs, etc. That sucks.
Call that number I gave you maybe he still has that stuff.
It would be impossible to get it back to stock without that stuff.
Unless you take a different van to the inspection, lol ;)
Semper Fidelis,

Wanted: Subaru FF-1 1000, 1100 or 1300G, Parts Car or Parts. 360 Van Side Vent, Pedal Access Panel, Rear Bench & Head Rests.

garnet

#17 Post by garnet »

GraphicDesigner wrote:Unless you take a different van to the inspection, lol ;)
Yes - this would be much easier!

I talked on the phone with Paul in Pomona - I'm not sure if I'm going to take that frame or not, but thanks for giving me a heads up.

I also talked for quite a while with Roger - I'm likely going to buy a windshield from him, and I may bring my shell up past his house in Arcadia next week (Tuesday-ish) for him to take a look and help me make a parts list.

What parts did you have available again?

Garnet

Kanzen-Henkei
360 Master

#18 Post by Kanzen-Henkei »

What parts did you have available again?[/quote]
I have brake housing and lenses used
Gotta check to see what I paid for them
Semper Fidelis,

garnet

#19 Post by garnet »

OK - thanks for all of the phone conversations, folks! I've talked to Roger, Garm, Paul in Pomona, and Jorge over the past 48 hours - you guys have been very helpful.

From people who are familiar with windshield rubber, is this what the rubber to fit the repop windshields is supposed to look like?

It pretty much looks like the "tractor rubber" image on p235 of BOR Vol 2 that is supposed to work with repop windshields:

(although the image is flipped)

Thoughts?

garnet

#20 Post by garnet »

Here's a revised image that is a better comparison:

Opinions as to whether the right rubber would work?

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#21 Post by subaru360nut »

Garnet - both are from the BOR, left is for a cut to order Lexan II. windshield, right is for a factory or Billy Paul Repro glass windshield.

If you would like my parts lists please E-MAIL me.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

garnet

#22 Post by garnet »

SHELL FOR SALE?

I know this may seem like it's coming out of nowhere, but is anybody interested in buying my shell? Don't worry - I'm not throwing in the towel, but I may have found another van for more money that has a title and is registered - and I'm a bit paranoid about the CHP/DMV after a bad experience trying to import a vehicle and trying to get it registered. Because of the massive amount of powertrain and chassis modifications I'm wanting to do, I'd really prefer to have it registered before I spend a ton of money making a hot rod Sambar.

I'd sell it for $400 (firm) to club members. Would deliver for $50 within LA/OC. Has the following:
- no rust
- all doors
- most glass
- all VIN numbers/plates are in place
- windshield rubber is original and looks okay - although I'm not an expert on this
- all door hinges
- front vent appears complete
- has dash tray parts

PM me if you're interested.

garnet

#23 Post by garnet »

Hi folks,

I had lined up the purchase of another van (from a respected member here, who for now will remain anonymous) on an agreed price, then finally let go of my current shell.

I sold my shell to a guy named Carlos around Wilmington.

I then went to get the other van, and the seller (then the respected member here) then decided he didn't want to sell his van.

= insert sad music here=

So now I am vanless. I wish the respected member here would've initially told me he didn't want to sell the van - I would've hung on to my shell.

Anybody have a 360 van or shell (running or not) with a California title?

books1
360 Master

#24 Post by books1 »

garnet wrote:Hi folks,

I had lined up the purchase of another van (from a respected member here, who for now will remain anonymous) (...) then decided he didn't want to sell his van.

= insert sad music here=

(...)
He must've had an attack of "vanity" perhaps..... :?: :?: :?:

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#25 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Good Van Karma will come your way.

I just found my lost van I hadn't seen in years...

You'll find yours

ImageImageImage

garnet

#26 Post by garnet »

Yeah - I'm putting my faith into the energy of the Sambar universe, and will do this project whenever the van gods decide to smile down on me. In the meantime, send Cali-registered vans my way for good karma.

drrishi1
360 Fanatic

#27 Post by drrishi1 »

2stroketurbo wrote:Good Van Karma will come your way.

I just found my lost van I hadn't seen in years...

You'll find yours

Looks pretty darn good! I know you will breathe your magic into it!
"The best things in life....are not things"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=tn_tnmn

Kanzen-Henkei
360 Master

Re: Hi! 1969 Sambar Shell - Orange County, Southern California

#28 Post by Kanzen-Henkei »

I wonder what happened to this she'll?
Semper Fidelis,

TONY
360 Master

#29 Post by TONY »

Image Welcome to the club, Id love to see how your van turns out,, Im Tony and im in San Diego..

yachtsteve
360 Newbie

#30 Post by yachtsteve »

Tony, I know you are getting tired of hearing it, but your van is incredible!!
Colorado and South Florida