New Member from Reno, NV

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Smithrob1
360 Fanatic

New Member from Reno, NV

#1 Post by Smithrob1 »

Hello Everybody!

I'm Robert Smith and I finally settled down in Reno after a growing up as an Army brat and then serving 20 years of my own....moving all over the world every 2-3 years. I currently don't own one of these fine little machines, but I grew up with a 1969 (I could be mistaken and it could have been a 1970) 360 Pickup. My dad purchased it in the very early 70's (it was almost brand new) and it was a staple in mine and all of my siblings' lives throughout our childhood. I learned how to drive a stickshift in that truck. I was the youngest of 6, and when I joined the Army and moved out, my dad got rid of the truck (because all 6 of us wanted it desperately and he didn't want to go down that road). I am now hell-bent on finding another one and restoring it. There was something magical about that little pickup that absolutely nothing else can replicate. I can still distinctly recall the smell of the cab, the engine compartment and the good ole 20stroke exhaust (in my dad's truck it came out of smokestacks that my dad installed with inline glasspacks - he was a truck driver for much of his life and this was his little fun version of a semi - he decked it out accordingly).

Here is a pic of my favorite little truck of all time:
~Smitty (Robert Smith) | Proud Owner of a 1969 Subaru 360 Van ~The Mistress~
Web: http://www.smittymicro.com

Garm
360 Master

Re: New Member from Reno, NV

#2 Post by Garm »

welcome to the Club. Those exhaust stacks are priceless -- I would do the exact same thing if I had a pickup.

Read, ask, and enjoy the camaraderie, this is a great Club. :)

foyfarlow
360 Fanatic

#3 Post by foyfarlow »

hey very cool story and welcome .. i wish you the best of luck locating one .. there just about as rare as dragons teeth anymore =)

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#4 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to the Club - I had a pickup from 1983-96, tricked it out as the World's Smallest Fire Truck, it is now owned by a member in New Hampshire. When we moved across town in Tucson in 1992 almost everything got moved on that truck (not all in one load of course :roll:

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#5 Post by subaru360nut »

PS - Robert, the best way to find a good or restorable piclup is to run a (free) ad in the Club Newsletter which ALL 450+ member families get. E-mail this to Brian, same member you sent your dues to when you joined.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

oldone
360 Master

#6 Post by oldone »

hi welcome!! the truck is my favorite 360. hang in there i looked for the right one for quite awile. found (smoky longgo ) in irvine ca. it had been parked since 1984 with 20,000 miles. curently doing the brakes should be a driver in a few weeks will post pics. there will be 1 out there. i belong to 5 other microcar car clubs but this one best!!