360 vans

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Airgeorge
360 Newbie

360 vans

#1 Post by Airgeorge »

Hi I'm George Hatton new to the club after a recent discovery of 4-69/70 deluxe sambar vans once owned by Princeton university in nj. Once I saw them in disrepair sitting hard. I knew what I'd be doing for the next few days. Removing these vans from the farm 2 were in a corn crib 2 were in the pines. With some basic steps 1 is running & driving no brakes other should be running soon. Welp that's me never know what tomorrow brings. & a chance to learn & understand these vehicles I know is a fun rare opportunity included was a chest of mostly nos parts plugs caps points cond carb f/p o/p 20 tailights 10 rev lens truck mirrors thanks. From Monroe/jamesburgh nj

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

Re: 360 vans

#2 Post by subaru360nut »

George - welcome to The Club! We found our 360 van in Jamesburg in 2/75
and drove it for over 40 years. We used to go to the Giants/Eagles game every
year in Princeton and in the fall of '75 we saw several of the vans at the stadium.
I found the shop where they were serviced on campus and asked them to contact
me if they ever wanted to sell one. Never heard a thing.

Several years later I found they had used some for gunnery practice for ROTC and
sent the rest to a local junkyard. I went to the junkyard and they had got rid of'
everything but a few spare wheels (which I bought).

Glad you finally found one that survived in hibernation! Hope you can drive it at
least 40 years!

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Airgeorge
360 Newbie

#3 Post by Airgeorge »

Thanks Ed. I called the garage at Princeton asking for manuals parts photos whatever. They were no help. Bob the 80 yr old man who sold me the 3 of them which turned out to be 4 for the same price when I found another one behind a sheet of plywood in the shed. His sister worked for the college he mentioned. He owned a body shop back then aquired them but never did anything with them. Not a guy who sells things right place right time right stuff. To ask about. I wondered on to his property from a neighboring where I was fixing the boiler. Cellar was flooded so I set the pump & went for a walk to the property line where where I saw them in his yard guy was super cool & glad I was gonna do something with them. Wish I could send u pics I have the rest of that stack of spare wheels. Some nice snows & a few pin stripes I'll send to your email if that's possible.

books1
360 Master

#4 Post by books1 »

Hi George and welcome to the Club from downunder - you'll get lots of help here! Hopefully you'll send Bob piccys of your restored van/vans when completed. Cheers, Ian

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#5 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the club! Nice find.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

Preciador6
360 Master

#6 Post by Preciador6 »

Welcome great find :D