Wrong hand drive in Melbourne

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

dfoyl2

Wrong hand drive in Melbourne

#1 Post by dfoyl2 »

Hello from the world's most liveable city (or so we keep getting told, though it would be nice to get a day that isn't wet or too hot once in a while) - Melbourne (Australia, not Florida).

I am a Subaru Brumby (BRAT) owner who has recently taken possession of a US 1971 360 Deluxe. It needs quite a bit of work (note to younger self, buy a better condition example next time as the shipping and import duty costs have tripled the value of this car), but is certainly not terrible in terms of body work (mostly just a rusty drivers side door and a few dings). The engine is frozen solid unfortunately.

The intention is to convert to RHD, upgrade the brakes as well as can be, and quasi-restore (the off-white colour isn't quite my cup of tea).

I will be looking for quite a few replacement parts (AnthonyC could be my new BFF), with the tougher items being (in terms of shipping) a new front windscreen, possibly a new door (depending on how bad the rust actually is), rubbers throughout, possibly new pistons, and I am sure there are plenty more issues to be found.

I had the 360 towed directly to my Subaru mechanic who has been tasked with the engine rebuild and getting it running, before I start the restoration work...

I look forward to being a part of this active community. I am generally found on Ultimate Subaru Message Board, under the dfoyl moniker.

AnthonyC
360 Master

Re: Wrong hand drive in Melbourne

#2 Post by AnthonyC »

If there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask
Always willing to help out a fellow enthusiast
I still have about 40 more parts on my to build list that I have not posted yet
Welcome to the club
Anthony C
So Cal Long Beach
562-236-6331

oldone
360 Master

#3 Post by oldone »

Hello down under!!! Welcome to the club. I see a set of Wiesco pistons in your future... :wink: Ian is your closest link in Perth. Is the rust on the door on the front lip?? Common due to foam rubber seal. Ian should have the RHD parts left over from his old SS????

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#4 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club! Enjoy ALL your Subarus!

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

books1
360 Master

#5 Post by books1 »

oldone wrote: 6 years ago Hello down under!!! Welcome to the club. I see a set of Wiesco pistons in your future... :wink: Ian is your closest link in Perth. Is the rust on the door on the front lip?? Common due to foam rubber seal. Ian should have the RHD parts left over from his old SS????
Yes indeed Wayne - I've already PM'd Dean about the RHD dash that I removed just the other day. We have to PM each other, because we speak the same language!! :lol: :lol:

dfoyl2

#6 Post by dfoyl2 »

Thank you all for the warm replies. Anthony, I will contact you directly (I will be in the US in about 6 weeks time, so may even catch up with you in person if our schedules permit and my luggage space can handle it :D ).

On the Wiseco pistons, I am going to ask what is probably a silly question - is it difficult to make a 360 a 450 ? And will pistons be the hardest part to obtain ?

Yes, the rust is on the front lip, maybe an inch in from the edge of the door leading edge. I don't think it is unrepairable, but it is about the only really bad spot (it is an Arizona vehicle).

AnthonyC
360 Master

#7 Post by AnthonyC »

Just text or p.m. me a list of possiable parts so I can make sure I set aside those items for you
Thanks
Anthony C
So Cal Long Beach
562-236-6331

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#8 Post by subaru360nut »

dfoyl2 wrote: 6 years ago Thank you all for the warm replies. Anthony, I will contact you directly (I will be in the US in about 6 weeks time, so may even catch up with you in person if our schedules permit and my luggage space can handle it :D ).

On the Wiseco pistons, I am going to ask what is probably a silly question - is it difficult to make a 360 a 450 ? And will pistons be the hardest part to obtain ?

Yes, the rust is on the front lip, maybe an inch in from the edge of the door leading edge. I don't think it is unrepairable, but it is about the only really bad spot (it is an Arizona vehicle).
The 450 was a variant of the EK-31 engine and was discontinued when the EK-32 was developed.
The parts are not interchangeable.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

books1
360 Master

#9 Post by books1 »

There are also some parts that are quite different, i.e.; air filter canister.

The only place you'd be likely to pick up 450 parts Dean would be......

(wait for it!)

AUSTRALIA!

Hehe - we imported around 35 of them back in 1961. That's the other thing - the parts would be ten years older than your existing vehicle, and you may be under the impression that they were more powerful, faster than a standard 360. I don't think they really were. You'd probably be better off keeping it as a standard (- and Deluxe) 360.

Cheers,

Ian

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#10 Post by subaru360nut »

That's why the 450 was phased out, EK-32 had more horsepower and torque.
If you could find an EK-33 that would REALLY make it faster.
But mill 0.050" off the heads of your EK-32 and you will gain torque.

Ed

dfoyl2

#11 Post by dfoyl2 »

Ok, that makes sense - the Wikipedia page for the EJ engine does show the EK51 and the EK32 are about the same in terms of performance (everything else being equal). So the Wiseco pistons are probably my best (and I guess only non-custom piston) option for an engine being rebuilt. Is the Wiseco piston common to both EK31 and EK32 ?

books1
360 Master

#12 Post by books1 »

Hi Dean,

Re : Wiseco repro pistons:

I believe that two sizes are available:

62.00mm (+0.50mm over stock)

62.50mm (+1.00mm over stock)

Any other member care to confirm?

Cheers,

Ian