1969 360 Van, new to forum.

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Orenjisan

1969 360 Van, new to forum.

#1 Post by Orenjisan »

In the last stages of an almost 4 year restoration on my 1969 Subaru 360 Van.

Rebuilt motor runs awesome. Body was cleaned up and re-painted with a bit of pearl added.

Now I'm stuck on a lower front wheel cylinder which has been giving me a headache for the last 2 months. It's the only thing keeping me off the road at the moment. It's leaking just a little bit from behind the cup and piston, but it's enough to shut down the whole brake system. After taking it apart the components look nothing like the piston and cup in the 360 Van repair manual or the cups I got for the rebuild. The piston I pulled out had a completely flat back that sits against a flat cup as opposed to the "nipple" style piston that sits inside the donut style cup. I've managed to find some 15/16 flat style cups on ebay, so I'm hoping that solves the issue and gets me out rolling (or stopping, rather) around town.

Once the brakes have been sorted, the next step is tidying up the interior. The dash needs some TLC and a good clean up to the wiring wouldn't hurt, either. Once that's completed it's on to sealing up all the doors, getting some floor upholstery done, and perhaps designing a nice little stereo. And lastly I'm building a rack for her to carry around some toys.

Any advice on the brakes or comments are greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

web img

oldone
360 Master

Re: 1969 360 Van, new to forum.

#2 Post by oldone »

Nice Van... :D
The ORG style piston can be turn out on a lathe, a club member in NJ had some made out of stainless steel. I sold him some of the cups that I sold to Garm, But he doesn't get on the forum..

rogerbhp
360 Master

#3 Post by rogerbhp »

Nice looking van !!! There's another very nice van in San Diego that's owned by a guy named Tony. His van is for sale on Craigslist now. You can get his phone # from his ad if you're interested. Looking good !!!

Candy4602

#4 Post by Candy4602 »

The flat style cup alone will not fix your leak. The cup will bottom out at the back of the bore and it will deform which will allow it to leak. I know this from experience. There would have to be a secondary piston behind the cup to act as a stop. This is the setup I have been running for for about six months now with no leaks.

rogerbhp
360 Master

#5 Post by rogerbhp »

Do you know what Bobby DeCola has available for the T/V? As I remember, he has made up all new quarter window rubbers, new gaskets for all the running lights, backup lens and gasket, Subaru star emblem, Subaru nose script (I think), new gaskets for brake lights, etc.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#6 Post by subaru360nut »

Some members used to cut the back off the piston and use
cups instead of the original seals.
To do this you MUST put a spring behind the cup to hold
it against the piston. If yours is missing the spring you
MAY be able to correct it - go to NAPA and get a wheel cyl
kit 15/16" - if they have one for a half-cylinder use the one
seal and one spring in the kit.; If they have one for a
double-ended cylinder cut the spring in half and use one
half spring behind the cup when you assemble it.

Be sure the bore is free from scratches and pits, if there
are small ones they may polish out with a brake hone, if
not you will need to get the cylinder sleeved.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB! Your van looks great.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

jcimino
360 Master

#7 Post by jcimino »

Good looking van. Welcome to the club, if anyone can help you out, it would be these guys.
Jim
Jim Cimino

carlofsumner
360 Master

#8 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome to the club. I was just in San Diego the beginning of this week. Sorry I didn't see your notification then, I would have stopped buy and looked at and loved your van. Beautiful.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser