Sedan Brake work

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

sheltr

Sedan Brake work

#1 Post by sheltr »

hi in SC have had 1970 Sedan for several years (been neglected) --trying to do brake work. All suggestions welcome. thks

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

Re: Sedan Brake work

#2 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Disassemble, sleeve wheel cylinders and master, polish the pistons, get new seals and brake lines reassemble, good to go.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

rogerbhp
360 Master

#3 Post by rogerbhp »

Brakes are one of the weak spots on the car. It's better to do them once and do them right than to have to go back again and again .... but doing them right means having to spend some money. To do them right:
1) Get the rubber cups from ebay (sedans are different than the trucks and vans (T/Vs)
2) Find a master cylinder kit (from Japan?)
3) Tear down the brake system and replace or repair, as necessary, the hoses, shoes and drums
4) Send the cylinders out for re-sleeving. Use either Karp's or White Post ($$)
5) When you get the parts back, reassemble.

Assuming you want to save some money and time, you can try eliminating step #3 and #4. The more steps you eliminate, the less chance you'll have of a good non-working and non-leaking system. If you want me to walk you thru it all, send me a pm with your phone number and a good time to call.

sheltr

#4 Post by sheltr »

thks much --pondering and taking assessment

rogerbhp wrote:Brakes are one of the weak spots on the car. It's better to do them once and do them right than to have to go back again and again .... but doing them right means having to spend some money. To do them right:
1) Get the rubber cups from ebay (sedans are different than the trucks and vans (T/Vs)
2) Find a master cylinder kit (from Japan?)
3) Tear down the brake system and replace or repair, as necessary, the hoses, shoes and drums
4) Send the cylinders out for re-sleeving. Use either Karp's or White Post ($$)
5) When you get the parts back, reassemble.

Assuming you want to save some money and time, you can try eliminating step #3 and #4. The more steps you eliminate, the less chance you'll have of a good non-working and non-leaking system. If you want me to walk you thru it all, send me a pm with your phone number and a good time to call.

rogerbhp
360 Master

#5 Post by rogerbhp »

I guess the real issue is how good is the car now and how good do you want it to be? If it's fairly rust-free or you just want a beater for yard driving, you're talking about two very different cars. Is it fairly complete and runs well .... or is the car in need of a complete restoration? There are virtually no parts to be had (even for the sedan) so that may be a consideration. Still, when you're tooling down the road and responding to all the girls who are waving at you, it's hard to knock a Subie. Your call.