Weird car shop

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

BlackForestRacing

Weird car shop

#1 Post by BlackForestRacing »

Hello 360ers. I run a shop mostly for Porsche's, but because I'm a known and trusted place in the area I also get all of the unique and strange cars. Panteras, Alfa Romeos, Deloreans, and now Subaru 360's it seems. A client brought us a 1969 360 van that has been through a bunch of different places on its way to partially being restored. There's a few items remaining which I hope to figure out by searching here and maybe starting s thread or two.

The thing is an absolute hit around the shop and I'm in love. I'm definitely putting one on my wish list to use as an errand runner for the shop!

rogerbhp
360 Master

Re: Weird car shop

#2 Post by rogerbhp »

Welcome! I suggest you add your area to the space on the left (in case other Subie owners want to give you NOS parts .... or in case someone has a van for sale.)

oldone
360 Master

#3 Post by oldone »

Welcome! I worked in VW /Porsche dealership in the 60s &70s. (356 & 911s) Owned a Pantera, Sold it to a member on the forum, have a 82 930 since 83 , had several of the under powered Deloreans & a quite a few Alfa's, but the little Subbies & other Micro's will sneak up & bite you on the BUTT & won't let go!!! Once your hooked, rehab is almost impossible, yet a few have made it. :lol: :lol:
Like Roger said put your location in the left side :wink: I don't know where I'm at most of the time, much less you :roll: :wink:

BlackForestRacing

#4 Post by BlackForestRacing »

Fixed my location ;-).

My father, whom hangs around the shop and claims to work still (LOL), worked for a VW/Audi/Porsche/Lotus dealer in New Jersey in the early 1970's.

Our biggest passion is 914's; we own several including the lowest mileage 914-6 known to exist (5,020 miles) and an original race-history 914-6 from Belgium. Until a couple months ago I considered them small cars HA! Funny though, the 360 Van is at least as comfy (I'm 6'2") and holds twice as many people.

Turns out I think I've got all my answers without even needing to post, the search saved the day. My customer wanted dual carbs for more power but after reading here I'm thinking a) it's not cost effective, and b) his isn't 'right' as it sounds like in good running stock form it should do more than the bare-over-50mph it seems to top out at now. Also, missing all four front door strap brackets. We already got straps, but now I'm armed with a VW part number of a bracket that can be made to work. Thanks 360 club forum!

Edit: here's a pic of one bay of the shop packed up a few nights ago with the 360 and some other colorful toys:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBFej6lOx_8/

rogerbhp
360 Master

#5 Post by rogerbhp »

Please post some photos of your 360. What I saw leads me to believe that your van has been modified to eliminate the side windows.

Although we have recently had some success in getting repopped parts (thanks, Bobby, Garm, Little Car Lover, Ron, Nathan, and others), no one is making the brackets yet for the door straps.

Every van I've driven has a top speed of 61 to 63 mph (indicated) so I don't see the need for more carbs. Spend the time and money on brakes, instead.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#6 Post by kjrcace360fan »

I wish my shop looked like that. Mine is currently a mess after recently moving and building a new garage. I'm sure I'll get it better sorted but currently I'm moving stuff to finish the last little bits of the garage and installing equipment. My experience with 360's is not long but the main thrust to increasing top speed is to reduce weight and resistance everywhere. I recently took my 360 to be inspected with 10 psi in the tires. The guy at the shop aired them up to 40 lbs. The return trip was like they added a blower. Any drag or misalignment will reduce top speed. Also the motor needs to be tip top shape.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

books1
360 Master

#7 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder.... thingumiejig!

Ah... 356 Porsches.... beautiful memories... :D

(I have a photo or two somewhere... must dig one out for you)

Scotty G
360 Newbie

#8 Post by Scotty G »

Very cool, welcome! And, now we know of at least one restoration shop that's willing to take on a Subaru 360! I wish you were closer to Minnesota..

BlackForestRacing

#9 Post by BlackForestRacing »

rogerbhp wrote:Please post some photos of your 360. What I saw leads me to believe that your van has been modified to eliminate the side windows.

Although we have recently had some success in getting repopped parts (thanks, Bobby, Garm, Little Car Lover, Ron, Nathan, and others), no one is making the brackets yet for the door straps.

Here's a quick little video from the first time we got it running that shows a view of the whole thing:
https://instagram.com/p/BAuay0Gux6o/

I found the thread that discussed the VW Typ2 brackets that fit with modification and have already ordered some ;-). While we aren't planning to do anything drastic, we are far more concerned with functionality that originality.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#10 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Sounds pretty healthy. Nice work. Not a big fan of the light panel but hey, some parts become too hard to find and you wanna run these things.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

books1
360 Master

#11 Post by books1 »

Lucky enough to ride shotgun in this delightful machine, following a State championship car rally back in the 1970s...

books1
360 Master

#12 Post by books1 »

- and EXTREMELY lucky to have been able to drive this rare beauty! :D