Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

MALLEN

#1 Post by MALLEN »

Well, I guess another one joins the ranks! My name is Mike Allen and I live in Louisville, Kentucky and I am now the proud owner of a 360. I will post numbers and photos in
a few days. I believe it to be a 1970. It is the auto clutch version. I would prefer the standard clutch, but you take what you find! I could use help in all areas, but I will ask
these questions right off: Source for tires and tubes---suggestions for missing keys (ignition/gas lid ect)--Drivers door handles/latches seam to work properly both inside and out but the door will not open. (misalignment I suspect) Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

The car is very complete even down to the jack. There is also a little fold up metal wheel chalk which appears to be oem. The car has been stored inside a body shop forever as this was the business of the owner. Lot of body shop dust to clean up as you can imagine! Interior is all there and in good serviceable condition. Body condition has baseball size rust through on lower tips of front fenders just ahead of front tire (lower front wheel arch I suppose) on both sides. The doors have same situation on lower leading edge of door panel (lower rear part of front wheel arch) The underside is not rusty at all! All structural components are perfect!! Not very bad really considering the Kentucky climate. Engine bay is complete and unmolested. Engine turns freely by hand. Dusty to be sure but only on the surface. I know--a picture would have saved you guys and gals this paragraph.

If any owners are close by me please contact me--502-592-1869

Thanking all in advance, Mike Allen

rogerbhp
360 Master

Re: New member

#2 Post by rogerbhp »

Hello, Mike! Good to have you aboard.

The original tires were 4.80 x 10 bias; most owners prefer a 5.20 x 10 radial for handling, ride and safety, though. You can get 4.80s from Coker Tires; Coker will sell you direct or you can buy from several of their agents around the country (including Garm Beall, who is a club member and active on this forum. His website is reallysmallcars.com). For 5.20s, try Mini Mania in Northern California. If you want whitewalls, you must go with Coker, as no one else, to my knowledge, makes a 10" whitewall tire. You won't have much choice on brand; you'll need to take what you can find. We used to get Kumho and Pirelli, but I haven't seen either for years. The last set I found were Dutch, with a strange German-sounding name that I can't remember right now. If you need to know it, tell me and I'll go out to the garage and check.

Be sure to get bent valve tubes, not straight. You can get them at any Honda motorcycle parts place. They will say 3.50-4.00 on the box and will look too skinny but don't be alarmed. I haven't popped a tire in twenty-plus years.

All the original locks and keys for 360s have a four digit number stamped in them (like G622 or H394.) Look your car over and write down all of these numbers you can find. Then post here and start begging for what you need. You might get lucky and find someone who has an extra key or lock (probably not.) I believe sedans are all supposed to work on one key.

Did your car come with an original tool kit?

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#3 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome to the club! you sound like you know what you got yourself into ..... unlike all the rest of us ! ha
ImageImageImage

MALLEN

#4 Post by MALLEN »

Thanks for replies. I feel a little slow due to the fact I have restored several Honda CT 70's that use a 10" bent valve tube----da! Yes I will post all the info in a few days. I am actually on vacation at this time. (Wife on beach. Me thinking of all my projects in garage missing me.)
In my introduction I mentioned that my car is an "auto clutch" version and that I would rather have a standard clutch car...This statement is based on the fact that the mechanism could a rascal to work on--I have no idea at this time. I hope I did not offend any auto clutch owners. Seams like I rode in a VW back in the day that was an auto clutch and it worked very well.

Key number is G640 Any help on Key would be huge as I do not want to do damage to gas fill door. (not that I think a little gas and a little oil in the injector tank is all this puppy needs!!!)

Tire info is great also. Yes I know what "project" means. I also am use to paddling up hill on my projects. And I most enjoy someone telling me you will never find what you need! (that is not to say that I have found all that I need at this time)

Opps wife needs cold drink- I must go now. thanks to all

mike allen

oldone
360 Master

#5 Post by oldone »

Mike Welcome aboard. The VW stick shift automatic came out in 1968, at that time I was a service manager for a VW dealership, it drove us nuts til we worked the bugs out. It was one of the reasons I went into the sales department. Looking forward to your Pics.

poobear
360 Newbie

#6 Post by poobear »

Hey welcome to The Club. Coolest vehicles but better members. Do bring one of your babies to the beach with you? I tow my Nash Metropolitan behind my Ford F350/Lance camper rig to Emma Wood Beach in Ventura,Ca. You become mini celebrities with the cool rides. Can't wait to bring my van and Frog/dunebuggy. Congrats on your new love.
Mark (Poo Bear)

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#7 Post by subaru360nut »

Mike - welcome to The Club!

I used 145x10 radials on my 360s for more than 40 years,
along with the 350/400x 10 tubes with 90 degree valves that
you already found (Honda scooter)

It is possible to convert your autoclutch to 4-speed but you
will need the complete transaxle, including crankshaft
and clutch assy and cover, the long shifter rod, the
sedan complete pedal assy with the clutch pedal and a clutch
cable.

Any G series key can be used by altering the tumblers in
your locks to fit it. See articles in BOOK OF REPRINTS
indexed KEYS/LOCKS

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

books1
360 Master

#8 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club, Mike..... all the way from "downunder" !

MALLEN

#9 Post by MALLEN »

This has been a warm welcome and thanks to all.

Lead in to a question: While I have been waiting to be accepted as a member I have searching this forum a bit. Seams that the wheel cylinders and possibly the master cylinders are a real problem. I am anticipating that I will have that problem as everything I drag home has the "Real Problem" thing going on with it! But I love it. So here is the question: Have all possibilities of finding wheel cylinder replacements been exhausted. My other sickness has allowed me to find these parts for 1946 willys jeeps, Crosleys, and Cushman three wheeled motor scooters. I am not talking OEM. I am talking anything that will work properly. I do live not far from a foundry that I have discussed casting some other none 360 parts in the past and it is doable if enough people showed an interest. I know that is extreme, but maybe not considering I have seen prices as high as $750 for proper rebuilds! All I am saying is that once you set up to do the machine work--you are set of to do a bunch.

If all avenues have been pursued, then so be it. Let me know any thoughts on what has been searched.

Thank you Mike Allen
P.S. I was down under in 1969 for 6 days and 7 nights! A group of locals took me under their wing and made absolutely sure that I had a great time. I will never forget them or Australia!!!!

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#10 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the club and the geographic neighborhood. I'm in WV at least. Can't wait to see the pics. Wheel cylinders are available but will most likely need sleeved. You might have to look a while. though if you have none. I bought a few 360's just for parts and a parts lot for a couple parts. My wife thinks it's an illness. Anyway I'm currently in the end of moving, building a garage and selling a house with a great garage. So when I get everything moved I'll have some time to try to help. As for foundry help, That would be great. I spent the better part of a year getting wiseco to make pistons and That worked out so far. Windshield gaskets took less time but I'm not sure how long. It seemed those items were unattainium at the time. Other members have been working on a couple other rare parts so things are looking up for our members.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

MALLEN

#11 Post by MALLEN »

My hobbies have no geographic boundaries! My dirt bike days took me to the Black Water 100 at Davies, WV! What a blast and what a same they shut it down. Anyway, my car is complete and been inside and maybe my wheel cylinders will be fine. I just know that there are tons of wheel cylinders available if one could just wade though all of them to find a fit that would not be listed for a 360. I had good luck with Barnett Clutch doing a few special things for me back in the day. All they needed was a sample to match up and we played with different friction plate materials for free! Good ole' days.

I am trying to finish a couple willys (48 flat fender and 55 m38 bodied cj5) before I start getting into the mechanicals 0f the 360. She needs a little body work on a few corners that I may get after for a jeep break. Posting pics will tell it all, which I hope to figure out in a day or two. I do need help with a key as mine has none! Does one key fir all locks meaning the ignition, trunk, and gas tank door??? I have not seen an answer to this question yet and others have asked. My number on the locks are the same I think---G 640. I really don't want to hurt the gas door.

Thanks for your reply Mike Allen

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#12 Post by kjrcace360fan »

My 360 Young "Spud" has one key that fits ignition, door and gas door. Same with Hippie. So I figure originally you received one key for two drivers. Or maybe you only got one key.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy