New Member from Fargo, ND

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

LittlePicasso

New Member from Fargo, ND

#1 Post by LittlePicasso »

Hey all! I picked up a '70 deluxe last week that has sat since '79. It needs a complete restoration and i dont have the engine/transmission yet but i love it! His name is Pablo (hence LittlePicasso). The first picture is from when i pulled it out of the storage building, and the second is today after i've pretty much pulled it apart. He's in rough shape after some kids a few years ago broke all the glass and kicked in the body panels, and he'll need a lot of parts, but im excited for the journey!
Attachments
IMG_20150618_145238.jpg
IMG_20150618_145238.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 11540 times
IMAG0596.jpg
Bob H
1970 Subaru 360 Deluxe - Pablo

carlofsumner
360 Master

Re: New Member from Fargo, ND

#2 Post by carlofsumner »

Hello, new member from Fargo, ND. Welcome to the group and hopefully the club. You will get great help here.
Put your name and location in the panel on the left so we will know who you are. Good to see you excited about our little cars. We love them too.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

oldone
360 Master

#3 Post by oldone »

Welcome!! :D You got the pics in early :shock: That looks like a pretty original sedan, Inside Pics please :wink: :oops: Already apart :?

LittlePicasso

#4 Post by LittlePicasso »

I don't have any interior pics currently, but it's down to the metal, seats need to be redone and the floorboards are rusted through
Bob H

oldone
360 Master

#5 Post by oldone »

Bob a you going back original or custom???? If your seats are org I would like to know the measurements of the covers?

LittlePicasso

#6 Post by LittlePicasso »

oldone, I plan on going to original mostly, I might get a local shop to make a soft top convertible similar to the factory option. The seats are all original but it is completely tore up down to the foam.
Bob H

books1
360 Master

#7 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder, Bob!

Floorboards??? :?

LittlePicasso

#8 Post by LittlePicasso »

Haha, oops! Floor pans
Bob H

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#9 Post by subaru360nut »

Bob - welcome to The Club!
If you haven't got the Book of Reprints yet
this Website tells how to get it free and it
will answer 95+% of all your questions about
your Favorite Vehicle :D

We are all here to help get - and .keep each others'
360s on the road

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

LittlePicasso

#10 Post by LittlePicasso »

Thank you! I'll definitely check into that. Just a question for anyone who sees this, for floorpans, would it be easier to scout down a rust free floorpan from a 360/similar, or make it yourself? And if it's making it yourself what's the best way to do it?
Bob H

oldone
360 Master

#11 Post by oldone »

I'll make a guess, the drivers side front under the pedals is rusted out. :shock:

rogerbhp
360 Master

#12 Post by rogerbhp »

Unless you have some crazy good metalworking skills, you're in for a very tough job if you try to make them yourself. I'd post a note here begging for a decent parts car that came from a desert area and has decent floors already. You probably won't find one, though. I don't want to be pessimistic but it sounds like this project puts you between a rock and a hard place. Best wishes and good luck with your car.

LittlePicasso

#13 Post by LittlePicasso »

I figured id just ask a question on my thread since i'm sure i'll have more. I'm working on the engine just to start somewhere. I'm gonna get the cylinder walls bored this week to +.5 and see if the pits are gone, if they are buy Wiseco pistons otherwise bore them another .5 and get the next size bigger or find new cylinder walls. anyways, i want to make sure the crank lasts as long as it can so what parts are usually included in that. i'm assuming crank seals? where do i find them? the crank and rods appear to be in pretty good shape for having 58k on the car and sitting since 1980. After taking off the cylinder heads all i can see is some small particles in the oil, otherwise it spins good.
Bob H

TONY
360 Master

#14 Post by TONY »

Welcome to the club ...Great looking little project.

LittlePicasso

#15 Post by LittlePicasso »

Thank you! And any input on my question about the engine would be greatly appreciated! :D
Bob H

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#16 Post by 2stroketurbo »

LittlePicasso wrote:I figured id just ask a question on my thread since i'm sure i'll have more. I'm working on the engine just to start somewhere. I'm gonna get the cylinder walls bored this week to +.5 and see if the pits are gone, if they are buy Wiseco pistons otherwise bore them another .5 and get the next size bigger or find new cylinder walls. anyways, i want to make sure the crank lasts as long as it can so what parts are usually included in that. i'm assuming crank seals? where do i find them? the crank and rods appear to be in pretty good shape for having 58k on the car and sitting since 1980. After taking off the cylinder heads all i can see is some small particles in the oil, otherwise it spins good.

The cylinders are amazingly thick, I doubt you will need new ones, I also doubt the rust pits are very deep unless water was filled/sitting in the cylinders for years. The 62.5mm Wiseco pistons Garm sells should bore out /clean up/ be no problem. I have rare 63mm's Wisecos in my scorpion sedan. The 63's come along every so often if you know someone. Be aware the larger bore increases compression, I would use stock uncut heads or prepare for massive pinging. I run .0035" cylinder to piston wall clearances and never had a problem. The instructions call for .001" which you will certainly seize. I also put each cylinder in a vice, take a roll of 80 grit Emory cloth to all the ports and spend a hour to smooth them out, you wont make them bigger, just straighter. Makes a big difference. Your crank is probably fine, check all the bearings, its easy to do. Yes, replace crank seals. Pin the driven gear to the trans. and pop the cover left side, check the nuts on lay shaft and OD behind the fan . Get a brand new clutch. And...you'll be good .
ImageImageImage

LittlePicasso

#17 Post by LittlePicasso »

That was very helpful, thanks!
Bob H