West Texas 360

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

gsla72

West Texas 360

#1 Post by gsla72 »

Greetings from the dusty city of Lubbock Texas. I picked up this 1970 360 over the weekend with a fairly interesting history.

The car was owned by a student at the university here in town during the early 70's. Sometime between 1974 and 1976 (judging from the inspection and registration stickers), the car hit a deer in a small town on the highway in to Lubbock. The car was towed to a shop in Slaton and parked for repairs. The hood, fenders, headlight buckets, and front bumper were damaged in the accident, along with both rear quarters which were damaged when the doors flew open while being towed. Evidently the student didn't have the funds to fix the car, and it sat in a corner of a shop in Slaton Texas for over thirty years untouched with just under 15,000 miles on the clock.

I bought it from a guy who purchased it from the estate of the shop owner. The car sat in his storage unit for several years on a trailer. The first picture is how we found the car when we went to pick it up, and the second is the ride back home.

The car also has a twin that I believe was sold new here in Lubbock Texas. It is owned now by Oldone here on the site. Judging from some newspaper articles I've found from the local paper, it looks like one (maybe both) of these cars went unsold for a few years.

Here's the car in it's new home ready for us to get started: Image

First order of business will be getting this little guy up and running, but I'll be needing some front end parts (headlight buckets for sure) and a passenger side door handle (outside). So if anybody has any leads on these, feel free to PM me. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on the site, as it seems like a great community you guys have on here.

Quick question as well, I couldn't ever get the book of reprints to download. I'm wondering if I have a bad link maybe?
Logan
1970 Subaru 360

oldone
360 Master

Re: West Texas 360

#2 Post by oldone »

That has to be Middy's twin judging from the dust! :lol: :lol: I have some headlight eyebrow repops I got from Calif, I think I paid $129.00 plus shipping, you can have them for the same,$129.00 + shipping to you. They are the ones that need a spring lug attached.
Please drop the oil pump / 2 bolts before turning the engine over, the pump could be gummed p & stuck from setting so long!! The gears in the pump will strip if the pump is stuck.
Great find, interior should be in good shape?

carlofsumner
360 Master

#3 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome to the club. Were all pretty much where you are and you'll get all the help you can stand here.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#4 Post by kjrcace360fan »

nice find, I believe a guy here named steve has some NOS door handles. I bought some from him. They are in great shape.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

Subie Gal
Site Admin

#5 Post by Subie Gal »

welcome!

what a project! :mrgreen: looking forward to helping you bring this little one back to life. :wink:

Definitely need to name this little guy Dusty :wink:
1970 360 Sambar Van aka Stanley
1970 360 Sambar Truck aka Dirty
1970 360 Sedan - yet to be named.
1970 Subaru FF-1

books1
360 Master

#6 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder, .... <insert name here>. This looks like shaping up to be one interesting project, hope you post plenty of piccys - we LERVE piccys! The poor liddle beggar deserves a go at life, so many no starters! What a barn find - you will really enjoy the journey!

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#7 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club!
You definitely need the BOOK OF REPRINTS,
keep trying.
Once you get it on the road and out in the
West Texas wind, the dust will not collect as
fast :D

Ed Parsil in dusty Tucson AZ
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

gsla72

#8 Post by gsla72 »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm loving the site so far, and now that I've got the BOR things should be moving along much faster. I've started up a thread in the "My Restoration Project" section for anybody interested in following along. I'm thinking Dusty might be a pretty fitting name for this little guy now that you mention it...
Logan
1970 Subaru 360