Hello from Orlando, FL!

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

mljones4

Hello from Orlando, FL!

#1 Post by mljones4 »

I'm Melissa, and new to the group here, i don't currently have any 360s :cry: I've only recently become aware of them... Thankfully, to some TV show which had a 90s Sambar version on there, i googled the letters on the side "ECVT" and found the Subaru 360 Sambar! And I've been obsessed ever since... I really want a 360 van, bad! However, i'm a girl, and while i'm very handy "for a girl", I don't know anything about restoring cars, or even fixing the slightest thing on one. My father rebuilds classic car engines for a hobby (doesn't do body/upholstery)... but he's all the way across the country from me, now (in AZ).

I've already seen all the craigslist ads you guys posted about on here. And really like the orange van, but thought it was a bit steep of a price... then i read all your posts and think maybe it was even steeper than i thought! I saw the 1966 one in Vermillion/Cleveland for $5k and even without pictures thought it might be steep due to the description, but also was wondering if 1966 was street legal, as from what i've read, they only imported them in 69/70 for sale in US.

Anyway, i will be anxiously following the posts on here until i find the Sambar that's right for me... and then i'm sure i'll have a million questions.

In the meantime, if you guys have any advice or thoughts on what i should/shouldn't look for, or on the ads you've found... i'd be glad to hear experts' opinions!

Thanks,
Melissa

books1
360 Master

Re: Hello from Orlando, FL!

#2 Post by books1 »

G'day and welcome to the Club from downunder, Melissa!

You don't need to know anything about cars - just have the enthusiasm, patience and application - the various helpful folk on this list will help you through it every step of the way.

Cheers,

Ian

rogerbhp
360 Master

#3 Post by rogerbhp »

Hello, Melissa,

The first thing is for you to find someone in your area who has a van so you can see one up close and personal -- and drive it! You may be turned off .... or you may be even more hysterical to have one! (The latter, more likely.) Have you researched the membership to see if there's a van in the Orlando area? The membership roster is printed in the December issue of our newsletter. Get a copy and see if there's anyone near you.

The vans have some limitations (top speed = about 55, drum brakes instead of disc brakes, safety issues) but in some ways, they're fairly sophisticated (rack and pinion steering, automatic oil mixing, adjustable suspension). You need to drive one to see if they're right for you. If yes, then get your money available to make a quick purchase, as most vans are snapped up immediately. It's not a question of finding a good deal, it's a question of even finding a possible deal!

When and if you do find a suitable candidate, make sure it's as complete as possible, as original as possible, and with as little rust as possible. Although we have seen some parts reproduction recently, parts are still difficult to come by. The club members will help you as much as possible but the waters are fairly well fished out -- that's true for both vehicles and parts.

Welcome to an addiction!

LeeBuckman
360 Master

#4 Post by LeeBuckman »

Welcome Melissa. Think yourself lucky so far. I am in the UK where no vans or parts exist. Never seen a 360 here in the UK and am currently awaiting delivery of a project van from a club member on here.

I am excited to say the least ......

There are some fantastic people on here with an outstanding knowledge who go out of their way to help you so you will be in safe hands. I wish they had a one off lifetime subscription as I would sign up now.

Good luck on your search.

Lee

Subie Gal
Site Admin

#5 Post by Subie Gal »

Hi Melissa!

Welcome! :mrgreen:
If you find a car you're interested in, just share it with the group and we will guide you along.

Happy to have you here! :) can't wait to help you get started!

Jamie
1970 360 Sambar Van aka Stanley
1970 360 Sambar Truck aka Dirty
1970 360 Sedan - yet to be named.
1970 Subaru FF-1

Solomons
360 Newbie

#6 Post by Solomons »

Welcome! My 2 cents is that you don't have to have a deep background in cars to be able to work on a 360, largely thanks to the support of this group! I knew very little when I got mine, but all you have to be able to do is ask questions and follow directions and most things can be done reasonably well.

Good luck finding your next addiction!

mljones4

#7 Post by mljones4 »

LeeBuckman wrote:am currently awaiting delivery of a project van from a club member...
I saw that, Lee! I'm jealous! Congratulations!

mljones4

#8 Post by mljones4 »

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming! It's giving more confidence to be able to do this. I'm an electrical engineer, and like i said, my dad is a mechanic by hobby and a machinist before he retired, also knew plumbing and electrical work, he can pretty much do anything, so i grew up around him, not necessarily trained by him but i absorbed a lot and i do plenty around my house... just haven't tackled cars yet. But i'm thinking with your help (and possibly his), i can get take on a restoration project.

carlofsumner
360 Master

#9 Post by carlofsumner »

Ditto on what all before me said, welcome!
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

oldone
360 Master

#10 Post by oldone »

Welcome Melissa!! :D If you wait the van, I believe it will find you!! The little ones have a way doing that. With Dad s help & your mechanically inclined ability you should be fine, with the help from others that you will find here. :mrgreen:

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#11 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome, I do know of a van here in Wv. At least last year he still had it. The last time I talked to him. It is kind of a van in a box. He disassembled it to paint the body which he said had no rust. He had it painted but didn't like the color. So the project halted. It is supposed to be complete but disassembled. I'd be happy to go look at it for you. It's about an hour away from me.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

mljones4

#12 Post by mljones4 »

kjrcace360fan wrote:Welcome, I do know of a van here in Wv. At least last year he still had it. The last time I talked to him. It is kind of a van in a box. He disassembled it to paint the body which he said had no rust. He had it painted but didn't like the color. So the project halted. It is supposed to be complete but disassembled. I'd be happy to go look at it for you. It's about an hour away from me.
That sounds totally scary, but very tempting if it truly has no rust... i mean, you can't get better than that, right? I wonder exactly what "van in a box" means to him... like are all the axles and dash and everything completely off? is it totally just the shell?

I would appreciate it if you looked into it and find out if he still has it and is willing to sell it... and for how much... that would be great! I guess we can figure out the rest from there, once we have more information...

thanks!

rogerbhp
360 Master

#13 Post by rogerbhp »

Kevin and Melissa,

One thing to consider when buying a basket case is whether or not it includes all the appropriate fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) When I sold a basket case truck recently, I threw in a half dozen bottles holding thousands of fasteners that I had collected over twenty years. A basket case van is a daunting case challenge .... but one without adequate fasteners is even more so! Still, given the dearth of buildable vans, it's worth looking into!

books1
360 Master

#14 Post by books1 »

What Roger said, plus if you have the $$$, a basket case would be a great candidate for a bare metal restoration... if you want to go that deeply that is.

mljones4

#15 Post by mljones4 »

books1 wrote:What Roger said, plus if you have the $$$, a basket case would be a great candidate for a bare metal restoration... if you want to go that deeply that is.
Yes, good advice on the nuts/bolts/etc!

What does "bare metal restoration" mean?

books1
360 Master

#16 Post by books1 »

It means the most pedantic of restorations - down to bare metal, i.e.; all paint removed, panels properly panel beaten/rust removed, then the paint is applied from scratch, a la factory specs (or alternatively, whatever colour you decide). More often than not it means a restoration to original specs, but not always.

TONY
360 Master

#17 Post by TONY »

Welcome to the club ! What matters is that you want to make the best of it.. Thats great, wish we could see more of that in women. Let us all know what you need help with.. Good luck

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#18 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Melissa, I have news. Talked to Roy Lovejoy last evening, The good news is he'll consider selling it. Also he has been putting it back together. I'm still willing to go check it out/take pics if you need. Guess there is no bad news other than I didn't get a price out of him. He said he wouldn't be back in town till 5/18/15.
Last edited by kjrcace360fan 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

mljones4

#19 Post by mljones4 »

kjrcace360fan wrote:Melissa, I have news. Talked to Roy Lovejoy last evening, The good news is he'll consider selling it. Also he has been putting it back together. I'm still willing to go check it out/take pics if you need. Guess there is no bad news other than I didn't get a price out of him. He said he wouldn't be back in town till 5/18/15.

That is good news! I'm really excited to see it and curious about the price! I'm sure he knows that if it's all put together and so he can prove it's running, then that increases his sales price a bit... but if the body's in good shape like you described, and it's put together and at least running, i'm dying to see it! I would really appreciate you stopping by to see it and give me your opinion!
Last edited by mljones4 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#20 Post by kjrcace360fan »

After you and Roy talk, let me know if you need me to go look and I'll get in touch with him to arrange a time. Ps I edited the post and pmed you the contact info.

mljones4

#21 Post by mljones4 »

kjrcace360fan wrote:After you and Roy talk, let me know if you need me to go look and I'll get in touch with him to arrange a time. Ps I edited the post and pmed you the contact info.
Ok thanks! i'll call him next week when he's back then!

Billy Paul
360 Newbie

#22 Post by Billy Paul »

Melissa - I am in the Orlando area and have a 2 Subaru 360 Vans and a Truck. Happy to help you out with anything I can on getting your van roadworthy - just let me know! I sent you a PM with my direct e-mail and cell number if you want to talk live.

Good luck with your van!

Billy Paul
Billy Paul
MicroSouth