Greetings from Dallas!!!

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Subie4X90

Greetings from Dallas!!!

#1 Post by Subie4X90 »

hello to all,...glad to finally get to participate in the fun all the way from Dallas.

My quest to find one of these intoxicating beauties started in the parking lot of Northern Tools here in Dallas and ever since I laid eyes on a yellow sedan, my mind hasn't rested until I found one...........well, it ended up being two.

I was the brave one who bought the van and sedan from Ian in Oklahoma. Theyre in rough shape but I'm hoping to resurrect at least one of them, preferably the van, and will be depending on a lot of advise and sourcing of parts from you guys.

here's the van. It has quite several issues but at least the floor board is solid.....:)

Looking forward to having lots of fun........and frustrations!

Pete
* Buckle up and enjoy the ride *

chipfxr
360 Newbie

Re: Greetings from Dallas!!!

#2 Post by chipfxr »

:) Welcome aboard Pete, You are sure to find members on this forum willing to help out with finding parts and answering your questions.
Thanks for the pictures of the Van. Yes, you will have high and low moments with any 360's but hopefully you will enjoy your project.
Do you have pictures of the sedan? Members like to see ALL pictures of these fascinating little vehicles!

Ron

Subie4X90

#3 Post by Subie4X90 »

Thanks, Ron!

Here's little Fiona....

rogerbhp
360 Master

#4 Post by rogerbhp »

Hi, Pete,The only real advice I have for you is: whether or not you can afford it, when a piece shows up that you need, buy it! There's nothing more frustrating than having to live without a steering wheel, or a brake lens, or a body panel .... especially when you saw one on ebay just a few weeks ago. There's not much that will interchange between your van and sedan so, unless money is no object, you should pick one of your cars and build it first (the van is obviously a candidate for #1.) Building two different models of the 360 at one time will probably prove too taxing and expensive. Good luck!

oldone
360 Master

#5 Post by oldone »

Hello Pete from another Okie, know the sedan & van well. I was able to help Mark ( flatfourforever) get the sedan running. Motor sounded really good, then he sold them to Ian. Met & talked to Ian about a swap of pop top westie that I have for the sedan, van & pickup body he had, we never got the deal done. Glad to see them going to a new home & hopefully back on the road. If you saw a Subbie a Northern tools, you must be around the 121 area /north dallas?? Nice Arbuckle mountain pics. Wish we knew you were coming through Norman we could have meet. Welcome aboard.
Last edited by oldone 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Garm
360 Master

#6 Post by Garm »

welcome. Listen to Roger, that was great advice.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#7 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Roger makes good sense, But I'm a glutten. I have a 360 Young 98% restored, needs dent removal, paint and Interior. Interior is in process. Paint not yet. I also have a 360 Dune Buggy. 98% there, Old restoration paint but very good still needs touch up with brakes and getting it running to be done. One truck Waiting on tail lights, reverse light lense, motor work wiring, tie rod replacement, brakes interior, paint, windshield, patch rust holes just a few but is't almost all there. One 360 deluxe called Hippie here on the forum and here at home. Use the search above for Hippie you'll get a laugh. It is well sorted mechanically. The brakes need redone and needs paint but it runs like the wind and stops due to the wind. It has some rust issues but it is a great 360. It wont take long once it enters the lineup. Then theres the three oops 4 parts cars. Or 4 parts of cars all 1970 360s one is a Young I call spot. Use the search you'll see why. I rescued the good parts in the 9th hour before it was sent to be crushed. Or wasted 500 bucks. Anyway I'll help all I can just let me know. And welcome to the madness.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

Subie4X90

#8 Post by Subie4X90 »

rogerbhp wrote:Hi, Pete,The only real advice I have for you is: whether or not you can afford it, when a piece shows up that you need, buy it! There's nothing more frustrating than having to live without a steering wheel, or a brake lens, or a body panel .... especially when you saw one on ebay just a few weeks ago. There's not much that will interchange between your van and sedan so, unless money is no object, you should pick one of your cars and build it first (the van is obviously a candidate for #1.) Building two different models of the 360 at one time will probably prove too taxing and expensive. Good luck!

Roger, thanks for the sound advice and encouragement. I'll definitely concentrate more of my resources on the van but I was hoping to get the sedan running just to have fun with it as well. The floor board is like swiss cheese on the sedan so I was thinking of just fiberglassing it. I'll leave the body as is. I have to make me a to-do list on both vehicles just to give me an idea what to look for and also determine if I should leave the sedan alone and just concentrate on the van.

Subie4X90

#9 Post by Subie4X90 »

Oldone, thanks for the welcome, and yes, Ian mentioned you as the 360 guru in these neck of the woods. Too bad my daughter moved from Norman to Tulsa area just last year,.....would have been convenient and a welcome detour to your place each time I visited her. I'd still like to make a trip to Norman one of these days to meet you and pick your brains on these little cuties.

Anyways, the sedan engine ran when I picked it up but now I have fuel dripping from the carb into the air filter. I haven't had any luck restarting it. I read the thread from another member (Solomon) with the same problem. I hope my issue is not as involved as his.

Thanks again and hope to meet you someday soon.

Subie4X90

#10 Post by Subie4X90 »

Micro Image wrote:welcome. Listen to Roger, that was great advice.
Thanks, Garm!
I'll definitely heed Roger ' s advice since I'm finding myself gravitating to the van more than the sedan.

Subie4X90

#11 Post by Subie4X90 »

Kevin, thanks for making me feel better as you can imagine my girlfriend's reaction when I told her the Saturday night after picking up the sedan that I needed to go back to OK City the following day to pick up the van. Thank goodness she's learned to tolerate my quirks through the years.

I don't plan on matching your collection, but then again, you never know where this addiction takes me... LOL!

oldone
360 Master

#12 Post by oldone »

Subie4X90 wrote:Oldone, thanks for the welcome, and yes, Ian mentioned you as the 360 guru in these neck of the woods. Too bad my daughter moved from Norman to Tulsa area just last year,.....would have been convenient and a welcome detour to your place each time I visited her. I'd still like to make a trip to Norman one of these days to meet you and pick your brains on these little cuties.

Anyways, the sedan engine ran when I picked it up but now I have fuel dripping from the carb into the air filter. I haven't had any luck restarting it. I read the thread from another member (Solomon) with the same problem. I hope my issue is not as involved as his.

Thanks again and hope to meet you someday soon.
The sedan had a Nissan float in the carb should still have three washers under the needle & seat. Mark was running off a make shift fuel tank. Could be some crud in the needle & seat???? I'm still easy to get to on the way to T town. I'm about a mile & quarter east of I 35 & Indian hills road easy off & on.
P.S. Ed & Roger are the guru's, I'm just an old school knuckle buster.
Last edited by oldone 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#13 Post by Sigmaz »

As a Subaru 360 owner, the biggest thing to do is never get discouraged and quit the hobby.

Most car enthusiasts are used to the high availability of parts and the vast aftermarket support that's out there.

There is a reason that there are more 360's on lifts and stands for years at a clip.. rare or no parts.

Unless you have a heavy wallet and the best of luck you are in for the long haul. This ain't gonna happen overnight.

If you've got a place to keep them and tinker every now and again while waiting for that missing piece(s) I say keep this in mind.

Take your time, do it right, don't lose hope because you will find that piece you want albeit maybe not today and most likely at a premium.

We'll be here for you to lean on when you feel like giving up coaxing you to keep up the good fight.

...and welcome !

:D
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

carlofsumner
360 Master

#14 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome aboard from the Northwest, Pete. Can't give any more sage advice than you have already gotten. I have a "sedan in progress". I want a van but until I get this project done it is not likely. Keep the faith.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

Garm
360 Master

#15 Post by Garm »

I love that you made TWO trips to get the cars. Bravo!

A couple of tips for best success on the forums here.

1. Post pictures of everything.
2. See #1.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#16 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club, we are here to help

Ed Parsil in Tucson AZ
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Subie4X90

#17 Post by Subie4X90 »

carlofsumner wrote:Welcome aboard from the Northwest, Pete. Can't give any more sage advice than you have already gotten. I have a "sedan in progress". I want a van but until I get this project done it is not likely. Keep the faith.

Thanks, Carl!
I wish I can get both of them going overnight but......oh well!
They say patience is a virtue but I'm chomping on the bits to hop on one of these and go cruising around White Rock Lake,
which is a popular destination for cyclist and joggers here in Dallas.

Subie4X90

#18 Post by Subie4X90 »

Micro Image wrote:I love that you made TWO trips to get the cars. Bravo!

A couple of tips for best success on the forums here.

1. Post pictures of everything.
2. See #1.

Garm, I only had planned on getting the van but when Ian showed me the sedan and started the engine, I was hooked even as rough as the body is.... He he

Definitely will post some more pics especially after hosing the sedan INSIDE and out to get all the dirt and crud out. :lol:

Subie4X90

#19 Post by Subie4X90 »

subaru360nut wrote:Welcome to The Club, we are here to help

Ed Parsil in Tucson AZ

Thank you, Ed!

I'll definitely be needing your help.

Pete

books1
360 Master

#20 Post by books1 »

A true enthusiast in the making!

Welcome to the Club from downunder... from "another" Ian, Pete!

Garm
360 Master

#21 Post by Garm »

The water from the hose will drain faster if you roll the car over on its side. :lol:

Subie4X90

#22 Post by Subie4X90 »

Great suggestion but she didn't need being tipped over as the floor board is holier than the Pope.

Garm
360 Master

#23 Post by Garm »

I just got "4X90". Duh me.

Subie4X90

#24 Post by Subie4X90 »

books1 wrote:A true enthusiast in the making!

Welcome to the Club from downunder... from "another" Ian, Pete!
Thank you, Ian!