New member from New Zealand with 360 Sedan project

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Sherry

New member from New Zealand with 360 Sedan project

#1 Post by Sherry »

Hi everyone my name is Sherry Wiggins my husband (Rusty) and I are just starting to restore a subaru 360 sedan. We are from down under New Zealand. We don't have many of them over here so joining the club seemed like a great idea to get some helpful information and to talk to people who also love these little cars. We are not sure of the year of the car yet as the car has no rego papers. It doesn't have a glass back window is that how they all came out? Also are bumpers a problem to get our ones are buggered. Look forward to hearing from other enthusiasts. Cheers Sherry
Last edited by Sherry 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

ogiebendogie
360 Master

Re: New member

#2 Post by ogiebendogie »

Welcome! Posting some picture will help decipher what you have. the bumpers can be straightened and re-chromed. There is a very active Ausi member who may be able to recommend sources in your part of the world. You are in the right place though for help. Don
Currently:
Yellow 360 van, "Yoshi"

Past:
1972 MGB, 1959 Goggomobil TS400 Coupe, 1990 Legacy, 1997 Outback

carlofsumner
360 Master

#3 Post by carlofsumner »

Sherry:

Welcome aboard! You have a neighbor just across the channel and down the street from you in Perth. He will chime in in a little while and tell you all about 360s that are turned upside down. He has a lot of connections in Japan as well. Members here in the North American part of the club are willing to help as well. Make sure to ask all the questions hou want and read all the posts on this board as you will find may of your questions have already beenasked AND answered. Joining this online group is good but make sure you join the 360 Club and get the BOR Book of Reprints which has mannnny interesting and helpful articles.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#4 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome, Lets see what you have. I'll help all I can.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

oldone
360 Master

#5 Post by oldone »

Sherry & Rusty, Welcome to to club!! We do like pics??? You can count on the members here to help sort the sedan out, & you have some closer help :? Ian in Perth :mrgreen: :

Garm
360 Master

#6 Post by Garm »

welcome to the club, mates!

Sherry

#7 Post by Sherry »

Thanks for the communication already much appreciated. I am having a few problems attaching a photo of our unrestored beast will keep trying though. Cheers Sherry

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#8 Post by 2stroketurbo »

awesome ! New Zealand ? wow. I spent some fun time there back in the 90's backpacking on my Mountain bike. Where part are you from? I wonder if you may have a Japanese RHD 1968 360 or 450 with a plastic rear window
ImageImageImage

Sherry

#9 Post by Sherry »

We are in Pukekohe which is 40 minutes out of Auckland, North Island. The car is RH drive, and going by the numbers on the body I think it is possibly 1968. We have a passion for small cars and have already restored a BMW Isetta, Bambina Station Wagon, Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S. We both felt the Subaru would fit in there nicely. Once I master the downloading photos I will put some up of the Subaru. Besides the one we are restoring we have got four donor bodies and engines in bits but they are not pretty!!

Velecasa
360 Master

#10 Post by Velecasa »

Welcome :) !!!!

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#11 Post by 2stroketurbo »

4 donor bodies? Were Subaru 360's common in New Zealand ? There is a picture posting tutorial here someplace if you are having trouble. You know we'd like to see your beauties !
ImageImageImage

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#12 Post by 2stroketurbo »

ImageImageImage

books1
360 Master

Re: New member from New Zealand with 360 Sedan project

#13 Post by books1 »

Gdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay and welcome to the Club - from just over the pond, Sherry and Rusty!

Ian in Perth, Western Australia here. I have rellies in Christchurch and surrounds, but have never been to the Land of the Long White Cloud (maybe in the future!).

It will be very interesting to see what you have - NZ had some very unusual versions of many, MANY marques over the years, some never seen in Oz.

Anyhoo, please pm me if I can be of any assistance, although parts-wise I am of no help really, as I have only the amount necessary to rebuild my own liddle Subie. Meanwhile, this Club should possibly be your first stop (I don't know what your postal arrangements with USA are, but it's almost as expensive as posting from Japan here in Perth), after that, it's Japan.

Awaiting your piccies..... but meanwhile, here's some from Thames, New Zealand that a friend took a year or two ago - just to whet your appetite..... (parts source perhaps?)

Cheers,

Ian

Sherry

#14 Post by Sherry »

Thanks Ian I am sure you will be helpful. We have some of those bodies from Thames as donors. What a hard case you posting those photos the blue one in front is in our garage!! Ours is a subaru 360 Deluxe with a EK32 engine number. The upholstery in all the cars (donors included) are dark blue with white on the door panels. We will be going back to bare metal restoration. Hope to have photos up soon. The steering wheel is interesting. Cheers Sherry

ogiebendogie
360 Master

#15 Post by ogiebendogie »

Here are pictures of Sherry and Rusty's sedan posted on their behalf:

Currently:
Yellow 360 van, "Yoshi"

Past:

oldone
360 Master

#16 Post by oldone »

Nice solid looking project!! :D New to me, :shock: steering wheel & the rear emblem ????

ogiebendogie
360 Master

#17 Post by ogiebendogie »

The steering wheel looks like '68 or earlier. There should be a date of manufacture by the VIN number.
Currently:
Yellow 360 van, "Yoshi"

Past:

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#18 Post by Sigmaz »

Yeah, that's a pre 68.
It should have square switches an mirrors as well.
Let's get a look at the shifter it may be an Overtop with the secondary shift lever.
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

Garm
360 Master

#19 Post by Garm »

might even have white switches those are so sweet.

Sherry

#20 Post by Sherry »

All I have number wise is a chassis and engine number no vin!!

oldone
360 Master

#21 Post by oldone »

Sherry. I think the chassis # is the same as the VIN # . Could you post a pic of the gearshift area on the tunnel, as it might have the high/ low shift lever by the gear lever????

books1
360 Master

#22 Post by books1 »

Yeah, VIN's weren't really around yet in those days - it was only chassis and engine numbers - that description came in later on.

Sherry

#23 Post by Sherry »

Ian have you seen a steering wheel like that in Australia. Also did you have any inroads on new bumpers ours are not pretty.

books1
360 Master

#24 Post by books1 »

Sherry wrote:Ian have you seen a steering wheel like that in Australia. Also did you have any inroads on new bumpers ours are not pretty.
No, sorry Sherry - I'm nigh on useless when it comes to parts. Over here in Western Australia I'm pretty isolated from any other Subaru 360 owners (the original very small lot of imports came in through Ballarat in Victoria in 1961 and over recent years I've been trying to maintain a pseudo-"Register" of all Aussie vehicles past and present. There's only around half a dozen on it so far!). The closest other Sube 360s to me are not 360s, but 450s - the "Maia" variant produced for the Japanese export only market. I'll have to get my "Maia" brochure out to checkout what sort of steering wheel they had.