Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

garenrose
360 Newbie

New to the Club and new project!

#1 Post by garenrose »

Hi Guys,

My name is Garen from Simi Valley, CA

I Just joined this group recently as I bought a 360 Young S car last month. Many of you probably saw it listed on e-bay and other sites.
Couldn't resist getting it. I'm a DYI also and like working on car projects. Never seen so much effort put into this car to save weight.
Even the Z06 (had a 08' model) engineers can learn more from this car.
This 360 hasn't run since 03' according to the last owner. But it does turn over by hand.

I'm starting with the brakes first. There wasn't one drop of brake fluid in the whole system. I read the BOR and some posts here
and ordered the wheel cylinder parts and the cup for the master cylinder. I noticed the MC is thinly brass sleeved. Is this original? The wheel cylinders
are mostly pit free somehow. Anyone ever use DOT 5 fluid? I have had good luck on other non ABS cars with it.
Also should I put in those Axle seals and fan seal I saw posted? I freed up the E-brake and all the other cables. Does anyone make those E-brake
cables? Also got new boots and those small rubber collars that goes on the back side of the axle bearing housing. On that part if I slide it
over that metal flange on the bearing housing, it squeals as I turn the axle. Should I grease it or just not push it up on the flange - see pic.

Looking forward to see others with their 360's

Thanks guys

Garen
Attachments
DSC05553.JPG
DSC05554.JPG
Ebay pic7.jpg
Ebay pic7.jpg (119.75 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
Ebay pic5.jpg
Ebay pic5.jpg (123.52 KiB) Viewed 8845 times
Ebay pic.jpg
Ebay pic.jpg (107.43 KiB) Viewed 8845 times

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

Re: New to the Club and new project!

#2 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome! Another Young! I really have no guidance to give on that. I'd say grease it but I have no experience with this part. As I understand it the metal part it is going up against is stationary, is that correct? The rubber pc is somewhat a slinger and a seal. If anything gets on the rubber part it slings it off and it doesn't get under the lip and into the bearings. My 2 cents. You didn't happen to get any extra Young parts like a gear shift knob.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#3 Post by 2stroketurbo »

garenrose wrote:Hi Guys,

My name is Garen from Simi Valley, CA

I Just joined this group recently as I bought a 360 Young S car last month. Many of you probably saw it listed on e-bay and other sites.
Couldn't resist getting it. I'm a DYI also and like working on car projects. Never seen so much effort put into this car to save weight.
Even the Z06 (had a 08' model) engineers can learn more from this car.
This 360 hasn't run since 03' according to the last owner. But it does turn over by hand.

I'm starting with the brakes first. There wasn't one drop of brake fluid in the whole system. I read the BOR and some posts here
and ordered the wheel cylinder parts and the cup for the master cylinder. I noticed the MC is thinly brass sleeved. Is this original? The wheel cylinders
are mostly pit free somehow. Anyone ever use DOT 5 fluid? I have had good luck on other non ABS cars with it.
Also should I put in those Axle seals and fan seal I saw posted? I freed up the E-brake and all the other cables. Does anyone make those E-brake
cables? Also got new boots and those small rubber collars that goes on the back side of the axle bearing housing. On that part if I slide it
over that metal flange on the bearing housing, it squeals as I turn the axle. Should I grease it or just not push it up on the flange - see pic.

Looking forward to see others with their 360's

Thanks guys

Garen

Resistance is futile ! 360's will someday rule the earth , welcome to the club !
ImageImageImage

ogiebendogie
360 Master

#4 Post by ogiebendogie »

Welcome!
The brass sleeving is not original.
I have used DOT 5 in the past and plan to on my 360
The only replacement for the e-brake cable is a motorcycle clutch cable viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4783
I am replacing my seals to avoid trouble later

Don
Currently:
Yellow 360 van, "Yoshi"

Past:
1972 MGB, 1959 Goggomobil TS400 Coupe, 1990 Legacy, 1997 Outback

garenrose
360 Newbie

#5 Post by garenrose »

Thanks for the replies. I probably Q-Tip a little grease on that flange end and see what happens.
DOT 5 fluid is paint friendly which is good for these cars. I guess when I get it going,
I will see what leaks, or if the axle seals leaks and fix it later.

Garen

Garm
360 Master

#6 Post by Garm »

I'm using regular brake fluid. I change my fluid out about once a year, and have never had trouble with it.

rogerbhp
360 Master

#7 Post by rogerbhp »

I'm running two trucks: one on DOT 3 and one on DOT 5. No problem with either one, so far. You probably know that they cannot be mixed; just be sure to completely evacuate your brake system before putting in the DOT 5.

oldone
360 Master

#8 Post by oldone »

I use Dot 5 also as it's paint friendly, That's why the floor is rusted out under the master cylinder on a lot of swdans.l
OOPS!! Forgot to say welcome to the club,& that's a nice looking Young S.

books1
360 Master

#9 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder, Garen. This is where it's all at!
Lovely Young S there. You'll be needing door seals too by the look of it....

Cheers,

Ian

garenrose
360 Newbie

#10 Post by garenrose »

I think there is someone out there selling the door and back side window weather stripping. Will look into it after I get the primary stuff going. Car is solid though not been out in someones field. The brakes are very nasty though. Working on that now.

Has anyone modified the seat tracks so the seat can go back further? I'm only 5' 9" and this is the first car with seats that won't go back far enough for me.
Like a VW, there seems to be more room in the back.

Garm
360 Master

#11 Post by Garm »

I'm pretty sure you can move the seat back a little past the track. I seem to remember a trick with my sedan that got me an extra inch without modifying anything.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#12 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club!

If you will e-mail me the VIN from your Young
I will get it on the master list and if it is
already there I can tell you who and where
the previous owner(s) were.

Ed Parsil in Tucson AZ
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!