New Member from Laurel Md.

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

microcarbuff

New Member from Laurel Md.

#1 Post by microcarbuff »

Hello! :D I'm am a new member from Laurel Maryland. I just purchased a 1970 Subie Sambar Van( Needing full resto) and I am currently waiting on shipement from Ill. Can't wait to get it here and start on it. I'm sure I will be looking for input and parts and I here from some good sources that this is the best place to find practically every thing needed for my endeavor. I have a feeling that I will be needing some of the glass on the side windows however the windshield and front doors as well as the rear lid has it. I would welcome some input on a list of some of the hard parts to find. I have been reading some of the BOR and I am very thankfull to have access such a valuable resource.

Microcarbuff

oldone
360 Master

Re: New Member from Laurel Md.

#2 Post by oldone »

Welcome aboard. :) Great group here to help answer ? s, and tell you there is no parts :lol: :lol: :lol: Well maybe some.

carlofsumner
360 Master

#3 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome to the 360 family. You will find all the help you need here. Parts are scarce but you will get the help you need finding them, if they are available. Great to see another van saved.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#4 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club, we exist to help one another keep
(or get) our Favorite Vehicles on the road and running
on BOTH cylinders.

I have a bunch of mechanical and chassis parts, can mail
you an 8-pg list if you e-mail me your full name and
address.

I still drive the van everyday that we bought in Feb. 1975.
Have also owned, restored and driven a bunch of other
360s.

Ed Parsil in Tucson.
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#5 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome just ask we'll help all we can.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

books1
360 Master

#6 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder!

This is indeed the best place for parts and advice..... as long as you have high tolerance for lame one-liners and odd photos from time to time.... :D

Garm
360 Master

#7 Post by Garm »

Welcome to Crazyland, the happiest place on earth with less than three cylinders.

Velecasa
360 Master

#8 Post by Velecasa »

Welcome to The club

Is this The white van on eBay ?

Vans are super cool !!!!

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#9 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Micro Image wrote:Welcome to Crazyland, the happiest place on earth with less than three cylinders.

I'm afraid he is right. ^ Welcome to the club! We will help all we can with all we've got. That's the best you going to get. :lol:
ImageImageImage

microcarbuff

#10 Post by microcarbuff »

Yes, this is the last one that was on E Bay. It didn't meet the reserve and the auction ended. Since I was the high bidder the seller contacted me with a counter offer and I countered again then he accepted. I paid a little more than I wanted to but I have wanted one for as long as I can remember and I had a little cash so I jumped on it. It looks rough, but it was chock full of parts. The seller said he had three of them at one point, this was the last one and he never really inventoried what parts he had in it Now I have the shipping up on the U-Ship sight to see what kind of bargain I might get there. That is the sight that A&E uses for there show "Shipping Wars". I guess it's possible that it could be on one of there episodes."Never know" it could happen. I could care less either way I'm just trying to save pennies!!!! I'm going to need all I can get for the resto!
I got it for the wife!
I have a 1960 Vespa that I drive around from time to time but if I try to go any distance I have to get the wife to follow me "Vespa's aren't very reliable" I have heard said that they were called "the least reliable car ever built" Back in the day.
I also have a 1958 Gogo limo 400 that needs a full resto. All of this in a one car garage.( the gogo is hanging from the ceiling and I park the front of Vespa under the rear of the gogo) It's pretty tight in there!
Rob, (microcarbuff)

Velecasa
360 Master

#11 Post by Velecasa »

Cool I talked to that guy and yeah he said he sold the other two for over 9,000

And didn't want to budge on price glad u were able to get a deal cause vans a hard to find

Steven

microcarbuff

#12 Post by microcarbuff »

The Buy it now price was 3,500.00. My first offer was 1,500.00 considering the condition and at the time I thought that might be high. The wife thought I was crazy for offering that. His reserve was 3,000.00 and that was never met.There were a couple of bids and as you my know, if you really want something you just "Annie up". Well I stopped at 2,500.00 and promised the wife that I wouldn't go any further. A couple of days after the auction ended "Steve" ( the seller) came back at me with 2,800.00 and wouldn't come down any further which I can understand. He knew that it was probably worth 3,000.00 in parts alone as he runs a car shop and a used parts business. After a little shmooozing,"Buttering up the wife", she <ALLOWED> me to get it. So making an attempt to get it shipped as cheaply as possible I put it up on U-Ship and I am now waiting on the results which will be on Saturday a little after 12:00. The anticipation is killing me. Now I got to find somewhere to put it untill I can free up space. I'm thinking on selling the Vespa 400.

Rob

oldone
360 Master

#13 Post by oldone »

Ok, I'll be first,how about Pics of the Vespa?? Right guy's.

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#14 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Hi Rob
I'm surprised your Vespa 400 has not been reliable for you, but then, I watched the fella with the white one drive his all over. My Vespa VW is dead nuts reliable, however it is not stock. I actually wanted to put it back to stock.

ImageImageImage

microcarbuff

#15 Post by microcarbuff »

The biggest problem with the Vespa Engine is the Crank is 3 piece bolt together. When trying to remove either the flywheel or the front pulley you can't hold one end to loosten the other or you will twist the crank and re alignment isn't easy. The other is the stock pistons, they have intake ports on them and the bottom bridge on the skirt cracks and the bridge falls down into the crank case locking the engine and usually damaging it beyond repair. I have the newer Pistons from Larry in it now.Correction, I have a rebuilt engine from Larry in there. The engine that was in it when I baught it had the original pistons. After hearing the horror stories I got some of the new ones from Larry and had the cyls bored to match. I put an electronic ignition in it and it ran great for several yrs.the crank bearings started making noise at the Cape' May Meet 3 yrs. back so I swapped an old engine I had with a re-built from Larry.
I put that one in just in Time for the Cape' May meet 2 yrs. ago and while breaking it in that one locked up the night before I was supposed to leave.(One of the copper Spacer washers on the Connecting Rod "Big End" shattered and a piece lodged in the crank case) I swapped back to Niosey old trusty and made the meet. Larry swapped it out for yet another engine and that is what is in it now. Now I'm kind of scared to drive it. Still have trusty though to fall back on if needed.

Rob

microcarbuff

#16 Post by microcarbuff »

The guy with the white one is Kevin George. He "USED" to drive that thing everywhere < no matter how far >.
Unfortunately, Last year I believe some tourest drove up next to him trying to take pictures and swerved forcing him off of the road and he rolled and totaled it. He almost got killed himself Fortunately he was only bunged up a little but I heard the car wasn't salvageable.