The fastest 360 in the wurllllllld, hailing from Chicago.

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Crabspirits

The fastest 360 in the wurllllllld, hailing from Chicago.

#1 Post by Crabspirits »

Greetings,

My name is Brian. Some of you may have bought parts from me. I have a battered 69' sedan that was supposed to run in the 24 Hours Of Lemons series. Only the body shell is original. It's powered by a CBR954RR sportbike engine (150hp/75 ftlbs), and has 2 transmissions. Suspension is Geo Metro front ends, mounted to custom subframes front and rear. Unfortunately, when the car was 90% completion, they changed the rulebook and outlawed cars under 82" wheelbase. So now, I'm finishing the car up for street use (yes, it has plates), and I will lightly restore it.

I'll make a more detailed post about it later on. For now, here's a video.

oldone
360 Master

Re: The fastest 360 in the wurllllllld, hailing from Chicago

#2 Post by oldone »

Brian! Welcome! Bummer on the rule change, they used to do that to Porsche at Indy at the last minute! I used your sedan engine in Smokeys HD engine build, look up the post in Engine / Power train & see if it looks the same?? :)

Crabspirits

#3 Post by Crabspirits »

That's some seriously respectable detailed stuff.
Looks like the motor went to a good home! I got a shower of putrid oil out of the plug wells as thanks for my efforts to get it to run after sitting since the 80's. Probably some sort of baptism around here I bet.

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#4 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Crabspirits wrote:Greetings,

My name is Brian. Some of you may have bought parts from me. I have a battered 69' sedan that was supposed to run in the 24 Hours Of Lemons series. Only the body shell is original. It's powered by a CBR954RR sportbike engine (150hp/75 ftlbs), and has 2 transmissions. Suspension is Geo Metro front ends, mounted to custom subframes front and rear. Unfortunately, when the car was 90% completion, they changed the rulebook and outlawed cars under 82" wheelbase. So now, I'm finishing the car up for street use (yes, it has plates), and I will lightly restore it.

I'll make a more detailed post about it later on. For now, here's a video.

This is pure awesome!. I heard or ran across your car on another forum. Welcome to the club!. Can you post more details of the GEO Front suspension and how you linked the bike engine to the other tranny / clutch?
ImageImageImage

books1
360 Master

#5 Post by books1 »

Anyone seen Speedoman? :|

Tony_S

#6 Post by Tony_S »

You have to share the details of the mechanicals with us!

carlofsumner
360 Master

#8 Post by carlofsumner »

Welcome to the club! A 360 is a 360 except when it's not. But yours still looks like one at least.
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#9 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Crabspirits wrote:viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3898

Any idea on front shock / spring rate ID you used? I see you picked thru a box of returns. I'm stuck on mine. 75lb coil over Baja shocks are not going to cut it for me.

I need something but not sure what.
400 lbs on front axle estimated

ImageImageImage

Crabspirits

#10 Post by Crabspirits »

Hmm, 400lbs is going to be awfully stiff on the front of a 360. I used a spring and a 1/3rd on top of each other to get 400lbs in the rear.

Yes, I had the unique problem with this car of finding 2.5" ID springs with a rate LOW enough. Stance makes lower rated springs, but they are low by being longer, so not an option. They could have custom ordered a set, but I wasn't interested in spending money. My solution was to grind the outside of the coils to effectively decrease the wire diameter.

Ended up with 250lb springs when tested.

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#11 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Crabspirits wrote:Hmm, 400lbs is going to be awfully stiff on the front of a 360. I used a spring and a 1/3rd on top of each other to get 400lbs in the rear.

Yes, I had the unique problem with this car of finding 2.5" ID springs with a rate LOW enough. Stance makes lower rated springs, but they are low by being longer, so not an option. They could have custom ordered a set, but I wasn't interested in spending money. My solution was to grind the outside of the coils to effectively decrease the wire diameter.

Ended up with 250lb springs when tested.

Ahhh. cool idea to shave the coils. I've set my 360 Mustang 2 front up for coilovers with shock eyes on ends which limits my choices more. dang. These shocks are what I though would be the silver bullet. They are way joucy-bouncy, will not support the car and are made pretty cheap, luckily they were really cheap

ImageImageImage

Crabspirits

#12 Post by Crabspirits »

You should look at OEM rear suspension from sportbikes on Ebay. They have similar mounting, and are compact. Nice, high-quality, adjustable damping. Although the springs may be super stiff because of the weight motion of a motorcycle swingarm. At least they are cheap. I think I sold mine for $5 or something.