New Member in Ventura, California

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

New Member in Ventura, California

#1 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Hey Everyone!

My name is Kyle Ciopryna, and my wife Gena and recently purchased a 360 van. I am an active duty Navy Seabee. My job takes me all over the world, but I was born and raised in East Haven, CT and my wife is from Sylmar, CA. We will be stationed in Ventura, California for the next three years so that is home now!

We are proud owners of a 1969 Subaru 360 Van. We got it for $2,000.00 and it looks relatively clean given its age. It was garage kept by previous owners and has spent its life in Southern California. I am looking to restore it from the frame up, and going with a nice, subtle, beach cruiser style. It is stored in my father-in-law's garage and has all the original glass and two engines (lots of parts)! Not sure if I want to put a larger engine in it yet or not, open to ideas!

I think this website is an asset for any 360 owner, it will make my entire re-build exponentially easier. I am sure I will have lots of questions though, so looking forward to meeting everyone and making some friends in the process. Thanks a lot!
"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

carlofsumner
360 Master

Re: New Member in Ventura, California

#2 Post by carlofsumner »

Kyle:

Welcome to the club, from the Great Northwest (Washington). You will find several Van owners in SoCal who are waiting to help you. I own a sedan I'm refurbishing so I can't help you much. This group is here to give you whatever assistance you need so ask away. From a former Army grunt, thanks for your service.

CDJ
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#3 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome to the club. Can't wait to see some pics and if I can help please ask.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

oldone
360 Master

#4 Post by oldone »

Kyle & Gena Welcome to the club! I'm in Norman Okla. Sounds like a really good find!!!! Of course Pics, we like pics??? Wayne

StevenM
360 Master

#5 Post by StevenM »

Welcome to the club! Yes, please post some pictures when you can. Just use the "if you wish to attach a file" box below the area that you type in. Two engines - that's terrific - you never know when you'll find your "main" power unit is missing some crucial bit. Don't ask me how I know...

Steve

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#6 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

More pictures will be posted for sure, but right now this is all I have! I am stationed down in Gulfport, Mississippi for about four months and won't get to set eyes on my new toy until June (I will have owned the van for a 8 months by then! I purchased it off of Ebay while stationed in Italy.) I would love to get a good inventory on all the parts that I have sitting in boxes (that came with the car), but I know there are two engines; not sure of the condition. The car is almost rust free though- so thats a solid start. Want to get it off the frame and go from there, do it right. This is my first re-build, so I am really excited.
Attachments
First (and only) picture. Many more to follow!
First (and only) picture. Many more to follow!
534719_412563482144885_983748626_n.jpg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 27548 times
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

oldone
360 Master

#7 Post by oldone »

Wow!! All of a sudden we have some really nice vans cropping up!!! If the rest of its looks like the pic,thats a real find !!! How did I miss that one on ebay????

rogerbhp
360 Master

#8 Post by rogerbhp »

Kyle,

As a long time 360 nut, I feel an obligation to help out newbies whenever I can. The bad news is that there are dozens of 360 vans in SoCal; most of them are partial restos which the owners have given up on: too much money spent on the project and no availability of parts. The good news is that you don't need to be among that group, as I'm willing to step up and help you out .... and you can walk away with $500 in your pocket! Yes, I know it's a generous offer but that's just the kind of guy I am! Please PM me the address where the van is stored. As soon as it is safe in my garage, I'll get a check out to you. (No, no, don't thank me. I enjoy being helpful.)

Roger

books1
360 Master

#9 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder, Kyle and Gena!

Nice looking wheels, would you have a chassis and engine number for Ed?

Cheers,

Ian

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#10 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome to the club. You snuck under the radar ! < military term there :lol: Your van is HOT-HOT-HOT .....in high demand ! being nice and straight and (cheap). You did right, and came to the right place.
ImageImageImage

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#11 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

books1 wrote:Welcome to the Club from downunder, Kyle and Gena!

Cheers,

Ian

Sorry Ian- no chassis/ engine number yet. I have not even had a chance to set eyes on this little van myself! I don't want to send my father-in-law searching around for it just yet, but I will mention it to him. Could you tell me where to find them?

Also, if anyone has any van parts (for sale) that are commonly in need of replacement (hoses, gaskets, belts, etc) I would be interested. I don't have an inventory of what parts I have yet (the van came with a few boxes worth of parts and two engines). I do know I need emblems though.... You guys are all great!

Kyle
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#12 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club, I have been driving the
same 1970 360 van for 38 years, still drive
it every day and it has never failed me!

Yours looks good, Falcon whee covers and all!

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

books1
360 Master

#13 Post by books1 »

Kyle_Ciopryna wrote:

Cheers,

Ian
Sorry Ian- no chassis/ engine number yet. I have not even had a chance to set eyes on this little van myself! I don't want to send my father-in-law searching around for it just yet, but I will mention it to him. Could you tell me where to find them?
(...)Kyle
Sorry! Have never clapped eyes on a van or truck ("in the flesh"), only my one lonely little sedan down here, along with two Aussie "Maia"s (Subaru 450 - the Japanese export version, with the EK-51 423cc engine), so cannot help you there. But fear not! Our intrepid gang over in your neck of the woods/your side of the pond have many vans and trucks between them. Help is at hand! :D

books1
360 Master

#14 Post by books1 »

Soo... - what's the latest, Kyle and Gena?

rogerbhp
360 Master

#15 Post by rogerbhp »

Kyle,

The next time you're in my area (Arcadia), send me a PM and stop by. Right now, I have two vans (both visiting), two trucks (both mine, one restored) and another truck (mine, disassembled.) If you need him, I have a mobile mechanic who goes on-site to work on 360s; I guess he would come to Ventura.

Roger

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#16 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Hey Guys and Gals,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get in touch with everyone. Things have been very busy since my arrival back in California from my last duty station. Between getting moved into a house, checked-in to my new command, preparing for deployment, and now moving once again before I deploy- let just say I haven't had any time to work on my van.

I got it moved to a storage unit though, and had a good look at it. I believe I have all the glass, and its in good shape. The body is very straight and it looks like the whole van is rust free! The drop-down gate that hides the smallest engine I have ever seen is a little beat up, so I am going to keep an eye open for a new one of them. It looks like I only have one seat, not sure if its front or rear... I do have two engines, I believe one runs and one doesn't. Either way though, it is a lot of parts. I don't have any emblems, mirrors, or wipers.

I am leaning towards the installation of a larger engine, rear-end, and breaking system so that I can drive the van a little farther, and faster. Unfortunately the van is in storage by my house until I return home from deployment (around March 2014). I will have e-mail when I leave and will keep in touch with everyone. I am going to be working on buying interior, trim, and moulding for the van so that the parts are on-hand when I return. I would love to meet up with you Roger, and your mechanic would probably be able to provide a lot of useful insight!
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#17 Post by subaru360nut »

Kyle - welcome to The Club! Still drive the 1970 360 van
every day that we bought in Feb. 1975, only change to
the engine is 8.5:1 heads. Totally reliable!

Good luck with yours!

Ed Parsil in Tucson AZ
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

books1
360 Master

#18 Post by books1 »

Kyle_Ciopryna wrote:Hey Guys and Gals,

(...)The drop-down gate that hides the smallest engine I have ever seen (...)
Nah, dat's nuffin!

See here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topi ... -guys.html
Last edited by books1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#19 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Hello again everyone!

I hope you have all had a great Christmas and have an excellent new-year as well! Great job on the newsletter, I always look forward to what will be in it. I am nearing the end to my six month deployment away from home and hope to be back in Southern California with my wife, little dog, and little van by late February. So, that all being said- I am itching to get back home and begin the restoration of my van. I figure the best thing to do is start taking it apart, figure out what I have and that will give me a clue as to what I still need? I have two engines, one is supposed to run. We all know how that can be though. Also have another, almost complete engine for parts. All my glass in intact, and I read about the new weather strip so I will have to get my hands on that to get the glass back in after I work on the body and paint.

As experienced owners, drivers of 360's, and being the restoration savvy people you all are- any advice, good places to start, parts that you know I will probably need to buy? I want to start getting a jump on things now (if possible) and have the van on the road soon as I can. I am looking for any parts for a van (especially interior and trim) so if you know of any please, PLEASE PM me or send me an email at kyleciopryna@gmail.com

Thanks again everyone, and have a wonderful new year!

Kyle
Attachments
Resized Van.jpg
Resized Van.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 26789 times
Waiting patiently for me to come home!
Waiting patiently for me to come home!
PART_1372255608329_20130623_082048.jpg.jpeg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 26789 times
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

books1
360 Master

#20 Post by books1 »

Right on, Kyle.

If I had bothered to do a complete inventory 35 years ago, I would not have had to pay the enormous prices I've had to pay on Yahoo Japan Auctions for some of those essential parts. Mind you, in my defence I must add that there was no Internet at the time and I was fully convinced that I had a very interesting, but useless boat anchor in my back garden! Also, the expensive parts are purely the "Young SS-specific" parts, or those that are not common to the standard 360 (or in the case of the fuel tank, where else would I get the chance to obtain a brand new one?) - and I was also not earning very much anyway in those days.

There's always circumstances, isn't there!

(If you haven't ordered one of those rear tailgate latches, I reckon you might as well, given what I've read on these forums)

Good luck with those New Year resolutions!

Cheers,

Ian

Velecasa
360 Master

#21 Post by Velecasa »

Welcome and congrats looking for a van myself and they're slim picking
Or they want a ridicules amounts

And lately I've been a day late when call the just sold it or decided to keep it :(

Steve

P.s. Thanks for you service

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#22 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Velecasa wrote:Welcome and congrats looking for a van myself and they're slim picking
Or they want a ridicules amounts

And lately I've been a day late when call the just sold it or decided to keep it :(

Steve

P.s. Thanks for you service
Keep your chin up Steve! I am sure you will find one soon. I paid about $2,000.00 for mine on E-bay, found it right in California. They are around, just keep your ear to the ground. If you ever get bored, I'm in Ventura so you can always come up and help me with my re-build! ;)

P.S. You are very welcome!
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

rogerbhp
360 Master

#23 Post by rogerbhp »

Kyle, before buying any parts, you're be well advised to:
(1st) Go out and spend hours completely familiarizing yourself with your van. Write down every question that comes to mind and make a list of the parts you think you'll need.
(2nd) Go visit someone (or several someones) who have a van and pick their brains about parts availability and restoration procedures. Garm in Woodland Hills comes to mind .... or me in Arcadia.
Good luck with your project and thanks for your service.

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#24 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

rogerbhp wrote:Kyle, before buying any parts, you're be well advised to:
(1st) Go out and spend hours completely familiarizing yourself with your van. Write down every question that comes to mind and make a list of the parts you think you'll need.
(2nd) Go visit someone (or several someones) who have a van and pick their brains about parts availability and restoration procedures. Garm in Woodland Hills comes to mind .... or me in Arcadia.
Good luck with your project and thanks for your service.
Roger-

Thanks for the invitation to check out your van and pick your brain. I will absolutely take your advice and take you up on the offer to visit when I return in a few months! Are the rear tailgate latches you have something you would recommend me replacing? I saw in a message above yours that I should, just wondering...

-Kyle
Attachments
PART_1372255608910_20130623_082012.jpg.jpeg
PART_1372255608910_20130623_082012.jpg.jpeg (45.03 KiB) Viewed 26769 times
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

rogerbhp
360 Master

#25 Post by rogerbhp »

Kyle,
The NOS hinges I have (not latches) are those pictured on your van, just above the holes where the tail lights go. If yours are good, then I would not replace them. Knowing if they need replacement is part of getting to know your van and what the condition is of each component. Until you really know your van, I would not be buying any parts for it -- unless you know you really need 'em. There's almost nothing available anyway, so I say to wait until you see what you need before you start buying up stuff.
Roger

Garm
360 Master

#26 Post by Garm »

ha, I need to come see you again Roger!

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#27 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

SO-

After over buying my van in late 2012 I have traveled from Italy to Mississippi, drove over 3,000 miles across our own beautiful country, and deployed to the South Pacific- BUT I AM FINALLY HOME! The best thing about being home is I am finally with my family again, but right behind them is my little Subaru Van waiting for me in the garage!

I am stationed down in Oxnard, California and anyone available to meet up with and talk to would be greatly appreciated. As I said before, two engines (one should be working). I am going to start with the mechanical side of the house, body work, paint, and interior are not my first priority. I was considering putting a slightly larger engine in it, because I am concerned about the vans ability to climb hills and how well it will get around on the freeways. I just don't want to have to rebuild the van around the engine, and I'm afraid I would have to with a larger motorcycle engine. How much more power can you milk out of the stock motor?

Thanks guys!!!

-Kyle
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

rogerbhp
360 Master

#28 Post by rogerbhp »

In general, I think it's a mistake to swap out engines in the 360. If your engine is properly tuned and set up, you should be able to get around OK (although it will always be a problem to pull that long hill going into Camarillo.) There's a guy near me who was just finishing up installing a Yamaha in his sedan because he wanted more power. If you're determined to do an engine swap, you could check with him to see how he came out (but what would you do about reverse gear?) If I had to choose between a bigger engine and better brakes, I'd choose brakes! Being able to stop is a good thing.

Garm
360 Master

#29 Post by Garm »

I'm in Canoga Park, I have a van and a truck. You are welcome to visit my shop anytime. Welcome home! :)

oldone
360 Master

#30 Post by oldone »

I have to agree with Roger, an engine swap I think would kill a nice van. Shave the heads .060 more or less with your local fuel,match the ports, bump the timing? larger main jet & enjoy driving a piece of history.Doing that will get you there & back & keep a smile on your face. But brakes first, engine 2nd & do them right as Garm just did on his truck. I don't drive Smokey on the interstates here, as the gravel haulers & 18 wheeler's have their own 75 to 85 mph Gran Prix's going on in the middle of the cellphoners & texters riding off your left rear quarter, pacing you out of the corner of their eye. Just an old guy's view on enjoying a micro car. If I wanted to go fast I'll drive something else.

Small rant :oops:
Its not how fast you get there, but enjoying the process of the journey. :wink:

books1
360 Master

#31 Post by books1 »

Hey Kyle,

Why not run the van with standard motor for a while before deciding to upsize?

- a lot of the fun isn't in going fast, it's the sound of the engine, the scenery, the equally enthusiastic pals (and dogs of course) you share it with.....

Cheers,

Ian

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#32 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Great input!

I only considered the upgrade because this engine is SO tiny! But that is half the character of the vehicle as you guys said- so I will work with what I have. I am sure it will not disappoint :D I think I would love to upgrade the engine, but keep in original.

There is a car show at the NHRA Museum in Pamona, CA this Saturday:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/2014-Sou ... 2775103922

Hope to see some of you guys there, I am looking forward to meeting some of the club and learning about my van!
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

Garm
360 Master

#33 Post by Garm »

I know I will be there, Roger, and Ed the founder of the Club will be visiting minus his van, and hopefully more.

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#34 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Great! Looking forward to seeing you guys, should be a lot of fun :D
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

Velecasa
360 Master

#35 Post by Velecasa »

I will be there

Steve OC Ca.

Kyle_Ciopryna
360 Newbie

#36 Post by Kyle_Ciopryna »

Cheers,

Ian
Finally had some time to look over my van- here are the vehicle numbers:

Chassis Number: K163L 5634
Engine Number: EK32-814770

Also- does anyone have a rear seat for a van :D
-RR

1969 Subaru 360 Van

rogerbhp
360 Master

#37 Post by rogerbhp »

Correct rear seats for a van are hard to find -- but not impossible. If you can't find an original, there are any number of other rear seats you can use. Just go to your local Pick-A-Part and get out your tape measure.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#38 Post by subaru360nut »

Kyle - Welcome to The Club!

Saw a lot of Club people at Pomona, hope you were one of them!

If not come to Tucson next Apriol 10-12 for the 35th event
in the longest-running series of Little Car meets in the US!

Just come anyway, at my age every time I meet somebody it
is like the first time :shock:

Ed

Garm
360 Master

#39 Post by Garm »

I've got Tucson on my calendar for next year!

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#40 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Kyle_Ciopryna wrote:Great input!

I only considered the upgrade because this engine is SO tiny! But that is half the character of the vehicle as you guys said- so I will work with what I have. I am sure it will not disappoint :D I think I would love to upgrade the engine, but keep in original.

!
case in point

ImageImageImage

oldone
360 Master

#41 Post by oldone »

Micro Image wrote:I've got Tucson on my calendar for next year!
I'll put one on a trailer & be there TOO! Is anyone going to Nashville???? Cali has some rules about trailers I can't handle,55 is to slow as my 84 930 tag says.

books1
360 Master

#42 Post by books1 »

2stroketurbo wrote:
Kyle_Ciopryna wrote:Great input!

!
case in point

(video)
I LOVE removable mods! You get the best of both Worlds then!