Wannabe 360 owner

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Kentobeanz

Wannabe 360 owner

#1 Post by Kentobeanz »

Hi gang,

New guy chiming in from Alaska.

I started autocrossing in 1995 and got the bug for road racing in 2003. I work in road construction, and our short construction window makes for extremely busy summers and leaves very little time to road race or autocross. Last year I sold my Neon, which was one of the 20 original Neon Challenge cars, and for the first time in a long time I have nothing to race. Fortunately our local ice racing program has picked up again in the last few years, so I'm on the hunt for an ice racer. Due to the limited grip on ice, the most important criteria is low weight. I definitely want something under 1500 pounds, and a weight bias over the driven wheels is a huge plus. I was thinking CRX, Metro, or classic Mini for a while, but I had an M3 a few years ago that spoiled me and I really don't want front wheel drive again. Lots of ideas floating around, but I've decided I want a 360. Goofy looks and uber lightweight!

So, after I sell some of the stuff I've collected over the years, I'll be on the hunt for a relatively rust-free 360 sedan. It won't need to run, I'll be putting a snowmobile engine in it for more power. It won't need interior, I would be gutting it anyway. If I find a complete car, there will be a lot of parts available for sale because all I really need is the body, preferably with the fiberglass roof. I have a few other mildly warped ideas on how I want to build it, but the eventual goal is to make a scary-fast ice racer that can handle rallycross duties as well.

I'm usually not very active on forums and tend to lurk, but I look forward to getting to know the group and helping out where I can.
Kent
That guy from Alaska

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

Re: Wannabe 360 owner

#2 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome, I think the two will go well together since the 360 is powered by a snowmobile engine originally. I have often thought the comet clutch would greatly reduce the drag on the motor compared to the transmission, I always get stuck on how to back it up with no reverse.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#3 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Wow. What a cool Quest. May need to install a Moose catcher on the front.... :lol: Good thing there are lots of restorable Sedans out there, you shoudn't have trouble finding a good candidate.
ImageImageImage

Kentobeanz

#4 Post by Kentobeanz »

Thanks. Reverse is actually pretty easy. SkiDoo has been using an electronic reverse since about 2004 that still uses the CVT clutches. You hit a button, and the motor starts spinning backwards. No extra gearing, and it only adds a few ounces to the overall weight.
That guy from Alaska

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#5 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club, Alaska Guy.

When I lived in NJ in the 70s I was on a volunteer First Aid and Rescue Squad, we
answered calls from home and met at the HQ where the ambulances and
Crash Truck were kept.

Ordinarily I could make it to the HQ in about 90 seconds, and there would already
be 2 or 3 other members who lived closer. In the winter, on snow, I would get
there first because my Subaru 360 sedan had better traction than their Fords
and Buicks. 8)

My familiarity with 2-strokers helped, and they always depended on me to
start the 2-stroke engine for the Jaws of Life when it was needed.

If you put a Polaris snowmobile engine in it at least it will still be all-Fuji!

See P. 3 and 29 in the Book of Reprints, Vol. 2

Ed Parsil, Tucson AZ
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#6 Post by 2stroketurbo »

How much power does a Ski Doo or Polaris snowmobile engine have?
ImageImageImage

drrishi1
360 Fanatic

#7 Post by drrishi1 »

Polaris for model year 2013 re-thought how it could be better. The company’s engineers got the 800 Pro-RMK weight down to 417 pounds. They innovated its final drive for efficiency and simplicity by providing Quick Drive, the industry’s first production belt drive. The 150-plus horsepower Cleanfire 800cc two-stroke twin continues to power the RMK, but now it will have an improved power-to-weight ratio without adding an extra rev or cubic centimeter of displacement.
"The best things in life....are not things"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=tn_tnmn

Kentobeanz

#8 Post by Kentobeanz »

Most of the 800cc class is over 150hp now, and the 600s are even in the 130-140 range. I never felt comfortable on Polaris sleds, so I never really thought about them. The All-Fuji angle is an interesting one.

Truthfully, I was thinking Yamaha Apex four stroke. The Mountain Apex is a big pig at around 700 pounds so its stock clutching would be closer to what I'd eventually need, and the broad torque curve would make clutch tuning a lot simpler with the extra weight of a small car. Our local riding terrain is not that great for the heavy Yamaha lineup so their resale value tanks. Plus, their motors respond REALLY well to turbocharging. You know, because 150hp in a 1000lb car just won't be enough.
That guy from Alaska

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#9 Post by subaru360nut »

With that much power going to the back wheels they will spin even on dry
pavement, forget on snow :shock:

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Kentobeanz

#10 Post by Kentobeanz »

subaru360nut wrote:With that much power going to the back wheels they will spin even on dry
pavement, forget on snow :shock:

Ed
Not with tires like these:

:twisted:

Our Super Stud class is nearly unlimited, and the top tires have around 1000 screws in each one. Attendance has been down, and everybody seems to say "I'm not bringing mine out unless so-and-so does." I drove an IT prepped Integra on super studs in February, and it didn't have anywhere near enough power. When the ice is swept clean it's like driving on tight gravel with good rally tires. The other superstud car broke, so I went out and played with the Rubber-to-Ice cars.

Blizzaks are great, but severely outclassed by roofing screws.
That guy from Alaska

carlofsumner
360 Master

#11 Post by carlofsumner »

That was a cool ride, but next time please move the camera so that I don't have your rear view mirror obstructing my view, I almost ran into three people because of it! :lol:
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#12 Post by 2stroketurbo »

You inniolated the non stud cars, wow. You sure you want RWD?
ImageImageImage

books1
360 Master

#13 Post by books1 »

Brrrrrrrr.... it's approaching winter down here!

(nice drive!) :mrgreen:

Kentobeanz

#14 Post by Kentobeanz »

Thanks. It was actually pretty warm that day at around 25*F. At one of our January races the temps were hovering around -27 to -25F. Not a fun day to flag corners.

As long as the engine is over the drive wheels, I'm not sure it matters that much whether it's FWD or RWD. Ultimately I would like AWD, but there are very few AWD cars that are under 2000lb and capable of decent power. I briefly though about building an AWD CRX using the Civic Wagovan 4wd system, and you can even buy a Honda powered AWD kit for a classic Mini. The Mini kit is expensive, and for the d16 in the CRX you almost have to choose between big power or usable power. I have a hunch that a snowmobile powered 360 could be made to go faster on ice and dirt anyway. Plus, now that SCCA has created a separate class for the Modified RWD cars, even the tightest courses would seem huge to a super narrow 360. They make CRXs look huge.

Quick questions about the 360 chassis: Behind the rear seat, is the firewall a bolted panel or is it a welded part of the unibody? And same question for the front bulkhead ahead of the driver's feet.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling welcome already.
That guy from Alaska

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#15 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Front and rear firewalls are fixed to the monocock body, rear has two acess panels
ImageImageImage

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#16 Post by kjrcace360fan »

What would your budget be for a 360 shell, no motor / trans and in need of glass. I know of one a guy had about a year ago. Not sure on the rust issues. The building it was in burned down but it only suffered some damage from heat, paint blistered in a couple areas. I was looking for engine parts at the time and he was selling stuff off it on ebay so I'm not sure how much is left. I can check though. Obviously shipping will be ... my guess... 1500 -2500. He told me he would take 1200 for the two he had before he started selling parts. I was able to get one shipped from AZ to WV for 800.00 and one from Idaho to WV for 925.

Kentobeanz

#17 Post by Kentobeanz »

Budget would be up to $2k, and flexible depending on what all is sellable on the car. I emailed the guy who had the shell in Spokane a few months ago for $450, and although a rust-free shell is all I really wanted, it was pretty hammered. Every body panel needed attention, and there was a red car in Mesa for only $2k at the same time, and it would be a MUCH better starting point than fixing every body panel. I would have bought the Mesa car, but I couldn't quite swing it.

Transportation isn't too bad. My brother has an El Camino in Phoenix that we'll go get later this fall, and it would be nothing to throw a 360 on a snowmachine trailer behind it. With that in mind, I'd prefer to find something on the West coast.
That guy from Alaska

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#18 Post by kjrcace360fan »

I thought it was a long shot but I thought I'd offer. I only know of 8 - 360's in West Virginia, 1 is a van, the rest are sedans, 4 of which are mine. One of my parts cars is body cancer challenged, the other parts car evidently has been rolled but has very little rust. Hippie is a good 50 footer but has rust issues mostly caused by moisture under body filler. It lacks the ability to stop in any reasonable time but some of the wheel cylinders are working. Spud is my best one, he has very little rust, just surface from scratches but has several small dents. He runs and above all he still stops.

Before I die I'd like to see all four on the road. It may happen, It may not. I may have to resort to pushing them all to the road and taking a picture. :lol:

Anyway I'm very interested in your idea to power one with a snowmobile engine. From what I've read they are making incredible power for the area they take up. If Subaru would have went the harley direction and made the transmission seperate, it would be much easier to adapt a snow mobile engine. I'm thinking a three cylinder water cooled 360 would be a hoot. If you made an undercarriage to bolt the transmission to and machined the case to clear the snowmobile engine's case you could run a chain drive to the imput shaft of the transmission. Or if the new engine operated at high RPM you could do the comet clutch type thing onto the transmission input shaft and maybe get all the way to 30mph before shifting out of first. Then again putting a lot of HP through this transmission most likely would be a bad idea.

Kentobeanz

#19 Post by Kentobeanz »

My hunt is on. I'll post up in the Wanted section too, but I'm officially on the lookout for a 360 sedan. My brother is planning his trip to Phoenix for October, so finding one in Arizona would be perfect.
That guy from Alaska

oldone
360 Master

#20 Post by oldone »

Hi Is the Flybynight club & Alsakian Bush club still around??? Was in Ancorage in 85 & 86 doing the Alcan 5000 rally. The road (Alcan Highway) & the logging roads were a ton of fun. I understand Alcan is all paved now?? Some of the best scenery & people in the world. Wayne

Kentobeanz

#21 Post by Kentobeanz »

Hi Wayne,

The Great Alaskan Bush Company is still going strong, and has branched out to Phoenix too! Mr. Whitekeys closed the Fly By Night Club a few years ago, but he's still around and does commentary on the nightly news once in a while.

The Alcan is paved now, except the parts that are under construction, and there's always some part of it under construction. Over the last 20-30 years the road has evolved from a truly challenging feat to just a really really really long drive.

K
That guy from Alaska

oldone
360 Master

#22 Post by oldone »

Kentobeanz wrote:Hi Wayne,

The Great Alaskan Bush Company is still going strong, and has branched out to Phoenix too! Mr. Whitekeys closed the Fly By Night Club a few years ago, but he's still around and does commentary on the nightly news once in a while.

The Alcan is paved now, except the parts that are under construction, and there's always some part of it under construction. Over the last 20-30 years the road has evolved from a truly challenging feat to just a really really really long drive.

K
Great menu at the Fly By Night Club, anything you wanted, right??? Was that Mr Whitekeys wife, who was a dead ringer for M M in a red one piece bathing suit & did the Alaskan strip show???? They both did a great show that I still smile when I think about it. Also there is a sedan & van in Texas i spotted but can't find the owner, old building with a high fencearoud it and no one around knows anything about them Except this weird guy shows up maybe 1 or 2 times a year, will ck next time I go by Wayne

oldone
360 Master

#23 Post by oldone »

Kentobeanz wrote:Hi Wayne,

K
My Dad helped biuld the Alcan in the 40s. They came in behind the army and made a real ?? road bed. He died when I was seven but I have a ton of pics he took & recognized some of the old road bed while doing the rally. in 85 we went up through Mayo to Inuvick then Dawson & Chicken on the top of the world highway. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Wayne Ps 3 Audi Quattro's having our own party AFTER a stage went thru the Yukon ck point a 85 to 95 mph at full left lock 1 2 3 & I have not been back that way !!!

Kentobeanz

#24 Post by Kentobeanz »

Hi Gang,

Since I've been off the forum for so long I figured I'd bring my intro post back up. I made it back to Alaska with my 360 a couple of years ago, and then got sidetracked with family and work.

Well, I finally got the car into the garage and started taking it apart to turn it into an ice racer. I'll be starting a new build thread in the restoration section once I get a little deeper in, but the Clif's Notes version would include references to Hayabusa, BMW, Porsche 911 Turbo, and either Civic/Miata or Can-Am Maverick.

And I'll also be adding a post in the for-sale section with parts I remove as I strip down the car.

- Kent
That guy from Alaska

books1
360 Master

#25 Post by books1 »

Crikey - the forum takes three and a half years to appear up there in Alaska! Slower than Wayne's pedal-powered Internet!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(good to have you back on board)

Preciador6
360 Master

#26 Post by Preciador6 »

Great idea with the snow mobile engine...i might just take apart that no rust sedan i have and sell you the body let me know when your ready :D

Kentobeanz

#27 Post by Kentobeanz »

Preciador6 wrote:Great idea with the snow mobile engine...i might just take apart that no rust sedan i have and sell you the body let me know when your ready :D

I'll be driving to Colorado in April to pick up my caged BMW, and I could pick it up! California isn't much of a detour when the main trip is already 7000 miles!
That guy from Alaska

Kentobeanz

#28 Post by Kentobeanz »

books1 wrote:Crikey - the forum takes three and a half years to appear up there in Alaska! Slower than Wayne's pedal-powered Internet!

Haha, pedal-powered? Nah, ours is newer than that. I've got a kick start.
That guy from Alaska

books1
360 Master

#29 Post by books1 »

Kentobeanz wrote:
books1 wrote:Crikey - the forum takes three and a half years to appear up there in Alaska! Slower than Wayne's pedal-powered Internet!

Haha, pedal-powered? Nah, ours is newer than that. I've got a kick start.
Hey Wayne - that Guy from Alaska has kick start Internet! :lol: :lol: