From Indianapolis,In. Hello everybody

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

bestillnknow

From Indianapolis,In. Hello everybody

#1 Post by bestillnknow »

I was actually trying to find a small electric vehicle from the 60's - 70's for my wife when I came across the microcar websites. I immediately fell in love with the history and the vehicles that incorporate these types of mini cars. They are a masterful piece of engineering and artwork blended together. I just happened to be looking at my favorite reading material for the weekend (Indiana Auto RV) when I came across an ad for a 1970 Subaru 360. I had no idea what it was but it sure looked cute. I drove two hrs. to pick it up in the pouring down rain, stuck it on a trailer and headed back to Indy. My wife fell in love with the car when she came home from work and saw it. The body and interior appear to be in pretty good shape. The mechanical end of it is a different story. No brakes, needs major tune-up, shifts extremely hard and has a clunk when you take off. I didn't do the research before buying and just assumed parts would be easily available, what a shock! I'm very thankful I found out about the 360 club and the help you can get from its members. Looking forward to talking and getting to know all of you. Lyall and Barb :)

rogerbhp
360 Master

Re: From Indianapolis,In. Hello everybody

#2 Post by rogerbhp »

Welcome to the club !! Parts are always a struggle .... but you'll work it out. Good luck with your 360 !! (Pics??)

bestillnknow

#3 Post by bestillnknow »

Thanks Roger,am working on how to post pictures

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#4 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome!,.... they say, "misery loves company"....Here you'll find a tad of that, but,.... when you get your 360 going you'll expirience PURE Joy-Joy-Joy ...and want to share it with Everybody!. Good times ahead.
ImageImageImage

books1
360 Master

#5 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from downunder, Lyall and Barb! You see? We had them even over this side of the pond! (Unfortunately, equally difficult to get parts, but hey! - just look at that cute liddle smile on the Subie.. and everything's ok again... hehe).

Cheers,

Ian

oldone
360 Master

#6 Post by oldone »

Hi & welcome! The highs & lows of taking care of a 360 are far out weighted by the highs! I belong to serveral microcar clubs, but this one is the most fun loving & sharring groups you will find! wayne

books1
360 Master

#7 Post by books1 »

oldone wrote:Hi & welcome! The highs & lows of taking care of a 360 are far out weighted by the highs! I belong to serveral microcar clubs, but this one is the most fun loving & sharring groups you will find! wayne
I think it's like the old saying that owners look like their dogs (or vice-versa) - look at that smile on the face of the Subie, and you've got the Driver's Club! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I reckon we should have a smiley that is a Subie smile!

Hehehe

books1
360 Master

#8 Post by books1 »

StevenM
360 Master

#9 Post by StevenM »

Welcome! Did someone give you the link to the BOR yet? Between using that as a reference, sorting through the 1000s of posts here, and of course asking questions here as you go through your car, all will become clear...

Steve

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

scoobie360
360 Fanatic

#10 Post by scoobie360 »

Welcome!! I'm a newbie myself and let me tell you without the help of the Subaru 360 club and all of the advice of gotten and parts I'll received from a few members it would literally be impossible to restore a 360! I thank my lucky stars the Subaru 360 club exists!! My van is coming together so well because of these guys..and gals:) And also I have tons of sedan parts if you need anything!

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#11 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome, an impulse 360 buy, That's certainly not unheard of but many of us have not been so fortunate. "Decent interior and it runs with a clunk" To a lot of us your way ahead already. With the club, your elbo grease and some good advice you'll be loving it soon.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

bestillnknow

#12 Post by bestillnknow »

Thanks for the welcome comments, I can tell already that there our some cool people in this club. I love a good sense of humor. Thanks Steve for the other site info and I am starting to sort through the book of reprints and past forums. I'm glad that the 360 got exported to other places besides the US. Ian. I appreciate the parts offer Scoobie360, and speaking of parts, If someone can help me with a new dist. cap, rotor, points, one clip for side of dist. cap, (someone has a piece of wire holding one side on), master brake rebuild kit, wheel cylinder rebuild kits, and all four brake pads, or do you have to take them in to get relined? Am also missing the front emblem.if someone has a spare lying around. Appreciate any help. Lyall

books1
360 Master

#13 Post by books1 »

Hi Lyall,

You may also be interested in the Pertronix electronic ignition for the Subie - see this topic for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=949&p=15600&hilit= ... 580#p15600

You'd need to find out if Steve (stevec) has any stock left if you are interested,

Cheers,

Ian

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#14 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to The Club!

The Book of Reprints answers 95+% of all the questions I get.

If you have a problem that isn't answered there (use the Index) e-mail me.

Still driving our 360 van every day after nearly 37 years and over 350,000 miles on it and other 360s we have owned.

Ed Parsil, Tucson AZ
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Subie Gal
Site Admin

#15 Post by Subie Gal »

Welcome to the club!

Great to have you here :D

Jamie
1970 360 Sambar Van aka Stanley
1970 360 Sambar Truck aka Dirty
1970 360 Sedan - yet to be named.
1970 Subaru FF-1

bestillnknow

#16 Post by bestillnknow »

Thanks Ian for heads up on ignition, and Ed for the help if needed if can't find info when I start looking at the reprints available,it appears that you are the Jedi master when it comes to the 360. Jamie, I think its really cool that you race Subarus, something I would like to try someday. But will be happy right now to get mine going. Thanks again for help! Lyall :)

books1
360 Master

#17 Post by books1 »

(Ed is Obi-Wan)

:D