Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

fastchicken

#1 Post by fastchicken »

Hello to everybody!
My name is Jan Hennen, I am a journalist from Germany and 56 years old. I am a big fan of automobiles, motorsport and historic motorsports.
Three years ago I saw the participants of the Liège-Brescia-Liège event in Karlsruhe. There has been three Subaru 360 in that rally and that started my interest for these nice cars.
First of all I bought some plastic kits to build a slot racing Subaru 360 to race it in the "Kampf der Zwerge" (Fight of the dwarfs?) in 1:24 scale. I will post some photos when it will be ready.
This year I saw a very nice blue Subaru during the Schloss Dyck Classic Days, this is the car of our new member LeonM from the Netherlands and this was the ultimate kick for me: I want to get such a nice Subaru 360 for me in original size!
My first questions: Are there any activities from the Subaru360Club also in Europe, especially in Germany? I would like to get contact to other Subaru 360 owners.
Does anybody know a Subaru 360 sedan or coach for sale? I would prefer a restored and nearly ready to drive car, because I have not enough time for working for years to restore an old one.

Hope to hear from some of you soon, best wishes from Germany,
Jan

rogerbhp
360 Master

Re: New Member

#2 Post by rogerbhp »

Hello, Jan,
Welcome to the Club!! If you do get a Subaru 360, it won't be easy restoring/maintaining it (as you'll be a rarity in Germany), but it can be done! The club members are as helpful as they can be. Parts are always difficult but there's a lot of expertise available thru the club on how to make things work.

If you have not yet joined the club, I suggest that you do so. That will open up possible new sources for a vehicle and parts for you. The most recent club roster shows that we have other members in Germany (Stefan and Freya Rosan), as well as members in the Netherlands (Lars and Anne Benthem as well as Leon Meijers), France (Mark Oremland), and Norway (Line Fossum.) If you do find a car in this country and wish to buy it sight unseen, you can probably find a club member here who will go check out the car for you. I suggest that whenever you find a car, try to make it the "right" car: get the most complete, functioning car possible, regardless of price. Because of your relative isolation, everything will be hard for you: parts, mechanics, etc will be difficult .... but it can be done!

My ex-wife's parents came from Karlsruhe. Many years ago, we visited her extended family there and had the time of our lives! One of her cousins went with us for a two week tour of Germany (to translate and act as a guide for us.) Although I've been to Europe many times since, the trip to Germany was particularly memorable .... and fun.

Best wishes on finding the right car .... and welcome!

Kanzen-Henkei
360 Master

#3 Post by Kanzen-Henkei »

Welcome to the club. I don't have any answers to your questions but I will trade you my 360 sedan for an vintage NSU TTS. :D

LOL, There are a few members in europe. One guy is from the Netherlands (I think) who imported a 360 from Japan last year I believe.
Semper Fidelis,
Jorge Lopez R, Cathedral City, CA

Own: '69 360 Sambar, '70 360 Sedan, '71 1300G FF-1 (Shell)
Wanted: Subaru FF-1 1000, 1100 or 1300G, Parts Car or Parts. 360 Van Side Vent, Pedal Access Panel, Rear Bench & Head Rests.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#4 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome to the Club! I would suggest you contact the Rosans and also check out the car shows in your area, also if there is a hobby publication in Germany similar to Hemmings Motor News in the US you could try running an ad in it. That's how I made contact with the first 2 dozen other Subaru 360 drivers I found in the US, back in the '70s, who became the first members of the Club when we organized it in 1979.

Ed Parsil, Tucson AZ USA
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#5 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Welcome,
I just found a very good Young in Idaho and It took about a year to get the deal made and shipped to me in WV. That was just across the US. It is nice to have one in good shape. I now have three others on the fourth is on its way come monday. One parts car suffers from rust issues. One has some slight rust issues (Hippie) and serious paint problems, the one I'm waiting to see has been in an accident but has mild rust problems and serious bad body work in places. Then theres Spud, My prized 360. Both spud and Hippie run and stop, Spud stops when asked, Hippie has to think about it a while. I hope to get spud back in top form first then Hippie then Take the best of the two parts cars to finish one more mostly original 360 then with whats left I hope to make a convertible out of the last one. It will have to donate some of it's roof steel to the one coming from arizona to replace some bad body work. I am considering making a fiberglass roof for this one too. If I can help Let me know. We do now have pistons for these babies.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

fastchicken

#6 Post by fastchicken »

Hi friends,

many thanks for the very warm welcome to the club. I will go on for searching a 360 with the help of some friends who are specialized in japanese cars like Walter and Joachim Frey from Augsburg, who are owning the biggest collection of Mazdas and especially Wankel-engined aircrafts, boats, snowmobiles, bikes and of course cars.

I will let you know when there will be some news.

Best wishes to all of you
Jan

Garm
360 Master

#7 Post by Garm »

I'm late -- but welcome to the Club!

oldone
360 Master

#8 Post by oldone »

put me in for being late also! welcome to the club!!!hope you find a 360 quickly. wayne

books1
360 Master

#9 Post by books1 »

If I were any later, you'd be leaving!

Greetings from downunder, welcome to the Club!

fastchicken

#10 Post by fastchicken »

Hi,
today I bought a white 360 Sedan from Australia. There is another 360 Custom and another 360 for spare parts in Ebay Australia.
Does anybody know these cars?
Perhaps books1?
Best wishes
Jan

oldone
360 Master

#11 Post by oldone »

wow!! you are a fast chicken!! :D

Garm
360 Master

#12 Post by Garm »

is Germany also right hand drive?

oldone
360 Master

#13 Post by oldone »

germany is left hand drive. have driven in germany, maybe the best drivers i have had the pleasure to drive with. i've only driven in a few countries UK ,france, switzerland,austria, canada,& germany. hope to add to the list.

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#14 Post by kjrcace360fan »

The autobahn? Always dreamed of driving without restriction. One of the motivations of owning a 360. Can't wait do drive it all out!!! I've had an 06 STI since it was new and for 75000 miles I've been holding my foot up for most of the time. It's cool just to drop the hammer an not worry about Barney! Barney pulled me over once when I was dodging a pot hole, I never crossed the center line just used the emergency lane for a short dodge. He was coming toward me on a 2 lane bridge and turned in the middle of the bridge just to pull me over. Now who was making the biggest interruption to traffic flow? He checked my crap and it was all good. He let me go which was cool but what crap pile reason to pull someone over.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#15 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Wow! Hi and welcome. The fellow who ran his 1968 Subaru 360 in the LBL rally last year has contacted me through You Tube. He wants more power from his 3 speed equipped 360 and I've been advising him on expansion chamber contruction. Normally I reside on the West coast in OR. this past week I've been on the Eastern shore in Wa. DC and missed the start of this thread......
ImageImageImage

books1
360 Master

#16 Post by books1 »

fastchicken wrote:Hi,
today I bought a white 360 Sedan from Australia. There is another 360 Custom and another 360 for spare parts in Ebay Australia.
Does anybody know these cars?
Perhaps books1?
Best wishes
Jan
Hi Jan,

I know of the cars and have spoken to (emailed) the previous owner about a year or so ago.
I believe you are getting a good example. They always appeared to be pretty top condition
in all the photos I've ever seen of them. So are you saying that he agreed to sell you the one
sedan separately to the other two? (I had seen his auction and thought he was offering them
as one deal). If so, good on ya!

BTW - I live in Western Australia, he lives in Queensland.........
(about the same distance from LA to New York?) :)

oldone
360 Master

#17 Post by oldone »

kjrcace360fan wrote:The autobahn? Always dreamed of driving without restriction. One of the motivations of owning a 360. Can't wait do drive it all out!!! I've had an 06 STI since it was new and for 75000 miles I've been holding my foot up for most of the time. It's cool just to drop the hammer an not worry about Barney! Barney pulled me over once when I was dodging a pot hole, I never crossed the center line just used the emergency lane for a short dodge. He was coming toward me on a 2 lane bridge and turned in the middle of the bridge just to pull me over. Now who was making the biggest interruption to traffic flow? He checked my crap and it was all good. He let me go which was cool but what crap pile reason to pull someone over.
yes, the autobahn! but most rental cars aren't fast enough for the inside lane. also have driven in 49 states can't seem to get the last one.

fastchicken

#18 Post by fastchicken »

Hello friends,
normally a right hand drive like the Subaru 360 is not so comfortable to drive in Germany, but I think that I will not be able to overtake so often with this little car.
But I like cars which the germans do not know very well. I also own a Sunbeam Alpine MK V and every day when I am driving this car you can hear the crowd: Triumph, Austin Healey? Something british? I love this and if you want to take part in a touristic event for vintage cars which are often organized in Gemany, you ever will be accepted with such a car. The fifth Mercedes 300 SL will be refused, but an unique vehicle like this lovely little 360 is welcome everywhere!
And for highspeed driving on a german autobahn which is not often possible because of the traffic you have to take another car.
I drove from Sydney to Melbourne in 2002 with a well-motorized Holden, I think it was a Monaro on extremely empty highways through the state of Victoria and three months later we got the speeding ticket via GM Australia and GM Europe. It is crazy!
So I hope to get the little car very soon, but I think it will last about three months and I hope the ship will not do the same like the container transporter near New Zealand this week.
Best regards and good night,
Jan

books1
360 Master

#19 Post by books1 »

oldone wrote:
kjrcace360fan wrote:The autobahn? Always dreamed of driving without restriction. One of the motivations of owning a 360. Can't wait do drive it all out!!! I've had an 06 STI since it was new and for 75000 miles I've been holding my foot up for most of the time. It's cool just to drop the hammer an not worry about Barney! Barney pulled me over once when I was dodging a pot hole, I never crossed the center line just used the emergency lane for a short dodge. He was coming toward me on a 2 lane bridge and turned in the middle of the bridge just to pull me over. Now who was making the biggest interruption to traffic flow? He checked my crap and it was all good. He let me go which was cool but what crap pile reason to pull someone over.
yes, the autobahn! but most rental cars aren't fast enough for the inside lane. also have driven in 49 states can't seem to get the last one.
"Fun, fun, fun on the autobahn"...

:D

books1
360 Master

#20 Post by books1 »

fastchicken wrote:Hello to everybody!
My name is Jan Hennen, I am a journalist from Germany and 56 years old.(...)
My first questions: Are there any activities from the Subaru360Club also in Europe, especially in Germany? I would like to get contact to other Subaru 360 owners.(...)

Hope to hear from some of you soon, best wishes from Germany,
Jan
OK Jan...... this is probably the longest shot in history, but here goes....

Here's a couple of piccys of a Subaru 360 I snapped in Portugal, waaaaaaaay back in 1979 (I was on my "Grand Tour" - long hair past the collar and long pockets to suit { on a very tight budget, hitchhiking around Europe!} , getting picked up by some strange folk in cars, having loaded guns pointed at me, but all in all a great time for 10 months) :

- Notice the sticker on the rear of the vehicle? Koln (Cologne) I believe? :D

(Mind you, this is 1979 we're talking about here..... but you never know!)

Cheers,

Ian

books1
360 Master

#21 Post by books1 »

Methinks I forgot to make my point - I was wondering Jan, if they happened to be German number plates on that car - perhaps you might have the ability over there to trace the owner from them ( I thought they could be Bremen number plates??) .... we used to be able to do that over here, but nowadays they have clamped down on all that sort of stuff... for security purposes of course.

Ahh... them woz the days!!!

:D

fastchicken

#22 Post by fastchicken »

Hi Ian,

these are very nice pictures, but unfortunately the plates are portugues! Germans have black letters on white ground and Bremen has HB for "Hansestadt Bremen".
But the Köln Sticker is right.

Now I have to work on the transfer of my little girl cfrom down under to Germany. I will keep you informed!

Jan

books1
360 Master

#23 Post by books1 »

No worries Jan,

I always say "it's worth a try" ...

but thanks for the info!

Maybe they visited Köln on their "Grand Tour" !

Cheers,

Ian

Smithrob1
360 Fanatic

#24 Post by Smithrob1 »

Great to have you aboard!!! You are in very good hands with the crew in this community!

~Smitty

Bitte entshuldigung meine späte Begrüßung!
~Smitty (Robert Smith) | Proud Owner of a 1969 Subaru 360 Van ~The Mistress~
Web: http://www.smittymicro.com