Electric conversion story

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

Electric conversion story

#1 Post by Tony2ltr »

Hi guys, my Name is Tony R, I live in CT, where I teach Alternative Fuels ,GM and Toyota classes at Gateway Community College.
Let me tell you of a brief history of my Subaru Van.
It resided at my first job at an Auto restoration place when I was about 15
the van was dropped off, resto started, then the owner disappeared.
When I was about 28 I bought it, because I still was doing some side work for the owner.
It was sandblasted and completely stripped and the engine had been blown. Every single part for the van was in a box, except for the four doors. Anyhow, I put the thig together with some parts I bought from a guy names Chris Gurga here in Ct and later from the club, which of course I found out about AFTER I put the whole car together.
I hate 2 strokes, but I did a really good job of getting the engine together by sifting through parts rooms at the kwasaki and honda dealers, and measuring seals by size, and looking them up in the NAPA catalog.
The engine ran great, but one day I was driving down a hill, and notice I had reached 65 MPH or so, at the instant I realised this was too fast, the engine seized.
SO I did a really crazy thing that I talked about on the old message board, but no one really believed me. I took the power unit apart, and made a jack shaft with the same bearing diameters, and about 3 inches longer than the stock crank, blocked off the cyl holes with plates, and put a sprocket on where the blower fan would normally go. Then I cut a hole in the floors behind the rear seat in the van, and mounted a Suzuki 600 katana engine to the frame, with a chain going back to drive the stock subaru transmission. 24 FWD gears, Six reverse!!!!
but the problem was the 600 made too much noise and power that the stock subie clutch(diaphragm style) could not handle. However, I got the van up to about 80mph on the turnpike at about 10,000 RPMs one time.
Then, I tried to stop. This is when I realized the whole thing was a bad Idea, as we were almost killed whe someone pulled out in front of us.
This and some other design problems (AIR BOX and chain guards, and having two shifters) made me take it apart for an electric conversion.
I have 10 deep cycle batteries now(120 volt system), and a 20 HP electric motor, the van runs and moves, but the brakes are still a problem. I rebuilt the master with the VW parts, but just about all my components were so badly pitted that despite honing and rebuiding them all, still leak.
some are worse than others, but it makes me really mad that my newly painted body and wheels are getting brake fluid thrown all over them when I drive the car. I am a member, so I have the reprints books, but I have just moved, and cant find any of them.
Will the Justy wheel cylinders fit the rear of the vans?
Is there a well established way to upgrade the fronts to discs? or are there at least something I can use for replacing those wheel cylinders?
II know there is probably another place to discuss these problems, so I will go looking, meanwhile, I will try to post a picture of my modified engine assembly.
-OH, there must be another place to do this, usually on these types of forums you can post pics with the messages.-I'll keep looking.
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony
69 Sambar converted to electric (ADC motor, and curtis controller) just registered in CT.!
75 Cosworth Vega Turbo with Megasquirt Fuel injection
88 Megasquirt controlled Toyota pickup
92 Biodiesel powered Jetta

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#2 Post by subaru360nut »

Tony - the 1988 Justy rear wheel cyls will work on your van, you will have to enlarge the mounting holes a little - see thread on (I think) General questions about these. I will have a bigger article in the next issue based on all the info on that thread.

If your front cyls. are leaking too, I think the best option, if they are too pitted for new seals to hold, is to have them all sleeved. I use Sierra Specialty Automotive in Quincy CA, 1-800-4BRASS1

I still have the new seals for all 360 wheel cylinders. I will be gone Aug 9-22, but after that will be here to fill orders & answer posts and e-mails again.

It is possible to pist pix on this Discussion Board, I just don't know how to do it, but others have done it .

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#3 Post by Tony2ltr »

Hello Ed! I purchased the coilspring (nickel shimmed) clutch for my electric van from you last fall? to replace the diaphragm unit that was slipping from the high electric motor torque. So far after driving it just a few miles on your "high performance" unit, I think it may have slipped just a little bit, but I really have not driven it enough to tell, and no where near as bad as the old clutch. It drove up a very steep ramp onto a trailor with no slipping. It may have to wear in a bit. I also wanted to tell you that I think the powerunit clutch/flywheel cover (with the throwout/release bearing assembly) did not seem to fit, and I ended up having to grind some material from the inside of the cover so the new coilspring clutch would spin without hitting it.
Do you know what the diameter of the front wheel cylinders are?
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony
69 Sambar converted to electric (ADC motor, and curtis controller) just registered in CT.!

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#4 Post by subaru360nut »

Tony - make sure you used the right throwout bearing! The one for the diaphragm clutch has a rounded face, the one for the Jeffersonian Clutch is flat on the face.

ID of van frone wheel cylinders is 15/16", it's cast right into the side of the cylinder. Rears are 5/8"

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#5 Post by Tony2ltr »

Ed, you knew that I was switching styles of clutches, so you most likely sent me the release bearing that went with the right assembly, besides, it wasn't that the cover would not bolt all the way down because the release bearing was pushing on the levers, it was that the pressure plate was hitting the cover, so I had to remove a little material from the inside of the cover to allow the cover to sit flush, and to allow the pressure plate and flywheel to turn. Now... keep in mind that the flywheel is mounted on a shaft that I made! so there is the possibility that the tapered part of the shaft (that would normally be the crankshaft end) might stick out a few thousandths of an inch more, due to my amature machine work!. but is there that possibility that the trans clutch end covers for these two different styles of clutches are different?
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#6 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Hi Tony!
This may be off topic,
I remember talking to you a long time ago when no one believed you installed the Katana engine in your van. I have a question. Would you want to sell any of your conversion parts. Jackshaft, sprockets, Katana engine?. I realize your may be using your jackshaft and or other parts for your electric motor set up, but I thought I'd ask anyways. Thanks Mark
ImageImageImage

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#7 Post by subaru360nut »

Tony - the clutch cover, the aluminum housing that holds the throwout bearing etc., is identical for all 360s no matter which clutch assy. they use.

Either complete clutch assy. will work in any 360, provided the correct throwout bearing is used - but the separate parts of the 2 kinds of clutches are not interchangeable.

The clearances are probably pretty close in there!

Ed

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

electric subiepic

#8 Post by Tony2ltr »

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=125464#125464
here is the link for the electric motor picture of my power unit.

Mark, I am so sorry, I just moved, so the katana engine is gone, along with all the wiring,etc. Someone is going to make a gokart from it!

but,,,I'll bet you could use the new motor I have, I was going to make a hybrid 360, and spent a lot of time modifying the trans section to only have one overdrive gear, instead of 5 underdrive gears of a CX500 motor (a much better pick for the application. All the crazy shifting with the katana engine (Two shifters) taugh me that a chain spinning like crazy at Idle (I had to keep the Katana motor Idling in 6th gear to drive in a normal range) It was all just way too much, I finally pulled the front wheel off the ground a little one day, and pretty much wrecked all the motor mounts. But I have better mounting Ideas now which might help. but you would need at least a good machine shop to help you along.
Unfortunately I do not have the drawings of the original jackshaft, Wait, I may have found some discs from the cadkey class I was taking at the time that had the drawing on it, but I don't have cadkey to open it, even if I could find the right disc.

The thing is though, I have also spent a lot of dough (about $250) on Gaskets to put it back together, which is only partially done, the case side covers need to be intalled, and the carbs put back together(they're easy).
It is shaft drive which provides some unique opportunities, for driving the stock sub trans with a drive plate, bearings, and a power belt, much like you see in the link, but it would take a lot of room in the back, and you would have to build a shroud over it.

If I were to start all over, and Ed, please take no offense, I would try to mount a set of four stroke cylinders where the two strokers go, or at least , yes, bore and sleeve the 360 cylinders for an appropriate piston (mainly to close off the ports) and mount 4 stroke heads on the power unit with a belt driven cam, like a car motor. Preferably watercooled, so you could make a real heater!

But let me know if you are interested in the cx motor.

Ed, BTW, My address has changed, I am going to send you a personal message with my new Address, is this ok?

-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#9 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Hi Tony,

Your pictures appears to be for registered megasquirt forum users only.

I didn't know the Katana engine chain was always spinning. Let me read and think about your post some more.....

Mark
ImageImageImage

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#10 Post by subaru360nut »

Tony - you can e-mail me your new address at subaru360nut@aol.com

They should forward your Sept. issue (mailed last week) - if you don't get it by Aug 22 e-mail me and I'll send you another one at the new address, or e-mail you the Sept. issue. I'll be out of town til then.

Ed

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#11 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Hi Tony,
Do you have any pictures of your electric motor setup? I'd like to see in particular the sprocket and chain parts. I assume you used the cooling fan side of the Subaru 360 engine.? Can sprockets be found that would fit in place of the 360 cooling fan? The crank has a keyway, is well supported by a bearing, and appears to have a slight taper and can be locked on with a nut.
Thanks, Mark
ImageImageImage

75subie

#12 Post by 75subie »

take a look at this guy's setup, it looks like a simular idea:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/697.html

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#13 Post by Tony2ltr »

It most certainly is similar, but there is no way he will be able to get any drive power from vbelts.-well maybe with a lot of burning rubber!-from the belts.
- I will have to try to get a picture posted another way,,,
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#14 Post by Tony2ltr »

I ended up talking to this guy, he says the setup works very well.
Has good performance and all that.

Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#15 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Tony
Instructions for posting pictures are in the visitors section.
I'd like to see your setup.
ImageImageImage

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#16 Post by Tony2ltr »

Yeah, I don't have a website that they are posted on, maybe I should look into that. The MS pictures were removed, they clean house once in a while to save on server space. Can your email take a couple?

Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

mpilihp
360 Master

#17 Post by mpilihp »

Hi Tony Id be interested in seeing your electric conversion as well.

You can set up an account and post pictures for free on http://www.photobucket.com Works great and then you can LINK pictures into your postings here. Use the LINK text under each of the pictures and it will display on this forum.

THanks
~ Phil Morneault

Trying to make one running 360 from three!

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

Electric Subaru Pictures

#18 Post by Tony2ltr »

Here they are

I really don't have a lot of pictures of it yet, I have some finish work to do, soon I will put some more on here. I want to be driving it to work for the fall.
The motor bay is much cleaner now, these were in process pictures.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

Tom
360 Master

#19 Post by Tom »

That looks neat. Stupid question, why do you need a starter and an alternator?
-Tom

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#20 Post by Tony2ltr »

not so stupid really, I was thinking that the starter might be nice to have for an emergency "get you off the road with the Auxillary battery" kind of thing, and it fills the hole. The alternator keeps the Aux battery charged and eventuall I will interrupt the field with a switches on the accelerator and brake pedal so it will charge the 12 volt battery during decel only.

Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

mpilihp
360 Master

#21 Post by mpilihp »

Hi Tony thats neat, so how many batteries do you have and where did you stick them all?

What type of batteries are you using?

How fast and how far can your 360 travel?

Did you have to modify the suspension for the additional weight of the batteries??

Sorry to be a pain but that looks interesting.
~ Phil Morneault

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#22 Post by Tony2ltr »

There are 10 deep cycle marine batteries, for 120V They are under where the back seat is. (plywood box under the seat in the picture that is posted on the album in photobucket), My van is geared for 65 I can hit about 70 on a long flat.
The acceleration is really good, I can spin the tires in first, but because I sacrificed range for a light battery pack, I only have a 3 mile commute to work, the range is about 30 miles at best, but it is really hard to tell, my batteries were bought almost six years ago, and spent a long time sitting discharged, which is not good for them. I turned up the torsion bars a bit, but the GVWR is about 1900 lbs on the van, so it handles the weight very well.

This is the stainless Steel battery tray that the plywood box bolts down to. You can see the hole in the floor where the katana engine used to sit. There is a cover that goes over the area.
I don't have any problem answering questions,

Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

mpilihp
360 Master

#23 Post by mpilihp »

Ahhh I missed that, its a van so you have plenty of room, I was thinking a sedan.

I see you capped off the power unit where the cylinders attach. Are you driving to the crank shaft where the fan normally is? Did you replace the crank shaft with a stright one to minimize vibration of the crank and no flywheel and no pistons or is it not bad?

How about the main bearings? How are they being lubercated now or did you replace them with sealed ones?

Cool setup.
~ Phil Morneault

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#24 Post by Tony2ltr »

Yes, I made a shaft with all the same main bearing, snap ring and clutch end dimensions. The fan end is about 3 inches longer, if I did it again, I think it would be made longer. It is cut for a key, It should have been splined, but that was expensive. The bearings sit sealed in an oil bath now.

-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

Re: Electric conversion story

#25 Post by Tony2ltr »

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1155&p=6147#p6147

I just got it registered!!

Thanks Everybody, I post some updated pics soon!
-Thanks always,
Tony

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#26 Post by Tony2ltr »

Just wanted to let everyone know, I just put the Subi back on the road after some winter storage. Runs great, I had a flat tire, it is a good thing too, because I found that the left font wheel spindle nut had been walking loose! Anyhow, tire is fixed, took it out for Sushi...

Very happy
:), I wish I cold afford some Lithium Ion Batteries though.

-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

Re: Electric conversion story - Thinking about selling it.

#27 Post by Tony2ltr »

I'm thinking about selling the electric Subi, please let me know if you are interested....
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

Re: Electric conversion story-NEW LITHIUM BATTERY PACK!!WOO HOO!

#28 Post by Tony2ltr »

Hey SUBI PEOPLE! I just got my new Lithium Battery pack installed in the Sambar! IT IS SOOOOO FAST now! The new pack at 160 Volts and 60 amp hours allows me to accelerate in third gear up to about 60 in I would say under 10 seconds! (I have not really timed it thought) It pulls so hard it makes you wish there were headrests!
My top speed so far is about 75 miles per hour, I had about 75 percent more to go on the accelerator, but I didn't want to push it until I have some more charging cycles on the battery. NO lie though, it was faster by about 5 MPH when it had the suzuki motorcycle engine in it, but it is a LOT quieter in the van, and actually accelerates faster because I don't have to shift gears! The electric motor makes so much torque, and Ed's nickel clutch holds well enough that I can just put it in third gear and GO!
Anyhow, I would LOVE to add more batteries to improve my range, but not any time soon. $$$$$$$!!!! ANYONE WANT TO MAKE A DONATION????
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#29 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Pictures Tony!

Can you do a video?
ImageImageImage

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#30 Post by Tony2ltr »

Yeah, I should try that. Maybe I can get one of mny students to go for a drive to do some video shots. I don't have any new picture with the batteries, I am not really done mounting the new pack yet. I have been driving around with the pack wedged in with two lawn tractor tires!

-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#31 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Those lithiums must've cost you .... :D :P

I'd love to see a lithium EV 360 van burnout ( hint-hint )
ImageImageImage

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#32 Post by Tony2ltr »

THe Good thing is that the subi is so little I can get away with a 10khw pack and still have a viable electric car. Secondly, theb price of lithium is coming way down!
it is about 2/3 of what is was last year at this time.
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

StevenM
360 Master

#33 Post by StevenM »

You MUST post a bunch of pictures of the new batteries in place, engine bay, the whole thing.
How many HP is that motor? And please give us the details on the batteries - weight/size/price...

PS: I am still dragging my feet on that Citicar...

Steve

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#34 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Yes-yes- you must post pictures.
ImageImageImage

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#35 Post by Tony2ltr »

Ok, I may be willing to burnout, but as you know, tires are hard to come by!
Secondly, I am belt drive, and I am not really sure how long it will last. But you will have to tell me if you want a burnout in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear!
:wink:
I have a very small, 10 kilowatt-hour pack which consists of 2 seriesed packs of approx. 72 volts,(3.3 volts X 24 series sets of 2 parallel 30 AH cells) which is good for about 50 miles. They cost me about $4k. They are shangdong Hi-Power cells.

I'll get pics as soon as I can, btu I an having nore fun driving it!

-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#36 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Just any old burnout in a 360 van is monumental and photo worthy, don't break an axle!

4th gear burnout ? really? that is one grippy clutch!
ImageImageImage

StevenM
360 Master

#37 Post by StevenM »

Tony,

If you have a video camera and a tripod, shooting something like this with your van would be something to see. Or a person in place of a tripod can work too! Hopefully you won't need snow...

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#38 Post by 2stroketurbo »

StevenM wrote:Tony,

If you have a video camera and a tripod, shooting something like this with your van would be something to see. Or a person in place of a tripod can work too! Hopefully you won't need snow...
Ha! that is a great video if I say so myself. :P It was shot with a cheap tripod. I think it cost 9 dollar, I've used it for tons of stuff. The dollar store sells knock off's of those tripods. they cost one dollar. They are crap. I broke it taking it out of the package. Get the 9 dollar one with the metal ball pivot.
ImageImageImage

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

Re: Electric conversion story-now with a hot reporter!

#39 Post by Tony2ltr »

Not a burnout, but there is a hot reporter!!!!
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... ml&h=56f40
-Tony
-Thanks always,
Tony

StevenM
360 Master

#40 Post by StevenM »

That's a great program you are running. My local corner mechanic is a great guy and keeps my family's daily drivers patched up, but I am not sure he is ready to deal with issues relating to anything that runs (at least in part) on batteries.

Great to get your van in the story. I am sure most viewers just thought "what the...", and then it was gone.

Cool decal on the side of it! I cannot read the text and URL across the bottom. What does it say?

Steve

Tony2ltr
360 Newbie

#41 Post by Tony2ltr »

I guess I haven't been on for a while.
I believe it is http://www.neeaa.com
it is for the northeast electric auto association.
-Tony
there is also a yahoo group.
-Thanks always,
Tony

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#42 Post by Sigmaz »

StevenM wrote:That's a great program you are running. My local corner mechanic is a great guy and keeps my family's daily drivers patched up, but I am not sure he is ready to deal with issues relating to anything that runs (at least in part) on batteries.

Great to get your van in the story. I am sure most viewers just thought "what the...", and then it was gone.

Cool decal on the side of it! I cannot read the text and URL across the bottom. What does it say?

Steve

Its nice to see your friend and mine Reddy Kilowatt proudly representing electricity once again after all these years..

-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

books1
360 Master

#43 Post by books1 »

Jon, just a minor heads-up..... it looks as if you've flipped the piccy of Reddy

:?: :?:

books1
360 Master

Re: Electric conversion story-now with a hot reporter!

#44 Post by books1 »

Tony2ltr wrote:Not a burnout, but there is a hot reporter!!!!(...)
Nah...... that's just Rob Sass in drag! :cry:

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#45 Post by Sigmaz »

books1 wrote:Jon, just a minor heads-up..... it looks as if you've flipped the piccy of Reddy

:?: :?:
How about that...
I just grabbed one from the web.. lol..
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

StevenM
360 Master

#46 Post by StevenM »

Wow I had no idea that character was such an icon... look here.

Here even has a fan site... http://www.reddykilowatt.org/

Steve

jbills

#47 Post by jbills »

hey tony - J here. I'm in the process of restoring & upgrading an old Jet Industries (Subaru 600) Electravan, getting it up to par and back on the road.

right now I'm staring at basically a rolling chassis, and I could use some inspiration!

How about a little walkaround tour of your EV 360 van? I've seen the news video and it looks sweet... could I talk you into a little closer look? Surely someone over there has an iPhone or something and could record you and shoot it to youtube... possibly?