New member from Elsloo, Nederland, Europe

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

LeonM

New member from Elsloo, Nederland, Europe

#1 Post by LeonM »

Hello,
I am new here on the forum and club.
We own a white Subaru 360 Sedan unfinished project, almost ready welded and a running blue Subaru 360 Sedan. The first we bought in New Zealand in 1994, the second - which comes from Miami Florida - we bought in Hamburg, Germany somewhere in 1995/1996.
Restauration of the blue one was ready in 1999, we last used the car in 2003.
Last year I replaced the battery and refreshed the brake- and other fluids, and drove it to some classic car events when the weather was good.
Now we keep on doing this from time to time.
I could use a couple of synchro's for the blue one now, so if somebody has a set......
Maybe you recognize the blue 360, because years ago I send some pictures of the blue 360 to Ed (I think?), and they were shown somewhere on the 360Club website. I wasn't so good in using pc that time, so there was not much contact.
But now I am back!

If someone is interested in our last trip (Classic Days Schloss Dyck) take a look at;
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v110/ ... 1QQtppZZ16

rogerbhp
360 Master

Re: New member from Elsloo, Nederland, Europe

#2 Post by rogerbhp »

Synchros were reproduced about a year ago and should still be around. If you need the info on who repopped them, I'll try to find it. Welcome (back) to the club!!

brystheguy
360 Fanatic

#3 Post by brystheguy »

Nice car, but to be honest, I'm actually more interested in the moped on the right! She's a beauty. I love vintage pedal mopeds. Welcome back to the club.
Bryan

"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

books1
360 Master

#4 Post by books1 »

Welcome to the Club from "downunder" !

Sooo ... you have one RH drive and one LH drive then?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D

- and what's that nice little red microcar car hiding behind the bushes? NSu Prinz? Goggomobil? Fiat?

Cheers,

Ian

Garm
360 Master

#5 Post by Garm »

^ Everything they said + I Love that ragtop!! <3

oldone
360 Master

#6 Post by oldone »

welcome to the club from the oldone in norman oklahoma usa!! seen any heinkels or trojan 200s in your travels??

StevenM
360 Master

#7 Post by StevenM »

Hi Leon,

Welcome! I am glad you were able to get on the forums here.

I imagine you already have all the manuals for the 360, but if not, you can get them all here...
http://www.mysubaru360.com/manuals_and_documents/

Also, there is one more document that you MUST have, which is the "Book of Reprints", or "BOR". This is made of all the technical how-to pages from 30 years of club newsletters. Every possible issue regarding the 360 is covered there. I have sent you an email with the link to download it. Please do not share the link as it is only for clubmembers!

Steve

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

LeonM

#8 Post by LeonM »

Gone try to answer your questions, remarks;

Sure could use some synchros. Who sells them?

Vintage moped is a NSU Quickly, not mine but also not for sale...

Yes, one LHD (Blue) and one RHD (White)
The car behind the bush is a Vespa 400 Tourismo

Ragtop is produced out of a Mercedes Benz Cabrio Top, and made so that we easy can exchange it with the original roofsection.

Off course I see Heinkels and Trojans on my travels. They are very popular here.
And lots of other small cars are popular. Look in my PhotoBucket, page 2 picture 3 were you can see me drive behind a Bmw Isetta.

Ok thanks. I own manuals on microfiche and some other stuff.
It is always usefull to have extra info!

regards Leon

rogerbhp
360 Master

#9 Post by rogerbhp »

I just called Tony Rish in Connecticut, the guy who repopped the synchros. He says the club has (had?) several sets available to club members. If the club is sold out, I have a pair I can let go. Talk to the club first; then, if necessary, send me a PM.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#10 Post by subaru360nut »

Welcome - Tony Rish in CT has the 2-3 synchronizers, see ROSTER for his contact info.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#11 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome!

Is it possible you could show us how the top slides back on the blue car ?

Very nice !
ImageImageImage

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#12 Post by subaru360nut »

I think the extras Tony got made went to Frank Duval in VA, see Roster or the CLASSIFIEDS in any Newsletter for his contact info.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

LeonM

#13 Post by LeonM »

2stroketurbo wrote:Welcome!

Is it possible you could show us how the top slides back on the blue car ?

Very nice !
Hello,

inside there are 3 rods sawed into the top. They are equal long as the original roof plate.
If you take out the original roofparts, you have to slide it out to the rear.
The top opening works the same way, slide the rods back till the window.
The rods/tubes are flat on both ends and slide in the original roof/rear window rubber.
Opening en closing must be done from inside, and requires some time, but it works fine.

Leon

LeonM

#14 Post by LeonM »

subaru360nut wrote:I think the extras Tony got made went to Frank Duval in VA, see Roster or the CLASSIFIEDS in any Newsletter for his contact info.

Ed
OK, gone try that. Didn't get answer from Tony.

see Roster ??? I don't know where to look for ROSTER, what does it mean?
If I look for his name in Members, I can't find a member with this name.

StevenM
360 Master

#15 Post by StevenM »

Leon, I just emailed a roster to you. Look for Frank Duval in VIRGINIA.

Steve

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

LeonM

#16 Post by LeonM »

My cars and other 360's in my new album on;

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v110/ ... aru%20360/

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#17 Post by Sigmaz »

Very Nice to finally see you join the site.

I have been admiring your car for quite some time whenever it randomly appears in my Google searches.

Could you post some more detailed images of your ragtop?

Are there any bows in it?

How do you fasten it in the stowed position?

Are you employing any tracking, meaning, does it slide or is guided back or would it be loosely detached and flip flop folded back manually?

Other than the two rear snaps, how is it affixed to the rear window upper channel?

Looking at the pictures I see the original roof rubber and trim, it appears this conversion is to be more of a sun top than a rain stopper.
But with a sedan like that you probably don't run it much in the rain anyway.

Super nice car!
Thanks and welcome!
-Jon
ImageImage
'The little su-BAR-u... Wow.'

carlofsumner
360 Master

#18 Post by carlofsumner »

Sorry I'm late to the party but welcome to the club, again I assume and your car is very nice.

Carl
Sumner, Washington
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

LeonM

#19 Post by LeonM »

Sigmaz wrote:Very Nice to finally see you join the site.

I have been admiring your car for quite some time whenever it randomly appears in my Google searches.
Bin here long time ago, came back in aug. 2011. There also something about the roof, on earlier page / post in this Introduce yourselves

Could you post some more detailed images of your ragtop? They are in my Photobucket album now

Are there any bows in it? Yes 3, see pictures

How do you fasten it in the stowed position? With 3 "clickers" don't know the real name in your language

Are you employing any tracking, meaning, does it slide or is guided back or would it be loosely detached and flip flop folded back manually?
Yes ?? Slide it back, or you can take the bows out and fold it back. Easiest is the slide it back, bows slide in the original roof rubber. Till the 3 rows are together, put the 2 atached latches with clickers over them and they are snapped and can't go nowhere. You see the latches on the front of the roof (inside) when roof is closed -- see picture in Photobucket. Roof lays on the 3 rows when open

Other than the two rear snaps, how is it affixed to the rear window upper channel?
There is an allow strip were the roof is mounted/sawed on. This is atached on the original rear window and bolts.

Looking at the pictures I see the original roof rubber and trim, it appears this conversion is to be more of a sun top than a rain stopper.
You can drive it in the rain, roof is more rainproof then the sidewindows. Parking in the rain is no problem. Roof section is made of a Mercedes Cabrio top, which should be weatherproof. But I never use it when it rains. Drive it open al the time. Roof is only closed when it starts rain on my way (this happend only twice), or when parking

Super nice car!
Thanks and welcome!

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#20 Post by Sigmaz »

I apologize, I see you are a member since august 2011 on your avatar.. I didn't check..

Do you experience any problems sliding the bows back in the rubber channel?
does it bind or tear at all?

Also are the bows custom made for this application or were they simply refitted aluminum extrusion from another application.
Meaning, can I with little effort purchase a lawn chair and use pipe A and clip E with bolt B.
Or were they purchased as aluminum extrusion stock and modified for this task?

I ask all these questions because next to the original convertible hardware yours is the most appealing convertible setup.
Not having to drill tens of snaps into the body and retaining the rear window are a couple of nice options.

I am very fond of your top.. I think I may plan on trying to use this style.
Any drawings or patterns are more than welcome.. lol! :D
-Jon
ImageImage

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#21 Post by 2stroketurbo »

LeonM wrote:
Sigmaz wrote:Very Nice to finally see you join the site.

Bin here long time ago, came back in aug. 2011. There also something about the roof, on earlier page / post in this Introduce yourselves

Could you post some more detailed images of your ragtop? They are in my Photobucket album now

Are there any bows in it? Yes 3, see pictures

How do you fasten it in the stowed position? With 3 "clickers" don't know the real name in your language

Yes ?? Slide it back, or you can take the bows out and fold it back. Easiest is the slide it back, bows slide in the original roof rubber. Till the 3 rows are together, put the 2 atached latches with clickers over them and they are snapped and can't go nowhere. You see the latches on the front of the roof (inside) when roof is closed -- see picture in Photobucket. Roof lays on the 3 rows when open

There is an allow strip were the roof is mounted/sawed on. This is atached on the original rear window and bolts.

You can drive it in the rain, roof is more rainproof then the sidewindows. Parking in the rain is no problem. Roof section is made of a Mercedes Cabrio top, which should be weatherproof. But I never use it when it rains. Drive it open al the time. Roof is only closed when it starts rain on my way (this happend only twice), or when parking

Super nice car!
Thanks and welcome!

....sweetest 360 top I've ever seen
ImageImageImage

carlofsumner
360 Master

#22 Post by carlofsumner »

Leon:

I will bet that if you came up with a set of drawings and a material list there would be several people who would buy them. I would and I don't even have a 360 yet. I say I would because I want to make a convertible out of the 360 I buy.

CDJ
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale and named The Righteous Coach
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

LeonM

#23 Post by LeonM »

Sliding doesn't go easy, you have to take your time. One by one, piece by piece. Other way is to get the bows out. The bows are numbered, so I when take them out, I know where they came from. Then fold the roof back, put the bows in the latches so they stay in thecar/roof when tou're driving, and it is ready. Closing the roof is a bit more work, you have to attache the bows and center them in the roofrubber. Then slide everything back to close.
It is a simpel concept. Just like the car.

Sorry guys, don't have any drawings.
My father had this idea in his mind, went to an upholstery guy he knows. He made this, it wasn't cheap, but I think it is worth it!
So;
The memory of the expensive repair is long forgotten, while the joy of good work still continues.

Sigmaz
Site Admin

#24 Post by Sigmaz »

Thanks for the explanation, I figured they wouldn't slide too freely. But great concept anyway.

Still a fan.
-Jon
ImageImage

kjrcace360fan
360 Master

#25 Post by kjrcace360fan »

Maybe you could incorporate some very small roller bearings like used in Remote control car wheels with 4 screws in the ends of the hoops. Two screws high and two screws low and the bearings riding in the rubber channel with just enough clearance the the bearings would only contact the upper or low surface of the slot and not both.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie (Sold), DB1 Yatch car, DB2 Cheesburger dune buggy

LeonM

#26 Post by LeonM »

kjrcace360fan wrote:Maybe you could incorporate some very small roller bearings like used in Remote control car wheels with 4 screws in the ends of the hoops. Two screws high and two screws low and the bearings riding in the rubber channel with just enough clearance the the bearings would only contact the upper or low surface of the slot and not both.
That would be nice, the first 360 with remote controlled roof :wink: