New 360 Owner is South Florida

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

contento

New 360 Owner is South Florida

#1 Post by contento »

Greetings all! I'm the proud new owner of a '68 360 Sedan that I stumbled upon...and, cough cough, stole for a song! Here is the back story I have so far...

This car was a showroom floor car of a Subie dealer in Maryland back in the day. The car never sold, was never titled, and when the dealership closed, the owner took this little gem with him to South Florida. He towed it down (I have a front tow bar for this thing which is really kind of cool...keeps me from having to trailer it here and there) and accumulated a whopping 3500 miles on the odometer. I'm told, however, the car was never driven. Not sure if there is a way to verify this or not, but either way, 3500 miles is pretty darn low for a 42 year old car! The car was then given to the husband of the elderly lady I bought it from as a trade for services rendered. He was going to restore it (and began as you can see) but sadly got gravely ill and passed away. The car has been sitting for quite a long time and sadly, deteriorating in the South Florida conditions.

The car is all original still (interior, tires, etc). The seat backs (front and rear) are pretty much a loss and the door and side panels are dry and warped. The headliner has a good tear in it. The gas tank was removed to be repaired or replaced as it's rusted and has a few holes. The dash pad is cracked in a few places. The windshield has a small crack and it's missing the driver's side rear window (already have a replacement lined up!). The car could use all new seals I'm sure.

I have quite a bit of experience with classic cars, so I'm not skerd of this little feller. All in all, it's in really workable shape compared to a few others i've done!

Well, with that said, I'm off to post a list of questions and needs. Thanks to all in advance for any help you can offer! I look forward to meeting some of you someday.

Bryce
Bryce Contento
South Florida
'69? Subaru 360 Sedan

Licensed Rep: ACN
Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, NexTel, AllTel, DirecTV, Dish, ADT , Local & Long Distance, DSL, and the new Iris 3000 VIDEO Phone.
http://contento.acnrep.com

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

Re: New 360 Owner is South Florida

#2 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Hey there and welcome!. I don't know if you've joined the club yet, but many of your questions can be answered in the BOR. Mark
ImageImageImage

contento

#3 Post by contento »

Thanks Mark. Yes, I'm a new club member and my BOR CD is on the way...just antsy to get cooking on it!
Bryce Contento
South Florida
'69? Subaru 360 Sedan

Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, NexTel, AllTel, DirecTV, Dish, ADT , Local & Long Distance, DSL, and the new Iris 3000 VIDEO Phone.

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#4 Post by subaru360nut »

Bryce - congrats on becoming a 360 owner. Before you become a 360 DRIVER read P. 261 in Vol 2 of the BOR (the CD you are getting) - treat your engine as a new one and break it in by the book, just in case it has not been driven. It's always a good idea to follow the break-in schedule for ANY 360 that has not been driven for many years! If you break it in right the engine should go 100,000 miles before needing a rebuild.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

contento

#5 Post by contento »

Thanks Ed. Will do. I think it'll be a bit of time before I'm ready to fire her up and drive. I want to get in and around the motor as best as possible to clean it up, inspect it, etc. (not to mention have to learn the basics of this car!). I need to get a battery in her so I can start testing the electricals. I have a non-functionable gas tank (but for test firing purposes, I'll just use a gas can if need be!)

oh the questions! Come on BOR! Get here!
Bryce Contento
South Florida
'69? Subaru 360 Sedan

MJ
360 Master

#6 Post by MJ »

Welcome, Bryce!
Great history and it sounds like it has a bright future, in your hands!
-Mark
'70 Subaru 360 Young S
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes."
...Groucho