New Member in AZ with Van

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: Subie Gal, 2stroketurbo

FujiGuy

New Member in AZ with Van

#1 Post by FujiGuy »

Hello all,
Just a quick introduction. I just picked up a van last week. Pretty rough shape, but I did get it to start this weekend (although it did not run well).

Anyways, I am new to the 360 world, but not to Fuji Heavy Industries. I've had a several Fuji Rabbit scooters, and currently have a running 64 Rabbit 402, and a project 57 Rabbit Junior which I am hoping to put a modern Subaru Robin generator engine in. I also have a Subaru Baja to move everything around in...

I look forward to everyone's sage advice as I get this project on the road...

Here are some pictures so far of the van, as well as of the Rabbit 402 project:
Rabbit Photo Log
360 Van Photo Log

Regards,

Ryan

MJ
360 Master

Re: New Member in AZ with Van

#2 Post by MJ »

Welcome, Ryan!

I would like to add a Fuji Rabbit to my small stable, someday. Maybe you will be my "go-to guy" for all the particulars?

Ask alot of questions and post lots of photos! We like photos!
-Mark
'70 Subaru 360 Young S
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes."
...Groucho

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#3 Post by subaru360nut »

Ryan - I forget what year they told you that was, but I can tell from the transaxle top cover thatr it is a 4-speed, therefore a '69 or '70 - but whatever the AZ DOT wants to call it is fine as long as they give you plates for it! If they call it a '66 or earlier you have no emissions test - if they call it '67 or later and you get Hobby Car insurance on it you can still get an exemption from emisssions testing.

Enjoyes your Rabbit pix too!

Hope to meet you someday, let me know if you'r coming to Tucson any time.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

2stroketurbo
360 Master
Location: Portland Or. Where we avg 77 days of sunshine per year. Whoopee!

#4 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Welcome to the club! Nice pictures, judging by your other projects you'll have this van sparkling in no time.

Looks like your van is really sunbaked? is there any rust ? Can I ask how much you paid for it?

Mark
ImageImageImage

FujiGuy

#5 Post by FujiGuy »

There is quite a bit of surface rust on the roof, but no holes anywhere. Other than that no rust. It is pretty typical of an old Arizona car; the paint is ruined, but metal is intact.
I paid 600 for it.

Ryan

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#6 Post by subaru360nut »

Ryan - sounds like you got a bargain! Keep us up with your restoration progress please.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

StevenM
360 Master

#7 Post by StevenM »

wow what a deal. It looks like a fine base for a restoration. From the pictures it looks like you'll be needing a windshield - there is a member here who I believe is accumulating orders to get a batch reproduced (again). He's got repro van windshield gaskets as well.

You have surely come to the right place to get answers to questions as you go along! Also, if you need manuals you can download some of them from my site - link is below. I don't have them all there but am working on it. Ed has paper copies of all of them and I believe there is a club source for all of them on a CD as well.

Enjoy,
Steve

'70 Subaru 360 Young http://www.mysubaru360.com
'71 Honda 600 Coupe http://www.honda600coupe.com
'78 MG Midget http://www.1978mgmidget.com

azspud
360 Master

#8 Post by azspud »

Hey Ryan, is that a Triumph I see in the garage?

FujiGuy

#9 Post by FujiGuy »

Yep, Triumph Truxton among other things in the background...

05 Triumph Thruxton 900
64 Fuji Rabbit Touring
57 Fuji Rabbit Junior
79 MGB
6? Tiawan Panther Super Sport
84 Bajaj Auto Rickshaw
79 Motobecane Mobylette
05 Subaru Baja
71 Subaru 360 Van

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#10 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Hey Ryan, checking out your list of cool stuff there......I have a 1959 or 1960 Mobylette 88 . The motor pivot variator is a trip.! I pulled it out of trash bin and semi restored it. I've ridded with the Portland "Puddle Cutters" a few times. Blows them away I can keep up.

Ride on!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3471&hl=en

Mark
ImageImageImage

azspud
360 Master

#11 Post by azspud »

This one is in my garage, but is for sale.

FujiGuy

#12 Post by FujiGuy »

Hey, I know some of the Puddle Cutters. Tell them the Tom Cruisers say hello. When I picked up my 64 Rabbit we also picked up an early 60's motobecane. A buddy of mine is trying to restore it. They are fun little bikes. Here's a photo of my two wheeled fleet (hopefully I did the link correctly) that is either running or close. The 57 Rabbit is still in pieces, so not shown. I am going to attempt to but a Subaru Robin engine (they sell them at Harbor Freight) into it. It should be a fun project.
Anybody ever pulled a trailer with a 360? I'd really like to build a small trailer someday so I can load the rabbits and pull them with the van to rallies.

FujiGuy

#13 Post by FujiGuy »

OK, here's the picture. I can't wait to have the 360 running and pulling a few of these.

I'm going to pick up a set of new rings in two weeks. I have my fingers crossed that I will have a fully functional engine at that point. Then on to cosmetics.

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#14 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Where are you getting your Subaru 360 rings ?

I've never seen a factory ring go bad unless the piston failed/ ring land got melted.

I accidentally broke one of the new rings while installing oversize pistons the club had made up and need to replace it....
ImageImageImage

2stroketurbo
360 Master

#15 Post by 2stroketurbo »

Oh, I forgot, to answer your trailer questions. You will need a LIGHT trailer, as light as possible, a new perfomance clutch ( PP with more holding grip), upgraded engine mounts, and high compression heads for more torque to pull a motocycle trailer with your van. Check the performance section on this boad for my write up's.

It will do it, but marginal, don't expect 60mph top speeds.
ImageImageImage

FujiGuy

#16 Post by FujiGuy »

I broke 1 ring when re-installing cylinders after inspecting pistons. I've inspected a lot of cylinders/pistons, and never had that happen before. :oops:

I ran a compression test of the good cylinder, and it is way below spec, so I am hoping new rings will take care of the problem. There is no scoring on the cylinders. The engine has never siezed, so I am hoping new rings will put the compression back within spec.
There is a guy in california in the scooter scene who also has a lot of Rabbit and 360 stuff laying around. He says he has rings. I'll find out in a couple weeks when I am out that way...

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru

#17 Post by subaru360nut »

I think Frank Duval still has some of the Grant cast-iron rings for these. They need to be file-fit for end gap, then have a corner cut out to match the Subaru rings on each end - to clear the little locator pin that keeps the ring from rotating.

See article in BOR "Hop to avoid breakitn piston rings", P. 269.

Ed