*** The forum has just been updated please report any issues that you may experience***
(You can clear this alerts by clicking the X in the top right corner)
Thanks! -jon

Hello from SoCal

Place to come in and say HI to the club after you have registered

Moderators: 2stroketurbo, Subie Gal

Post Reply
Author
Message
SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Hello from SoCal

#1 Post by SLOMO69 » 8 months ago

Happy 2018 everyone. I have been wanting a van for awhile now and started seriously looking for the last 2 years. Finally found a 69 van in Costa Mesa Ca. 4 months ago in pretty decent condition. Body straight, no rust and engine starts up just fine but no breaks on any of the four wheels to test drive. Bought it away and the van went straight to body & paint after leaving Costa Mesa. 2 months later van is home in the garage ready for restoration. I’m not much of mechanic but luckily here in SoCal we have a guy name Joe and so glad he came to the rescue. Not sure where to even start if Joe weren’t around. Also fortunate enough to meet a few local 360 owners near by (Jeff T, Garm, Enrique T, Steve V, Dave R, Anthony C). Cool group of guys and really appreciate their inputs. Anyhow, not doing a frame off restoration by any means but just repairing/replacing available parts as we move along. Super excited to get this van on the road and looking forward to drive the kids to school.........hmmm missing rear bench seat so might have to figure out some alternatives. Definitely will keep everyone posted with photos on progress and thanks for your help in advance.

Bong

Current status:
- taking inventory of missing parts
- disassembling and repairing rear axle,breaks, master cylinder, steering system and front and rear suspension
- engine pulled for rebuild (thanks Garm for pistons and all the gaskets)
- tons of parts to powder coat
- gas tank at radiator shop
- new windshield delivery today...I hope (thanks Billy P)
- new oil bottle, lenses and light gaskets (thanks Bobby D)

Missing a few major parts:
- rear bench seat
- rear hatch T handle
- air cleaner
Attachments
IMG_E9263.jpg
IMG_9456.jpg
IMG_3102.jpg
IMG_2861.jpg
IMG_1473.jpg
Last edited by SLOMO69 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldone
360 Master
Posts: 3980
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Norman Okla / OU SOONERS Thunder

Re: Hello from Socal

#2 Post by oldone » 8 months ago

Welcome aboard !! :D You are doing a good job from the looks of the pics, it takes time to round up all the pieces, but you have a good start on that also! :wink: Hope to see some smoke soon........ :lol:

J.Blakeman
360 Master
Posts: 305
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: Muskegon MI

Hello from Socal

#3 Post by J.Blakeman » 8 months ago

It’s looking great! They look tons better in their original color also. I take it you don’t have to have a front plate there? I had the bracket taken off my truck when I restored it also. I think it looks better without the plate up front. (Besides, who needs all that wind drag from a plate)?!
I’ll second what Wayne said also! Looking forward to seeing some smoke soon!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1969 Pick Up
1970 Pick up
1968 ? Hot Dog Truck
Beautiful sugar sand beaches
Muskegon Michigan

Jeff_Tsui
360 Fanatic
Posts: 211
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: southern ca LA

Re: Hello from Socal

#4 Post by Jeff_Tsui » 8 months ago

Hello Bong,

There should be a small car show this Saturday Morning at TGI friday on Colima in Rowland HTs. I will be there around 8am-9am. If you want to meet up we can go cruise around a bit with my van and Isseta if you know how to work the stick shift.

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from Socal

#5 Post by SLOMO69 » 8 months ago

oldone wrote:
8 months ago
Welcome aboard !! :D You are doing a good job from the looks of the pics, it takes time to round up all the pieces, but you have a good start on that also! :wink: Hope to see some smoke soon........ :lol:
Thanks @ Oldone

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from Socal

#6 Post by SLOMO69 » 8 months ago

J.Blakeman wrote:
8 months ago
It’s looking great! They look tons better in their original color also. I take it you don’t have to have a front plate there? I had the bracket taken off my truck when I restored it also. I think it looks better without the plate up front. (Besides, who needs all that wind drag from a plate)?!
I’ll second what Wayne said also! Looking forward to seeing some smoke soon!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Jon! Been following along on your truck restoration and it's looking phenomenal. Might have a few questions for you about parts.

Bong

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from Socal

#7 Post by SLOMO69 » 8 months ago

Jeff_Tsui wrote:
8 months ago
Hello Bong,

There should be a small car show this Saturday Morning at TGI friday on Colima in Rowland HTs. I will be there around 8am-9am. If you want to meet up we can go cruise around a bit with my van and Isseta if you know how to work the stick shift.
Hey Jeff! Thanks for the invite but have to work Saturday. Love to meet the Isseta someday.

AnthonyC
360 Master
Posts: 509
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: long beach,california

Re: Hello from Socal

#8 Post by AnthonyC » 8 months ago

Looking good Bong
Let me know if you need parts
You have my cell number

User avatar
carlofsumner
360 Master
Posts: 660
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Sumner, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Hello from Socal

#9 Post by carlofsumner » 8 months ago

Welcome aboard! You're in for a fun ride. I don't have a van but maybe someday. I have a sedan I am rehabbing to tow behind this little rig.
Ultra Van.jpg
Ultra Van.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

J.Blakeman
360 Master
Posts: 305
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: Muskegon MI

Re: Hello from Socal

#10 Post by J.Blakeman » 8 months ago

SLOMO69 wrote:
J.Blakeman wrote:
8 months ago
It’s looking great! They look tons better in their original color also. I take it you don’t have to have a front plate there? I had the bracket taken off my truck when I restored it also. I think it looks better without the plate up front. (Besides, who needs all that wind drag from a plate)?!
I’ll second what Wayne said also! Looking forward to seeing some smoke soon!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Jon! Been following along on your truck restoration and it's looking phenomenal. Might have a few questions for you about parts.

Bong
Thanks Bong! I need to pick up the pace a little. I was going along at a nice clip, and then vacation, Christmas, New Years, etc, etc. it’s harder to get motivated when it’s snowing 8” per day also!!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1969 Pick Up
1970 Pick up
1968 ? Hot Dog Truck
Beautiful sugar sand beaches
Muskegon Michigan

J.Blakeman
360 Master
Posts: 305
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: Muskegon MI

Re: Hello from Socal

#11 Post by J.Blakeman » 8 months ago

carlofsumner wrote:Welcome aboard! You're in for a fun ride. I don't have a van but maybe someday. I have a sedan I am rehabbing to tow behind this little rig.
Ultra Van.jpg
The Ultra Van is SWEET! I would LOVE to have one! My parents had a 1973 GMC Glacier Motorhome when I was little. I like the Ultra better.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1969 Pick Up
1970 Pick up
1968 ? Hot Dog Truck
Beautiful sugar sand beaches
Muskegon Michigan

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from Socal

#12 Post by SLOMO69 » 8 months ago

carlofsumner wrote:
8 months ago
Welcome aboard! You're in for a fun ride. I don't have a van but maybe someday. I have a sedan I am rehabbing to tow behind this little rig.
Ultra Van.jpg
Love your Ultra Van Carl! Like you, I also have a 65 Corvair sitting next to the 360.

Bong
Attachments
IMG_6665.jpg

subaru360nut
Club Founder - 360 Guru
Posts: 3508
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: Tucson AZ (I'm Ed Parsil)

Re: Hello from Socal

#13 Post by subaru360nut » 8 months ago

Welcome to The Club!
Until you find an original air filter, go to a Motorcycle store
and get a small air filter that goes right on the carb, 1 7/8 ID

It is not a good thing to run a 360 (or any engine) with no air filter
installed.

Ed
300,000+ miles on Subaru 360s since Feb. 1975, and have never (yet) been stuck on the road with one!

AnthonyC
360 Master
Posts: 509
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: long beach,california

Re: Hello from Socal

#14 Post by AnthonyC » 8 months ago

subaru360nut wrote:
8 months ago
Welcome to The Club!
Until you find an original air filter, go to a Motorcycle store
and get a small air filter that goes right on the carb, 1 7/8 ID

It is not a good thing to run a 360 (or any engine) with no air filter
installed.

Ed
Bong
I may have an extra airfilter (motorcycle) laying around i came across the other day you can use if you want
you can swing by and pick it up

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from Socal

#15 Post by SLOMO69 » 8 months ago

AnthonyC wrote:
8 months ago
subaru360nut wrote:
8 months ago
Welcome to The Club!
Until you find an original air filter, go to a Motorcycle store
and get a small air filter that goes right on the carb, 1 7/8 ID

It is not a good thing to run a 360 (or any engine) with no air filter
installed.

Ed
Bong
I may have an extra airfilter (motorcycle) laying around i came across the other day you can use if you want
you can swing by and pick it up
Thanks Anthony!

User avatar
books1
360 Master
Posts: 4427
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Perth, Western Australia ..... Young SS downunder

Re: Hello from Socal

#16 Post by books1 » 8 months ago

Looking good, Bong! That Ultra is very nice, too. Welcome to the Club!

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from SoCal

#17 Post by SLOMO69 » 1 month ago

The kids call him "CHUBS".
After a long year of restoration, he's 97% done. Big THANK YOU to a hand full of friends from this 360 forum. Without you guys, I would have given up months ago. Also like to thank Joe, our legendary SoCal mechanic, for taken on this project and supporting it all the way though. Very happy with how CHUBS turned out and learned more about Subaru than I can ever imagine. Here's a few pix from this past year.

Bong
Attachments
IMG_7020.jpg
IMG_7020.jpg (108.76 KiB) Viewed 230 times
IMG_7006.jpg
IMG_4508.jpg
IMG_7614.jpg

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from SoCal

#18 Post by SLOMO69 » 1 month ago

before upholstery
Attachments
IMG_9735 2.jpg
IMG_9725 2.jpg
IMG_9723.jpg
IMG_9709 2.jpg

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from SoCal

#19 Post by SLOMO69 » 1 month ago

after upholstery
Attachments
IMG_0979.jpg
IMG_0929 3.jpg
IMG_0878.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from SoCal

#20 Post by SLOMO69 » 1 month ago

Exterior
Attachments
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from SoCal

#21 Post by SLOMO69 » 1 month ago

dash and undercarriage
Attachments
IMG_0633.jpg
IMG_0982.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg

User avatar
carlofsumner
360 Master
Posts: 660
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Sumner, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Hello from SoCal

#22 Post by carlofsumner » 1 month ago

What a great job you've done!
Carl D
1968 Ultra Van 400 - referred to as a whale
1970 Subaru sedan- referred to as an Orca chaser

AnthonyC
360 Master
Posts: 509
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: long beach,california

Re: Hello from SoCal

#23 Post by AnthonyC » 1 month ago

You did an awesome job Bong,
I will have to drive over in the truck so we can go cruse Whittier Blvd :shock: :shock:

User avatar
books1
360 Master
Posts: 4427
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Perth, Western Australia ..... Young SS downunder

Re: Hello from SoCal

#24 Post by books1 » 1 month ago

W O W :!: :D

Ted494
360 Fanatic
Posts: 157
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Munich

Re: Hello from SoCal

#25 Post by Ted494 » 1 month ago

Congrats! Very nice! What brand and where did you get the spot lights from?

User avatar
books1
360 Master
Posts: 4427
Joined: 7 years ago
Location: Perth, Western Australia ..... Young SS downunder

Re: Hello from SoCal

#26 Post by books1 » 1 month ago

Two sets similar to those (one set had lens flutes, the others were plain clear) went up for auction on Yahoo Japan Auctions last week. They had Subaru "boomerang" logos in the glass lenses.
Last edited by books1 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLOMO69
Posts: 48
Joined: 11 months ago
Location: SoCal

Re: Hello from SoCal

#27 Post by SLOMO69 » 1 month ago

Ted494 wrote:
1 month ago
Congrats! Very nice! What brand and where did you get the spot lights from?
Andrew - United Pacific C364007 Chrome Vintage Amber Fog Light 12V. Got them from Amazon.

User avatar
kjrcace360fan
360 Master
Posts: 2666
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: Charleston, West Virginia

Re: Hello from SoCal

#28 Post by kjrcace360fan » 1 month ago

Nice work! Excellent interior too.
Spud the Orange Young, Hippie, Little John the Truck & Dune Buggy.

Ted494
360 Fanatic
Posts: 157
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Munich

Re: Hello from SoCal

#29 Post by Ted494 » 1 month ago

books1 wrote:
1 month ago
Two sets similar to those (one set had lens flutes, the others were plain clear) went up for auction on Yahoo Japan Auctions last week. They had Subaru "boomerang" logos in the glass lenses.
I will have a look,thanks

Ted494
360 Fanatic
Posts: 157
Joined: 1 year ago
Location: Munich

Re: Hello from SoCal

#30 Post by Ted494 » 1 month ago

SLOMO69 wrote:
1 month ago
Ted494 wrote:
1 month ago
Congrats! Very nice! What brand and where did you get the spot lights from?
Andrew - United Pacific C364007 Chrome Vintage Amber Fog Light 12V. Got them from Amazon.
Thanks for the info. Do they come with the hardware for hooking them up to the electric system? Any chance you can take some photos of how you fitted them? Cheers

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests